Does God's foreknowledge take away from free will?

by Christ Alone 317 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

This was being discussed off topic on another thread, so I wanted to move it here. The comment was made by Entirely Possible:

Freewill was abolsutely taken away if God foreknew. If freewill was involved and someone decided to do something different than God foresaw, then he is no God at all and didn't foresee anything. If they HAVE to proceed as God foresaw, then they never had a choice.

My response was:

I figured that this would be brought up. But this just doesn't hold up to logic. Just by knowing what will happen, that doesn't mean that we can prevent or cause something to happen. The sun will rise tomorrow. I know that. But I am not causing it to rise, nor am I preventing it from rising. If I put a bowl of vegetables and a bowl of ice cream in front of my child, I know which one they are going to choose. My knowing that does not prevent them the free will of making the choice.

It's the same with God. His knowing what we are going to do/choose doesn't mean that we don't have the freedom to do something else. It simply means that God knows what we will CHOOSE to do ahead of time. Knowing is not controlling.

Part of the issue has to do with time. If the past and the future exist for God just as the present does, the God is consistently in all places at all times and is not restricted by time. God is not subject to time. God is not a linear entity. If God is not restricted to existence in the present, then the future is known by God because God indwells the future as well as the present and the past. This would mean that our future choices, as free as they are, are simply known by God.

Part of the WT problem scripturally is restricting God to the present. His existence is defined in such a way as to imply that time is part of His nature and that He is restricted by it.

There is no logical reason to claim that if God knows what choices we are going to make that it means we are not free. It still means that the free choices we will make are free -- they are just known ahead of time by God. If we choose something different, then that choice will have been eternally known by God. This knowledge by God does not alter our nature in that it does not change what we are -- free to make choices. God's knowledge is necessarily complete and exhaustive because that is His nature, to know all things.

EP's response was:

I figured that this would be brought up. But this just doesn't hold up to logic. Just by knowing what will happen, that doesn't mean that we can prevent or cause something to happen.

The latter sentence is a perfect example of the former. Logic. If God knows what WILL happen, then it can't be prevented or changed. Otherwise, you would call it a GUESS.

The sun will rise tomorrow. I know that.

No, you don't. It's a reasonable certainty, but you don't KNOW it.

If I put a bowl of vegetables and a bowl of ice cream in front of my child, I know which one they are going to choose. My knowing that does not prevent them the free will of making the choice.

That's not the same thing as GOD knowing. And it's not a "go to hell or live in heaven" decision that involves allowing people to suffer and die along the way. Also, it's highly dependent on the vegetable and the ice cream.

It's the same with God. His knowing what we are going to do/choose doesn't mean that we don't have the freedom to do something else.

Not the same at ALL. By definition, if we choose to do something different that what he knows we will do, then he DIDN'T know.

My response:

Fine. I am a human and I do not have foreknowledge. It was an illustration. But merely knowing something does not take away free will. Knowing does not mean action. If God exists outside of time, and the scriptures show that time was a creation, then all things are visible to Him. Just by knowing and seeing what will happen does nothing to those that live in the present.

If I have a choice of two things, and God knows which I am going to choose, that does not take away my free will to choose one or the other. God knows what I will choose. But I am free to choose something else. God knew I would choose that option. But he did not force me to choose one or the other.

Logically, free will is not altered by foreknowledge.

Let's think of time travel. If I went back in time to 1865, I would KNOW that Lincoln would be assasinated. My knowing this outcome would not force any action on anyone's part. I could not be blamed for the assassination merely because I KNEW that it was going to happen. I would be an observer. Wilkes-Booth would STILL have the option of not pulling the trigger. But I KNOW that he will, because I existed outside of time.

I know it's a silly illustration, but it demonstrates that merely knowing an outcome does not in any way take away free will.

So what does everyone else think? Assuming that God exists, does His knowing the outcome and possible outcomes of all things take away from our freedom to express and act on our own will?

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

From the other thread...

If I have a choice of two things, and God knows which I am going to choose, that does not take away my free will to choose one or the other.

If God knowing the future means it cannot be changed, then you have no choice, you MUST choose what God has forseen. If God knowing the future means he is making a guess based on how well he thinks he knows you, then he doesn't really know the future.

Let's think of time travel. If I went back in time to 1865, I would KNOW that Lincoln would be assasinated.

Time travel isn't real.

I know it's a silly illustration, but it demonstrates that merely knowing an outcome does not in any way take away free will.

It illustrates that time travel isn't real. But, if you want to use the idea of time travel, I counter with this. People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff.

IOW, Doctor Who illustrates the opposite.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Here is the deal, ChristAlone: The logic is that if a so-called "free will" decision even COULD be known in advance of the person making the decision, then it is manifestly not a free choice at all - there was really no choice involved.

Instead of the apple in Eden - how about this: If the outcome of the Superbowl of 2013 could be known for certain now (in 2012) by god, by us, by ANYBODY - then is the superbowl of 2013 going to be a free and fair game? One really decided on the field?

This is what makes the Witness notion that their god COULD have known Adam & Eve would sin, but caused himself somehow to NOT look into the matter ahead of time - so ridiculous. It mandates that god created them without the power to NOT sin, and still punished them for it.

• sir82
    sir82
    His knowing the outcome and possible outcomes of all things

Right there is the paradox that is the key to the issue.

Is there only one possible outcome? Then there is no free will.

Are there many possible outcomes? Then there is no foreknowledge.

I.e., there cannot be an "and" in the above sentence. It is logically impossible.

Incidentally, what does it mean to exist "outside time"? What things exist "outside time"? How do you know that they exist "outside time" - what evidence is there?

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Time travel is real. Quantum mechanics shows this. But I digress...

I was using it to illustrate the point that knowing does not effect action.

If God knowing the future means it cannot be changed, then you have no choice, you MUST choose what God has forseen.

Not at all. CAN you make a different choice than the one God knows you will make? Yes. WILL you? No. You CAN make any choice you wish. But God knows the outcome of what you will choose. He has done nothing to sway you from choosing waffles over pancakes. But you CAN choose pancackes instaed of waffles.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Incidentally, what does it mean to exist "outside time"? What things exist "outside time"? How do you know that they exist "outside time" - what evidence is there?

People keep falling back on that as something God can do, yet can't explain what it means.

If the past and the future exist for God just as the present does, the God is consistently in all places at all times and is not restricted by time.

And this. Time ceases to mean anything in this scenario. Place and position cease to mean anything. It would mean God is my poop as well as the Antares nebula, experience simultaneously everything that ever has or will have happened at once. God is simultaneously experience the death of a star into a gamma ray burst as well as the effects of that Indian food I ate last night.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Time travel is real. Quantum mechanics shows this. But I digress...

Yes, we move forward in time at a consistent rate as related to our speed as compared to the speed of light. Quantum mechanics does not show backwards time travel like you see in Back to The Future to be real.

I was using it to illustrate the point that knowing does not effect action.

And I used time travel from a TV show to illustrate the opposite.

CAN you make a different choice than the one God knows you will make? Yes. WILL you? No. You CAN make any choice you wish. But God knows the outcome of what you will choose. He has done nothing to sway you from choosing waffles over pancakes. But you CAN choose pancackes instaed of waffles.

You are making a distinction without difference. You are comforting yourself in the fact that there is no pre-destiny and free-will exists by playing games with sematics that describe EXACTLY THE SAME THING AS DESTINY. They are functionally the exact same thing.

If you COULD make a different choice, then there is some percentage chance that you would, IOW, it would be guaranteed to happen some percentage of the time. If you will NEVER make a different choice, then the percentage of you EVER making a different one is 0% and that is the EXACT same thing as destiny.

Math.... once again kicking ass.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Not at all. CAN you make a different choice than the one God knows you will make? Yes. WILL you? No. You CAN make any choice you wish. But God knows the outcome of what you will choose. He has done nothing to sway you from choosing waffles over pancakes. But you CAN choose pancackes instaed of waffles.

That makes no sense at all.

If god knows exactly WHAT you will do, and you WILL DO exactly that, then you are only fooling yourself if you think you are choosing something.

The choice is not yours, and it is already made for you if god knows it in advance.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Quantum mechanics is changing how we view time and how particles are bound/effected by time.

Biblically God is not bound by space or time. 1Kings 8:27 says that the universe (and hence space in general) cannot contain God. The God of the BIble is described as omnipotent or all powerful. If God were confined to three dimensions of space and one demension of time, then He could only be in one place at one time. However, the Bible describes God as knowing all that we do. (1 Kings 8:39)

According to Hawking, Ellis, and Penrose, not only space but time had a beginning. If God existed in only one dimension of time, then He would have had to have been created at one point. The Bible says God was not created, but has existed from eternity past to eternity future. The Bible also suggests God created time and was acting before time began (1Cor 2:7)

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

The choice is not yours, and it is already made for you if god knows it in advance.

How do you change the definition from knowing something to actually making the choice FOR you?

If god knows exactly WHAT you will do, and you WILL DO exactly that, then you are only fooling yourself if you think you are choosing something.

And that's why I think my Lincoln assassination example fits. If I KNEW that Booth was going to assassinate Lincoln, would he be fooling himself thinking that he had a choice?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit