Can a JWs Elder be "removed" if his wife is known as the congregation "gossip"?

by booker-t 33 Replies latest jw friends

• booker-t
    booker-t

I remember in my Kingdom Hall one of our 5 elders Bro. "Smith" had a gossipy wife Sis "Smith" who would be known to gossip from the time she enter the hall until she left. I don't know how she never was reproved or counseled for her gossiping. She would always have something negative to say about everybody. I remember one time a very elderly sister in our congregation was in the hospital with high blood pressure and I commented to Sis Smith that I missed Sis so and so because she was so nice. Sis Smith's comment was "well if Sis so and so spent more time in field service she would not have high blood pressure". I could not believe how unkind she was towards sis so and so. I now believe Elder Smith would leak info to his wife and she would gossip. Did anybody else know of a "gossippy" elder's wife?

• hoser
    hoser

Did anybody else know of a "gossippy" elder's wife?

Did anybody know of an elder's wife that wasn't gossipy?

• whathappened
    whathappened

Yes, gossiping gives the elder's wives something to do while they wait around for their husbands to finish up lording it over the rest of the congregation.

• blondie
    blondie

I have never seen an elder removed because his wife gossiped. Of course, if he revealed it to her, then he is the gossiper. Reading the WTS info on gossip, it is very hard to make gossip stick as a charge, it has to be perceived as harmful, be seen as slander.

• elderelite
    elderelite

In theory, sure he could be removed...

However, any elder who opens his mouth to critize another knows that he opens himself to the same. Its very much a good ole boy network in that sense

• trujw
    trujw

It would kinda be like arresting a cop while you are handcuffed aint gonna happen

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I was in a congregation where the two main gossipers were elders wives. I remember two talks given on the subject as local needs. The 2 sisters cared little and carried on. Their husbands continued to serve

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

well that all depends on what the gossip is doesn't it?

If it's about who is having a fight with who or made up shit then probably not.

But if the wife tells the truth about pedaphiles in the hall you can bet he will be...

Oz

• crmsicl
    crmsicl

I definetly was not a gossipy elders wife. honest. not that it really matters just thought I'd pipe up.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Did anybody know of an elder's wife that wasn't gossipy?

That's the real question !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit