WT Elders school: The WTS has progressed from just plain stupid to dangerously stupid

by sir82 111 Replies latest jw friends

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Experience:

When I decided to stop going to meetings my ex-wife sat in the hall crying because me and the boys weren't with her.

The elders came over and she thought they'd come to comfort her. All they did was ask about me and that they wanted to contact me for a JC.

They didn't give a flying fig about how she felt...they were after a kill!!

• alfredjones100
    alfredjones100

i was'nt meaning that we spend time a lone with a congregation member of the opposite sex, its just most of the time, people just stand back and wait for someone else to make the first move. thats all i was trying to say.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

TD:

The scenario with the depressed lady strikes me as a situation where another woman could help so much more than a man could. Except perhaps informally, I doubt very much if that would ever happen in WT land though.

Some months back there was a WT study dealing with getting help from others in the congregation. The article was really referring to the elders, not anyone else. (I wish I could remember what issue this was, but it was probably sometime earlier this year.)

At any rate, I raised my hand and made reference to Titus 2:3-5, that the "aged women" in the congregation were a source of experienced help, especially for sisters. The conductor corrected me. 'We were talking about getting help from elders.'

That pretty much sums up how they feel about that. To get help from a sister would represent a loss of power for the Society.

For reference: (Titus 2:3-5) . . .Likewise let the aged women be reverent in behavior, not slanderous, neither enslaved to a lot of wine, teachers of what is good; 4 that they may recall the young women to their senses to love their husbands, to love their children, 5 to be sound in mind, chaste, workers at home, good, subjecting themselves to their own husbands, so that the word of God may not be spoken of abusively.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

JW Elder/Psychiatrist..

..........................  mutley-ani1.gif ... OUTLAW

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet
    Ethos - Obviously the elders can use their discernment and recommend professional help. The WTS doesnt have to tell them every little common sense thing to do.

Lol!

LOL!

HAVE YOU READ THE ELDERS BOOK???

HAVE YOU READ ANY PUBLICATIONS???

Just log off and do some evening witnessing.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Ethos:

Obviously the elders can use their discernment and recommend professional help. The WTS doesnt have to tell them every little common sense thing to do.

The Watch Tower Society avoids talking about psychology and psychiatry. When it does approach the subject, it discourages professional treatment. The last time they specifically considered the subject of psychiatry was in 1981.

*** g81 10/22 pp. 24-25 Attacking Major Depression—Professional Treatments ***
    When major depression is diagnosed, one recommendation is psychotherapy—or “talk therapy.” Since a depressed person usually has greatly disturbed ideas, many have been aided by their talking to a therapist. Such professionals may include psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers and others with specialized training. However, some have found help by talking with a lovingly concerned minister.
    There is also a danger here for persons who are endeavoring to live by high moral standards. Some therapists go too far, justifying attitudes that the Bible disapproves. This is done to alleviate the patient’s guilt. True, a person should neither be overwhelmed with guilt nor feel “condemned by God” if improper feelings enter his mind. Yet, rather than reasoning that such erroneous thoughts are not wrong, as some therapists would say, those who highly value the Bible’s counsel prefer to correct such ideas or dismiss them. So they have to weigh seriously (or have help to weigh) counsel offered by a therapist. Potential problems may be avoided if the patient, or a companion, explains to the therapist the importance of the patient’s religious beliefs.
  • ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

The Governing Body are power hungry men who don't read the Bible. Too busy with rules and regulations, how to disfellowship anyone preceived as committing a future crime against the Borg.

I hope Jehovah removes these trolls and shows us where the right religion is, and who he is backing up! It can't be a group of men who worshiped the United Nations, told Mexican brothers to lie and bribe, while allowing Malawians to die! May Jehovah Judge the Hoax!

• grewupjw1969
    grewupjw1969

Ethos, every situation does require professional help. I know because at one low point in my life I was sucidal. I can HONESTLY say that some "elders" reading a couple verses from Job wouldn't have helped at all. When a person is in that situation they need professional mental help. You don't just "snap" out of it and decide to go get cookies. The WTS is not properly educated at all about mental health (or physical health for that matter). It is rude and insensitive for anyone to just feel that reading a few Bible verses will help. I urge anyone who is having any thoughts like that to seek help.

GREWUPJW

• ziddina
    ziddina

Bump...!!

• baltar447
    baltar447

Another possbile scenario...

Sister claims to be encouraged, goes to "bake cookies" eventually after 30 minutes of self-flaggelating each other, the eldums wonder if anything is ok. They go into the kitchen to find sister with her head in the oven trying to off herself.

NOW, will they call and get her HELP??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit