"newbie" post - after eight years registered

by pajaha 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• pajaha
    pajaha

Actually, this is my second post as I replied to a thread a few moments ago, but it turns out I originally registered eight years ago but had never posted.

I left in 2000 (from a Newport, S Wales, congregation) having been brought up in it from about the age of three. Initially, I was obsessed with research and posting to forums but got over it after a few years and just rediscovered this site a couple of days ago. I just thought it would be worth posting my account of leaving in case it helped others.

I always considered myself to be "strong in the truth" and genuinely believed it,, but I suppose the amount of suppressed doubts had been mounting up and I think it was the summer of 1999 when I first thought of leaving. Subconciously, I knew it wasn't right, although I could never bring myself to search the internet for "evidence". The reviewing of "apostate sites" would only come after I declared my leaving.

I was a pioneer, MS and, at just 26, being discussed as eldership material (as I later heard). I asked to be removed from the pioneer list, but they virtually said no so I carried on but just didn't put the hours in. For a few months in advance, I pinpointed the week after the visit of the circuit overseer as the time to come out of it (January 2000). All this time, I don't think anyone really suspected anything was up.

I was due to do a public talk the week after that circuit visit. It was all-new material and I hadn't prepared it at all. I think it was four days before the said public talk that I told the presiding overseer I was having doubts and couldn't do it. I had intended it to be a clean break but somehow ended up continuing to go to meetings for a further 3-4 weeks. Even after telling people I no longer beileved in it, they still had me continuing in my "priveledge" of doing the sound system, doing a prayer at a book study and went out on the ministry once.

Breaking away was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I knew it would mean the end of almost everything I had ever known. I worked from home so had no friends at all outside the JWs. But for me, "fading away" (ie just not going to meetings but saying I still believed it) was not an option. I guess it's mainly my honest personality. I know many people continue in it for years without really believeing in it, but I couldn't do that - even if that meant being ostracised by everyone. I was still living at home, but I feared that my parents (who were witnesses) would throw me out of the house.

As it turned it, though, eventually both parents came out of it too, I believe mainly after many discussions with me after I'd left. Never underestimate the power of family ties. It is sometimes stronger than religious beliefs. They knew I wasn't daft and they were prepared to listen to what I had to say.

• cofty
    cofty

Welcome back.

eventually both parents came out of it too

That's great news. I hope life is going well for you as a family. Was it hard for your parents to start again?

• sseveninches
    sseveninches

As it turned it, though, eventually both parents came out of it too, I believe mainly after many discussions with me after I'd left. Never underestimate the power of family ties. It is sometimes stronger than religious beliefs. They knew I wasn't daft and they were prepared to listen to what I had to say.

That is very encouraging. I'm not out yet, but I've already starting discussing a few things with my parents...legimitate topics so that they will never forget my points about it, but subtle enough so that the apostate shields aren't triggered. I hope that when I leave and inform them why I'm leaving (if they'll bother to listen) that they'll consider my problems and hopefully leave too.

• pajaha
    pajaha

Cofty - probably not as hard as it was for me. They kind of faded away and continued to associate with some. So some would have just considered them "weak" while others may have thought they were bordering on apostasy.

My dad died in 2006 and, I assume, his was the funeral referred to in a post heere by "ThomasCovenant" in which he said people thought he had DA'd (http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/119187/1/Can-JWs-attend-Funerals-for-ex-Jws).

One elder in the congregation was, as I later found out, shocked that I left so I like to think that my actions at least played a part in his and his family later leaving the org too.

• whathappened
    whathappened

Thanks for sharing your story. It is amazing that they allowed you to carry on as usual after you told them you were doubting.

Glad to hear your parents got out of the cult also.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

A big WELCOME BACK to you. I am glad it worked out for you and your parents. Maybe your story will help some here. Thanks.

• free @ last
    free @ last

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm so happy that your parents were able to walk away from it too.

I don't think fading necessarily means lying about your beliefs though. I was able to tell the elders at my last sheparding call (the week I stopped attending meetings) that I couldn't reconcile a wise, just and loving god with most of what was written about Jehovah in the bible. I told my (elder) brother the same and even told my mom that I was agnostic. They made it clear that they would not hear more of what I had to say on 'spritual matters' after that. So I guess you can say I did an expedited fade. I am no longer close to my family but we do have a cordial relationship now. When I'm in the old neighborhood and happen to run into a JW I used to know or be friends with they are civil and don't feel the need to shun me.

The decision to leave was the most difficult decision of my life as well.

• pajaha
    pajaha

You're right free @ last, I could probably have held out as a "fader" but on the few (three or four) visits I had from elders, I was not intending to hold back from saying what I really thought.

It always struck me, incidentally, that despite having been so deeply involved in it and baptised in it 10 years, they only thought it was worth 3-4 visits to try to convert me back again.

• free @ last
    free @ last

I know what you mean pajaha! I feel slighted that my family makes no real attempts to 'save' me. It's like they just gave me up as a lost cause after a few conversations but are still willing to spend countless hours knocking on the same uninterested and sometimes beligerent strangers doors week after week. On the other hand when they make the slightest comment in my hearing that reveals that they still think they have the truth I get so irritated. It's a lose-lose situation :-/

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Welcome back and thanks for sharing. You never know who else is lurking and might be encouraged and emboldened by your post!

00DAD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit