VOTE TO REVOKE UK CHARITY STATUS OF JW CHARITIES! URGENT!

by Blablaman 82 Replies latest jw friends

• Blablaman
    Blablaman

digderidoo

To quote you; "...the public benefit requirement is qualified by 'advancement of religion' is neither my opinion. They can all be checked out as legal fact."

I see no reference to the word "Religion" in the definition of "Charity" in the Chrities Act 2011. What legal facts are you refering to?

So, I one member of a nation that totals approximately 62.5 million. Jehovah Witness members total (I think) around 130,000. How does that work for the public benefit? Oh, I know...we’re all ignorant, and they can educate us! Please, give me a break!

Here's an out-take of the act;

Charity

1 Meaning of “charity”
    (1) For the purposes of the law of England and Wales, “charity” means an institutionwhich—
    (a) is established for charitable purposes only, and
    (b) falls to be subject to the control of the High Court in the exercise of itsjurisdiction with respect to charities.
    (2) The definition of “charity” in subsection (1) does not apply for the purposes of anenactment if a different definition of that term applies for those purposes by virtue ofthat or any other enactment.

2 Charities Act 2011 (c. 25)

Part 1 – Meaning of “charity” and “charitable purpose”

CHAPTER 1 – General
    Document Generated: 2012-10-14
    Changes to legislation: There are outstanding changes not yet made by the legislation.gov.ukeditorial team to Charities Act 2011. Any changes that have already been made by the teamappear in the content and are referenced with annotations. (See end of Document for details)
    Charitable purpose

2 Meaning of “charitable purpose”

(1) For the purposes of the law of England and Wales, a charitable purpose is a purposewhich—
    (a) falls within section 3(1), and
    (b) is for the public benefit (see section 4).
    (2) Any reference in any enactment or document (in whatever terms)—
    (a) to charitable purposes, or
    (b) to institutions having purposes that are charitable under the law relating tocharities in England and Wales, is to be read in accordance with subsection (1).
    (3) Subsection (2) does not apply where the context otherwise requires.
    (4) This section is subject to section 11 (which makes special provision for Chapter 2 ofthis Part onwards).

• Blablaman
    Blablaman

Ernest.

The money that is paid into Jehovah Witness congregational funds never ever get paid into the UK Treasury (because they are Tax exempt, however, it is accounted for). Yet, the UK Treasury is paying OUT money to UK Jehovah's Witness Congregational Charities on the basis there has been money "donated to the given charities".That is not their money, it's ours, all of ours.

• Blablaman
    Blablaman

And what of the following taken from the 2011 Charities Act;

The Commission has the following objectives—
    1.The public confidence objective
    The public confidence objective is to increase public trust and confidence in charities.
    2.The public benefit objective
    The public benefit objective is to promote awareness and understanding of the operation of the public benefit requirement.
    3.The compliance objective
    The compliance objective is to promote compliance by charity trustees with their legal obligations in exercising control and management of the administration of their charities.
    4.The charitable resources objective
    The charitable resources objective is to promote the effective use of charitable resources.
    5.The accountability objective
    The accountability objective is to enhance the accountability of charities to donors, beneficiaries and the general public.

Public confidence? I think they are drastically out numbered... by 62.5 million 130,000.

Public benefit? No.

The compliance objective? A legal get out clause ...

The charitable resources objective? Kindom Halls? Conventions? Walking the streets knocking on doors, printing WT twaddle? Resourses spent in the UK from the £40 million the Bible and Tract Society spent? A lot was spent abroad. Who knows?... because I can't find the information and detail I would like. It's not available.

The accountability objective? I can't find accounts to most of the 1400 or so JW charities, so again I can't say this is being met.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Blabaman, I'm not going to repeat myself, you've obviously not read my posts or you wouldn't be asking the questions you have.

The fact that you have quoted all of the public benefit requirements, rather than highlight the relevant ones shows that you have misunderstood. Further, the fact that you cannot understand how GiftAid works even though Ernest has explained to you also demonstrates a lack of ability to grasp basic points.

I rather suspect these misunderstandings are based on emotion which is understandable, however Parliament works on objectivity which is lacking in the petition.

I wish you and Cedars well with attempting to get Jehovahs Witnesses charitable status revoked, even though they do not have one.

• cedars
    cedars

digderidoo

I wish you and Cedars well with attempting to get Jehovahs Witnesses charitable status revoked, even though they do not have one.

So now Jehovah's Witnesses don't have charitable status in the UK? It's all just in our imagination?!

Cedars

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

You obviously haven't read my posts. The WTBTS of Britain and 1,400 congregations have charitable status, not the Jehovahs Witness religion to which the petition question refers. Not your imagination, just a lack of understanding.

• cedars
    cedars

digderidoo

The WTBTS of Britain and 1,400 congregations have charitable status, not the Jehovahs Witness religion to which the petition question refers.

Oh, so you WERE nitpicking. Just checking!!

Cedars

• oldlightnewshite
  • Blablaman
    Blablaman

digderidoo

Thanks for your rather rude, yet incorrect post; I'm certain I understand clearly the manner by which the Gift Aid payment schemes work.

I don't understand your stance with most of the points you raise. You appear to playing devil’s advocate. Why? I don't know... Correct me if I’m wrong, but you also appear to be of the opinion that it’s OK for UK Treasury tax funds to be siphoned off into a wacky and quasi-religion, let alone that some of these funds are likely to end up in the USA WT coffers!

• Blablaman
    Blablaman

I wouldn't mind if the individual congregational members were claiming back the tax/Gift Aid, but their not!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit