Anyone Gluten Intolerant?

by jemba 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Heaven
    Heaven

My nephew has Celiac as well as lactose intolerance.

What are the main symptoms for this thing, so that a person could reliably self diagnose?

It is a good idea to be tested however, if you have some of the following symptoms especially the gastro-intestinal discomforts then eliminate gluten for a while to see if it helps.

I found this on glutenfreenetwork.com:

Gluten intolerance often has a slower onset than celiac disease, and may be hard to diagnose due to the broad range of symptoms and causes.

If you imagine a continuum of gluten intolerance symptoms, celiac disease is usually at the most extreme end with immediate autoimmune reactions. Some people with celiac disease may not have symptoms, but internally malabsorption and malnutrition can erode health over many years. Both celiac disease and gluten intolerance can be exacerbated by emotional stress, infection, surgery, pregnancy and childbirth. Every individual with some level of gluten intolerance or allergy may experience different shades of symptoms, hence the challenge for medical practitioners to diagnose.

So what are the specific symptoms of gluten intolerance and Celiac disease?

- Weight loss or weight gain
    - Nutritional deficiencies due to malabsorption e.g. low iron levels
    - Gastro-intestinal problems (bloating, pain, gas, constipation, diarrhea)
    - Fat in the stools (due to poor digestion)
    - Aching joints
    - Depression
    - Eczema
    - Head aches
    - Exhaustion
    - Irritability and behavioural changes
    - Infertility, irregular menstrual cycle and miscarriage
    - Cramps, tingling and numbness
    - Slow infant and child growth
    - Decline in dental health

Undiagnosed for long periods of time, food intolerances have been found to contribute to diabetes, bowel cancer, anemia and osteoporosis.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

I am gluten intolerant but not lactose intolerant. We did our dna on 23 and me and it was exactly right it listed celiac as the most likely health problem for me it was extremely interesting if you have the money 300.00 you get a heath, traits and ancestry profile along with easy access to all the latest research. They have a special dna day maybe in april and it's a sale day and you can get the whole deal for a 100.00 I'm not sure though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit