Anyone Gluten Intolerant?

by jemba 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

What are the main symptoms for this thing, so that a person could reliably self diagnose? Or, is that discouraged? How many would you need, to be sure that this is what you have?

S

• talesin
    talesin

S, my doctor and I used an 'elimination diet'. There *is* a test for Celiac's - two actually. One is a blood test, and the other is invasive (ie, tube in stomach and biopsy).

You might find reading Elaine Gottschall's information online re the Specific Carbohydrate Diet is a great help (all the information is on the website, you do NOT need to buy the book). She became a molecular biologist in order to study the gut, to help her young daughter, who was wasting away because of a bowel dysfunction. http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/p/about-the-diet/

tal

• LV101
    LV101

talesin --- how does one carry beans around with them. Don't they have to stay cold or hot? Interesting. White beans --- navy or butter beans?

Thanks.

• talesin
    talesin

Either one, but I love butter beans! Just pop them into an airtight container. As a snack, they are pretty tasty with just a bit of salt and pepper, just room temperature. If there's a microwave available, they can be warmed up. It's one of the quick snacks I carry with me, as they are also good for stabilizing the blood sugar levels (glycemic index, whatever the term), and they don't spoil.

tal

I love to discuss food/nutrition. :P

• LV101
    LV101

Thank you so much --- I can't imagine just throwing them in container not having to worry and eating them at room temperature. I will check out the butter beans (nutritional content) because I never think of cooking those. The fact milk products are allowed on this gluten free is amazing. Thanks for website.

There's a type of bean (I can't remember what it's called/if it was a white bean) that you don't have to soak and the hispanic community are fond of. It's not bad -- not as good as pintos/black beans in my opinion but ok.

• talesin
    talesin

Re, the website, you're welcome! Her book changed my life - no more painful, scary episodes. And she's not in it for the money, because all the information is on the site, for free.

Definitely do some research on whether they will spoil, but I do believe that as long as they are not mixed with mayonnaise, or other foods that spoil easily, they are safe (I've done this for about 15 years, and never a problem, but as always, it's important to verify and make one's own decision).

I'm not sure about the Hispanic (edit) beans, but may be able to find out.

Here's a tip - you don't have to soak them overnight. Put 1 c. of beans, 1/2 tsp. baking soda*, and 6 cups of water into a pot, and bring to the boil for 2 minutes. Remove the pot from the stove, and cover. Let sit 1-2 hours. Put back on the stove, uncovered, and bring to a rolling boil for about 20 minutes,,, voila!

*the baking soda will help the beans to soften, and improve the flavour, just don't use more than specified, or it may leave an aftertaste.

xo

tal

• talesin
    talesin

I found this recipe for Pinto beans ... couldn't find any others that cook quickly?

Sort your beans, taking out twigs and rocks and such, put them in a pot 1 cup beans to 4 cups water, half an onion, a couple cloves of lightly smashed garlic and salt. Let them come to a boil and then put lower the flame on simmer for about 30 mins. Stir, add more water if it's getting low. Keep checking/stiring/adding water until the beans are nice and tender and the bean liquor is a little thick.

Make sure you salt 'em good in the begining (taste the liquor everytime you add water) or they'll be bland.

I'll have to give them a try, too. I LOVE LOVE LOVE refried beans!

xo

tal

• LV101
    LV101

Yes -- I love refried beans, too, but recall they're made with tons of lard or something. The latinos can do miracles with beans and I've eaten homemade black beans that were cooked, mashed in blender with creams or something added then fried on the stove --- omigoodness/to die for. Didn't get the recipe because they're so fattening.

Thanks for tips. I have to pack lunches for clinics every now and then and will now be able to pack really healthy food instead of sandwiches.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

It isn''t just gluten. Wheat contains other defensive glycoproteins in order to protect itself from being eaten. Grains actually contain toxic anti-nutrients.

• talesin
    talesin

It isn''t just gluten. Wheat contains other defensive glycoproteins in order to protect itself from being eaten. Grains actually contain toxic anti-nutrients.

Interesting ... I can't eat *any* grains, but have put that down to the structure of the sugar molecules (knew it wasn't the gluten) ... must see a naturopath (lol, when I have the bux) and get this sorted out.

t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit