Anyone Gluten Intolerant?

by jemba 31 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

No gluten or grains (including corn, rice, spelt, etc.) for me, as well as processed foods. No nightshades (bell peppers, tomatoes, very little potato, etc.), garbanzo beans (chick peas), sugar and a variety of other foods.

I didn't find this out till my forties, but wow! What a difference in my energy levels.

And my friends tell me I have the 'healthiest fridge they've ever opened'.

tal

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I cheat but I am supposed to limit gluten. An iridologist friend of ours said that I had the constitution of a Mack truck. I guess that's good. I do notice joint pain and acid reflux if I really eat gluten filled foods for too many days in a row. I just go gluten free for a bit and then cheat again. It is a cyclical thing for me because I can get away with it. My wife is border-line celiac I think. She is very strict with her diet. If she cheats then she gets really sick. It really sucks having to worry about food. Like we don't have enough to worry about already..

• talesin
    talesin

DATA - please don't cheat too often! It damages the cilia in your stomach (the fronds that absorb nutrients) and over time, you may be like me, being able to eat less and less foods as time goes by. I won't nag you again, promise.

xo

tal

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

tal, Howdy

• jemba
    jemba

Wow I want to see Talesins fridge! Actually Id like to know what you eat do eat Talesin, you sound a bit deprived, lol. Rice,corn and potatoes are my main carbs now. You must have to be very creative with foods you can eat. Im surprised you can eat dairy, many people with gluten problems cant - I find I can eat very little so I have soy products instead.

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

I smoke medical Cannabis, this helps my mild gluten intolerance.

George Washington U has a great "gastro book" on gluten intolerance, some with very bad cases almost starve to death (Celiac Syndome).

• talesin
    talesin

jemba, I get my carbs from veg and beans (oh, I can't eat soy, either). Right now, my fridge has avocadoes, turnip, a homemade split pea soup, other veg, a bag of oranges, eggs, organic yoghurt, stewed cherries, dried garlic black beans. A huge bar of dark chocolate. Fresh frozen haddock.

A lot of people who have trouble with dairy do not stick to their celiac diet strictly - absolutely zero wheat, oats or barley. Their cilia in the digestive system are irritated, and cannot tolerate dairy. Strict adherence for 6 months can mean a return to dairy for many. That means rigorously checking labels - did you know that ketchup and even soya sauce can contain wheat? It comes under many different names on the labels, and takes a bit of research to identify.

xo

tal

*waves at Rabbit, which is kinda funny cause we're talkin' on the phone*

• irondork
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

TS, thanks for worrying! I will really try not to cheat. The problem is I am very active and can eat a lot. Plus I am working out now. I need food!! If I want to gain muscle I have to eat. So what do gluten free weight lifters eat? I hate starving!

• talesin
    talesin

DATA

If you're looking for carbs, I would suggest brown rice. It's really tasty for breakfast. Throw a minced onion in the pan with olive oil and a touch of butter for taste. When the onions are are clear, add brown rice and stir in an egg, finish cooking. YUM! And great for 'carbing up'.

Also, a hash of potatoes, chick peas, and whatever spice (GARLIC!) with onion is tasty, and full of carbs.

Beans, beans, and more beans! Buy the white ones (dried); they are easy to cook, and don't have a strong flavour, so they make a great snack with s&p or a little sauce of whatever you like (hot sauce is my preference). You can also take a container of beans anywhere, and don't have to worry about them spoiling in the heat (ie, if you're going to the gym after work, you can pack them in the a.m., and not worry about refrigeration).

I was quite interested to learn a few years ago, about this lactose intolerance fallacy. As cow's milk is not easy on our digestive tract anyway, a lot of people with Celiac's are unaware - they 'think' dairy is the culprit. I haven't found dairy bothersome since I found out about my 'other' intolerances. Now, I eat yoghurt every day, no prob!

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit