Anyone heard this? News!

by Dogpatch 58 Replies latest jw friends

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

I'm going to mention that to my mom and dad when I make my weekly phone call. (gonna be fun figuring out how to tell her how I heard it tho)
    I'm no business expert, that's for sure. But from what I do know about running a business, it makes good sense to outsource and cut bethel staff. Yes, you could call the present operation "free labor" but it really isn't. Probably the smallest cost on the books is the stipend bethelites get. (how much is that these days, by the way?). The WTS also has to feed the staff, do their laundry, provide electricity and water, and give them somewhere to live. Another cost some may not consider is insurance. Worker's comp and all the other policies required by law must be astronomical for an operation that size. And then you've got Watchtower Farms which is there to feed everyone. That's a pretty expensive operation too, especially since they're not vegetarians.
    Assuming this rumor is true, then I have to give them credit for a good move. It's quite possible that a publishing company could give them a price below industry standards for a tax break, since the WT is non-profit.
    I'd imagine it would improve quality as well. To me the Watchtower and Awake magazines have always had a "cheap" appearance. Maybe by cutting in-house production and outsourcing instead the publications could have more of a "mainstream" appearance.
    Metatron mentioned ending the donation arrangement. If the outsourcing happens, that's a given. Whether it will pan out is questionable in my opinion. Undoubtedly, the cost of the publications to the publishers and congregations will be higher.
    I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

whatever...

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

No one I know who is still active tell's me anything outside of my fam. I'll ask if any of them have heard that when I talk to them.

"I look to the sea, reflections in the waves spark my memory
    Some happy,some sad"
    styx

This one most definitely Happy
  • LDH
    LDH

Farkel,

go to http://www.jw-media.org and from there you can view their sappy ass commercials.

Also, they might not be paying a salary but by the same token that's an awful lot of free room and board they're just 'giving away' up there.

I wonder if they're going to get rid of the Bethelites and convert the joint into some type of office building with outside tenants or something?

Sure would be great to get monthly receivables on some of the most desireable property in the city!

Lisa

• Patriot
    Patriot

I agree Bozzerunner,

It seems that it may be something like what happened with the bulk of their trucks.

I had a friend who did some trucking several years back and I asked him how it was going, to my surprise he told me that the WT calculated that it would be cheaper for trucking companies to ship their goods instead of them doing it themselves.

Maybe it's the same with the presses.

Which leads me to another tax question: If you're trying to make money, is it better to be a non-profit org. and be tax free? Or is it better to write off your expenses and get a portion back?

It just might be a numbers game,...hell, it always is with them.

Mav.-

• LDH
    LDH

Patriot check your email.

Lisa

• Amazing
    Amazing

Randy: I haver not heard this, but it is not surprising to me. They can sell off assets, and bury the funds in another country. Yep, sly little clowns arn't they?

Following Bible principles, we will avoid trying to live - or demand others to live - by an extensive and rigid set of dos and don'ts that go beyond the teachings of the Bible. The Watchtower, 4-15-02, pg 22, pp 15

• BQE
    BQE

Maybe this all has something to do with the huge Federal aid funds flowing into NYC because of 9/11? Perhaps the WTS wants a piece, and had to be creative in terms of getting it?

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

If they stopped publishing their own books and magazines that could no longer be accused of being just a publishing company.

• metatron
    metatron

Hey, Maximus said something like this (printing
    goes to outside contractors) sometime ago.

so, this is not the first time this rumor has
    appeared.

I really think it's gotta be the cash draining
    voluntary donation arrangement. Wouldn't
    it be funny to have some company send threatening
    letters to congregations to pay their bills!!

metatron

• SEAKEN2001
    SEAKEN2001

tyydyy,

the WT and g are printed in Wallkill at WT Farm. I can tell you, there's not much nite life in Pine Bush!

If they are going to do this they will probably keep the pre-press operations in-house and just outsource the press work.

Sean

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit