Analysis of anti-607 BCE Rebuttals

by Ethos 529 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ethos
    Ethos

Dr. Strong or Jeffro?

1 labour, work, do work: absolute Exodus 20:9 = Exodus 34:21 = Deuteronomy 5:13 (4th word); Exodus 5:18 (E) Ecclesiastes 5:11; with accusative of thing, till the ground Genesis 2:5; Genesis 3:23; Genesis 4:2,12 (J), 2 Samuel 9:10; Isaiah 30:24; Jeremiah 27:11." - (Strong's Exhaustive Concordance, entry H5647)

Historical Encyclopedia of World Slavery or Jeffro?

"Moreover, the Babylonian captivity of the people was considered cruel slavery (Jer. 25:11; 27:7)." - (The Historical Encyclopedia of World Slavery, p. 537)

Josephus or Jeffro?

Antiquities of the Jews, Book X, IX, verse 7 "All Judea and Jerusalem, and the temple, continued to be a desert for seventy years."

Oh look at that. Jerusalem was desolated for 70 years. But wait the 609 chronology says it wasn't. So this should be revised to 50 years. But wait, our second 70 year prophecy requires the temple to be desolated for 71 years, and 7 months (not really 70 years, but let's piggyback off the WT's figurative 70 year route and no one will notice). So either change to the figure contradicts our own chronology. Let's start calling Ethos names and hope no one notices. This also refutes our 49 year sabbath chronology but shhhh, everyone will keep calling Ethos names and not notice.

AnnoMaly or Jeffro?

AnnoMaly: Judah began to serve Babylon after the battle of Carchemish (605 BCE) when Neb. swept through Palestine and took captives from the Jews and other nations."

Jeffro: The 70-year servitude began in 609 BCE, when Babylon became world power.

How about neither?

Yes, it's really THAT simple folks; the argument has been refuted so easily that all that was necessary was to repeat what I had been saying since the 3rd or 4th page.

• BroMac
    BroMac

start at the begining - the basics.

(Jeremiah 52:28-30) . . .These are the people whom Neb·u·chad·rez′zar took into exile:

in the seventh year, three thousand and twenty-three Jews.

29 In the eighteenth year of Neb·u·chad·rez′zar, from Jerusalem there were eight hundred and thirty-two souls.

30 In the twenty-third year of Neb·u·chad·rez′zar, Neb·u′zar·ad′an the chief of the bodyguard took Jews into exile, seven hundred and forty-five souls. All the souls were four thousand and six hundred.

Every Encyclopedia tells me that Nebuchadnezzar succeded his father Nabopallasar in 605BCE a few months after the Battle of Carchemish. (early 605)

Every Encyclopedia also tells me that he reigned till 562BCE. - 43yrs. 605-562 BCE

seventh year = 598

eighteenth year = 587

twenty-third year = 582

why should I not believe that? is everything else in the encyclopedia dated wrong?

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Nicely done Ethos! You have conclusively proven yourself to be a blithering idiot.

• BroMac
    BroMac

Ethos your statements that you have used from Jeffro and AnnOMaly are not in disagreement. Its widely accepted and easily read in Scripture, yes the Bible that 70yrs was NOT just for Jerusalem but Other Nations too.

thats is your fundamental error.

70yrs was the lenghth of the Babylonian domination of the ANE 609-539BCE = 70yrs

• Ethos
    Ethos

I am quite glad to be in a class of idiots such as the writers of the historical encylopedia and Dr. Strong as well as Josephus.

Here's are simple questions I bet no one will answer honestly:

Does the Expository Dictionary of Bible Words define the word 'servitude' in Jeremiah 25:11 as meaning slavery? Yes or NO?

The meaning "to serve" (i.e. as a slave) is indicated in general contexts in Gen. 14:4; 1 Samuel 1:11; 17:9; 1 Kings 4:21; Jer 25:11; 27:6ff." - Expository Dictionary of Bible Words (Word Studies for Key English Bible Words Based on the Hebrew and Greek Texts, 2005)

Did the Church Fathers contend that there was a 'famous exile' of the Jews that lasted 70 years? YES or NO?

The most famous exile that befell the Hebrews, then—to wit, when they were led captive by Nabuchodonosor king of Babylon—lasted 70 years, as Jeremias had prophesied. Berosus the Babylonian, moreover, makes mention of Nabuchodonosor. And after the 70 years of captivity, Cyrus became king of the Persians . -- Fathers of the Third Century: Gregory Thaumaturgus, Dionysius the Great, Julius Africanus, Anatolius, and Minor Writers, Methodius, Arnobius

Does the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia link the 70 years in Jeremiah (mentioned in Dan. 9:2) with the paying off of sabbaths or not? YES or NO?

“2 Chronicles 36:21 explains the role of the Exile in God’s purpose by interpreting the prophecy of Jeremiah in light of the warning in Lev. 26:34f. Daniel 9 also refers to Jeremiah’s prophecy (v.2); based on the warnings in Lev. 26:18, 34f – The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia

Are there any Bible scholars who say that the sabbath was a period fulfilled during the 70-year exile and was not an unrelated fulfillment of 49 years? YES or NO?

The people of Judah had denied the land its Sabbaths over a period of some 490 years, meaning that they “owed” the land 70 Sabbaths, and to fulfill seventy years God took the years back during the Babylonian exile.”—Guzik Bible Commentary

Simple, easy, logical, flowing, no contradictions, even a 5th grader could answer these questions.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

AlanFs Blog covers it well:

Parts 1 - 6.

Ethos you need a shitload more 'evidence' and from multiple lines before anyone will even begin to take you seriously ....

• BroMac
    BroMac

is the Adda Guppi Stele and Adda Guppi Stele correct or incorrect when it lists the lengths of Kings reigns?

Edit: added the one referenced by Witness My Fury, much more detailed

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I was going to post that too, but went for the blog instead as it covers everything pretty much... however here's the full text of the stele again:

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sitchin/Adda_Guppi_Harran.htm

Apologists cry fake of course,... what else can they do.

• BroMac
    BroMac

all this thread needs is JCanon / Larsinger58 to tell us about the 'revised' timeline by the Persian Artaxerxes/Xerxes

• BroMac
    BroMac

Ethos:

But AlanF, Jeffro, AnnoMaly and others will not accept this. In fact, they all maintain that Jerusalem was destroyed in 587/586 BCE. Now make a mental note that Cyrus first regnal year is from Nisan 538 to Nisan 537. (Mar/April) Count 70 years from the destruction of Jerusalem and this will bring you to 517 BCE. Does not work.

again you will only ever consider 70yrs from the destruction of Jerusalem. Fundamentally flawed

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit