Apostates and the Holy Spirit

by iamwhoiam 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

It was often said in my congregation, not only about apostates but about any wrongdoer. It was based on Achan, the Israelite that stole from Jericho. The Israelites then lost a war with Ai, due to Achan's theft, so he was stoned to death.

Since at any one time I would guess every congregation has a wrongdoer, it would mean the holy spirit is missing from all congregations.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Puny Holy Spirit.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

wow doesn't say much about holy spirit. A single imperfect individual can thwart holy spirit. If that were true I'd attend today

• sd-7
    sd-7
    Since at any one time I would guess every congregation has a wrongdoer, it would mean the holy spirit is missing from all congregations.

By that logic, Israel should have lost all their battles, and JHVH's organization should have crashed and burned long ago. The good thing is there's enough divine-arbitrary-and-cruel moments that it balances itself out.

--sd-7

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Ummm. That wouldn't probably fall under official teaching. Probably just a bad elders excuse.

Not true, check out their commentary on Joshua 7. They believe that ANY concealed sin removes God's Holy Spirit from the congregation. This could range from apostasy to something like a courting couple getting to third base.

-Sab

• mrbunyrabit
    mrbunyrabit

Yea that holy spirit is a real Picky Pickle

Moses had to share his Holy spirit with those other guys who were going to help him (guess coz there weren’t enough to go around)

And yet there’s enough Holy spirit left in the bones of a dead body (think Elijah or someone) to resurrect a dead guy who touched it (thrown onto his bones)...

Yup, that holy spirit, reaaaly picky and what not

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

I mean seriously. God says, "You have a bad person in your congregation. I'm not going to tell you who it is, but I'm going to take my holy spirit and go away until you figure it out. Suffer, fools!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit