A letter from a College Dropout

by Ethos 73 Replies latest jw friends

• dontplaceliterature
  • JeffT
    JeffT

Dear College Dropout

Try not to let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Sincerely,

Harvard University

PS, you might find that a school with lower standards suits your needs better. We would suggest Yale.

• perfect1
    perfect1

I liked Harvard. The students have been groomed for the Ivy league, you can see the investment their parents made in them. Smart people just make you smarter. There are some true geeks, but you know, I prefer people who care about something. Even if its like insect social hierarchies or whatever.

Sorry to other posters if my tone was nasty- nothing pisses me off more than a JW attacking higher ed- or worse comparing that garbage to an actual education.

My parent used to sneer when I told them what I wanted to do- saying I would never be able to- I am not trying to boast so much as I have looked that ignorant spiteful brainwashing in the eye and any fool who- without any experience whatsoever, criticizes college I will squash you.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I'm sure all of this has already been covered, but I can't help myself.

I have decided go leave this institution of education. Let me explain why. First of all, you coerced me out of my will into joining this university.

This analogy is false. Nobody gets coerced into going to Harvard. If anything, it works the other way around with applicants doing everything in their power to be accepted by the University, not the University doing everything it can to get the students to 'join' (possible exceptions being VIP students that would be prize for the school). A quick google search says Harvard only accepts 6.2 percent of applicants, rejecting many very well qualified students.

In contrast, the JWs constantly recruit and accept everyone who applies as long as they agree to follow the JW man-made rules. Also in contrast, the children of JWs ARE coerced into joining the group.

I was not made thoroughly aware of what is expected of me and given the option to choose whether I would consent to these terms and conditions.

This analogy is false. What is expected of University students is common public knowledge. Harvard preps incoming freshmen about exactly what to expect. Current students freely share what it is like at Harvard. Graduates freely share what it is like at Harvard. estimated costs are posted on the net. "Rate my professor" even tells you how each professor grades and what their individual requirements are.

In contrast, many things about the JW man-made organization, are kept from potential recruits, only to be revealed when the reruit has gotten in deep enough and has enough invested that they will swallow the bad stuff...like shunning family members, for example. Brand new recruits are never told of that one! You have to be fairly committed to the JWs before they tell you that one...

Therefore, I purchased extremely costly textbooks written by your professors. But guess what, I purchased the twelfth edition of these biology and anatomy textbooks. I went online, did some research, and found the first 11 editions. Can you believe how much they have changed the information and illustrations contained therein?? Biology doesnt change. Anatomy isnt changing. One day you want us to believe DNA is everything, then the next day 98% of it is leftover genetic junk DNA, and now its vitally important again. Which is it? Does biology suddenly flip flop what it does? Whatever these pseudo, self appointed, biological innovators say we believe. Every thing they write we are expected to memorize, regurgitate, and blindly accept as truth.

This analogy is completely false. Science does not demand that we blindly accept theories as truth. We accept theories as our current best explanation for the data we see. All students of science understand that theories are THEORIES. Theories are challenged. Better theories emerge and replace old theories...that is how science works...

In contrast, the JWs do not have THEORIES. They claim to have THE TRUTH. JW TRUTH may not be challenged. At all. Period.And the JW TRUTH must be accepted blindly.

Whatever the history book tells us happened, they test us on and REQUIRE us to believe whatever they write.

This is totally false, and pretty much the opposite of what they teach you in college.

I have read several books and can perfectly identify cults and this describes the manner in which your facility operates.

There is no book on cults that describes the way Harvard University operates. There are, however, many books on cults that describe the way the JW Org operates (but don't mention JWs at all). For example, Combatting Cult Mind Control.

Whenever someone disagrees with your beloved administrators they are disciplined and are shunned and thrown out.

People are not shunned for disagreeing with Harvard administrators. Harvard also does not throw people out for disagreeing with administrators.

In contrast, people ARE shunned for disagreeing with the elders or the GB in the JW org.

They cannot tell me, a grown man, what to do. I am done with this cult, and I am throwing away my textbooks! But I will continue to write about, speak about, and think about your organization because I hate it zo much. I must let the world.know about how great of a cult you are

Again, this analogy is false. Former students of Harvard do not have websites to support them and to help them adjust to life outside Harvard, though they are free to make them if they wanted to. But they don't. In contrast, former JWs do have websites to support them and help them adjust to life outside their high control group. As do former Scientologist, and former members of other high control groups.

People who leave Harvard do no describe leaving as 'escaping'. Former JWs do.

People who leave Harvard don't have to sneak out and try to 'fade' in order to keep their families. JWs do.

People who leave Harvard are not punished for the rest of their lives or until they return to Harvard. JWs are punished for the rest of their lives or until they return to the JWs.

People are free to leave Harvard without sufferening blackmail, emotional abuse, and the loss of family.

• minimus
    minimus

Dumb thread

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Ethos,

Your imaginary letter tells us some misconcptions you have about higher education and its worth.

Also the right/or wrongness of university teachers to teach without haveing a slow argumentive student hold up the rest of his class useing this as a reason for dropping out. I think cognitive dissonance has made the students ability to comprehend DNA and Evolution very difficult so he needs to get rid of some of that Jehovah Witness programming and he will do better in college next time around.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Certainly, college grads here remember the student reviews of faculty members, complete with statistical graphs of grade distribution. Our administrative law professor was funny. Another person wrote the leading treatise in the field. All Supreme Court cases quote to the leading treatise. He pretended his treatise was the best. During a discussion, he went around the class in his Socratic manner. "What is the name of the case 'Marbury v. ?' Referring to Marbury v. Madison of high school fame. Six students in succession said they did not know. We were laughing in his full sight. When it became too cruel, someone yelled "Marbury."

The entire class responded to the question, "What would make this course better?" by writing, "Prof. X should be forced to retire."

Power is not one-sided in college. The Ivies and comps have so many students willing to do almost anything to be admitted.

Personally, I came from a ghetto high school. The physical plant at college was so nice. I felt pride just being in the setting. The landscaping was nice but it was best at orientation and graduation when paying parents are around. I did well in high school because I could read a novel and name the characters. It was similar to the WT. I would estimate half my class graduated from top private schools.

What would be the point of any JW applying to Harvard? Harvard would always win. College opened my eyes in many ways.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

My years at University were the best years of my life. In hindsight, I was religiously minded, and my professors were extremely tolerant, indeed more tolerant than the Watchtower, which allows no dissent or alternative views. And, Ethos, please remember to put it on your CV if and when you drop out of University. Your prospective employer will be impressed.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Ho Hum, I was looking forward to some debates and conversations with an honest hearted JW. (Another oxymoron)

In Ethos all we have found is yet another TROLL , if indeed it is another one, as many of you suspect this one we may well have met before, the Modus Operandi is exactly the same, don't answer or even acknowledge the questions or facts put to "it", go off and start another thread to waste the Apostates time.

Please my fellow JWNers, DO NOT FEED THE TROLL ANYMORE !!!!!!

Love you all, hate Trolls !

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Phizzy, I dare say, old chap, you know, theocratic warfare and all that. Apologist-trolls just love to throw their names away.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit