Anti-JW billboard going up in Texas

by sunny23 70 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• sunny23
    sunny23
    Its being put up along a major road near a convention center during convention time of the year for the JWS there.
  • kaik
    kaik
    I do not think it will reach the targeted audience - JWs in WT.
  • PokerPlayerPhil
    PokerPlayerPhil

Are trying to make a dent in people who might be faltering religious wise, I hope it has the right effects of helping them free themselves instead of making them cling back to a religion they were on the exit plan shortly. While talking with a kid who has many pioneers in his family, it's weird how he was clinging to the religion even though he celebrated birthdays, Christmas, Easter and Halloween, try to figure that out! His parents are out of the religion or do the annual Memorial Token visit with all the other Outcasts J.W.s pride themselves not being.

So what's the answer to this question, is the goal to warn the public and prevent them from drawing close to a religion that's losing relevance and rapidly become stale like bread without preservatives? The Watchtower wishes their 1914 and Twisted-Generation Teachings had the shelf-life of Twinkies but they don't. JW Facts has shown to anyone willing to open their eyes the Watchtower's Doctrines are falling apart. Who is the targeted audience with the poster because the website used for those who want to discover more information might want to change content to fit the correct demographics. Do you know if they did some experimental research to see who would be best suited for these signs?

I agree with some of what Simon says, they have the low retention rate because their goal is to get you in the door, once your in they dump you off because they can't count time anymore and once you leave their willing to apply all the time needed to expel you! Your screwed twice over, you lost your physically family if you were a bitch or cock to them, and if you get kicked out there goes all your pseudo JW Family that they promised for be there for you!

"I'm not 'against' doing things per se - I just don't think it's the most cost-effective way of reaching people and is the wrong message for the wrong audience. It's unclear what the intention of it is meant to be or how success will be measured - key factors for any advertising campaign.

BTW: JWs already have the lowest retention rate of religions - I think the information is available for those who want it but you can't make people want it until they are ready.

Flag Dislike Like
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

RobertT18 - "Why give them reason or encouragement to think they are being persecuted?"

A billboard is "persecution"?

Please. Loss of tax-exempt status would be worse "persecution".

Besides, they're already gonna think that, anyway.

• steve2
    steve2

A billboard is "persecution"?

To a rational-minded individual, No.

To a reactive-minded individual, Yes, because it singles out their beliefs for criticism and takes aim with one of the most sensitive current issues (pedophilia).

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

That seems expensive for 1-month of exposure. I'm surprised businesses are paying that much, but what do I know about advertizing?

While a tourist in the NorthEastern US, I noticed the barrage of Atheist billboards, as well as an abundance of billboards supporting the Catholic Church. I'm sure one was in response to the other but I don't know thich came first (chicken or egg issue). They certainly caught my attention and I thought the Atheist message was very strong -- We're your neighbors -- we're normal, no horns or pitchfork -- etc. So I think the billboard idea might draw some real attention. Esp if a local TV Station picks up on the controversy during the convention.

Personally, I wonder if the pedophile issue is the strongest/best issue to use. If you or your family was personally affected by it or were personally abused (and I realize many here had that situation) then you likely have strong emotional feelings about the issue. However, I don't think most R&F JWs are that concerned about it. They are not aware of it (unless they are already lurking somewhere).

Personally, I think messages like:

Why is there always New Lite about JW doctrine? Did God change his mind?

Why so many corrections in JW Doctrine? Who made all the mistakes?

>

WHAT ISSUE GOT YOU THINKING? AND EVENTUALLY CAUSED YOU TO LEAVE?

Doc

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

maybe it should say 'congregation', instead of khall.

and have more than one website for other cult like denominations as well. the blue is a dead giveaway tho lol

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

This is a fine idea. It was crowd funded so nobody came out of pocket too much. The more negative messaging out there the better. The cost is the cost. Saying it may have been better used elsewhere is pointless. Its done, and it going to be seen by 70% of the people going to the convention at least by what I can tell. Many may not have even heard of such a thing. Maybe it will shock some enough to look, or their kids will google the link int he back seat on their phones.

I do agree "kingdom hall" could be over the public s head.

• Simon
    Simon
    When does it actually go up? I presume someone will post a picture of it when it's "live"
  • wifibandit
    wifibandit
    I will be taking pictures on two different weekends. There are a few others who will be getting pictures as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit