I grew up not fearing old age

by Sour Grapes 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• Joepublisher1
    Joepublisher1

WASBLIND:

Those are two interesting quotes to put side-by-side, one found in the Bible and uttered by Satan, the other uttered by the WTS leaders. The difference is that Eve never knew any human family member who had died - the sense of loss, the mourning, etc. The WTS apparently knew that many people would love to entertain the thought of NEVER dieing - or seeing a loved one die! I know it was a welcomed concept for me, even in my young 20s! I used to think, if these teachings of JWs are true, why wouldn't anyone accept them? Well, apparently most people were quite aware of the expression, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't!" and would never get invovled with such a crazy religion. It just seems that the WTS knew that this teaching - never dieing - would entice some people and would result in an increase their ranks and the monetary contributions that that increase brings. Of course, the constant moving of the goal posts as to when this would happen eventually helped many long-time and once faithful JWs to realize that something was very wrong with their leaders AND the internet then provided the means for any JW to learn TTATT!

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

It's a hard thing to take - I think doubly harder for anyone born in or raised in. It isn't just looking at the pictures of a younger you - I think its so much more that people shouldn't pooh-pooh. There is a loss of years - the average person can go about their life and look back and ask where it all went? But in between that time you didn't have the pressure, guilt and conditioning to run away from music rather than enjoy it - you refused to watch a movie or read a book because it was evil - you basically signed a vow of poverty and filled your day with work for the Society because in the end, you believed it was temporary - you didn't save because you were never going to be old - you didn't go to college because you wouldn't need it - you didn't get close to your grandparents or other people because they weren't one of you - you didn't dance when and how you shouldn't have - you married people because they 'belonged' and not because they belonged with or too you ----

The list could go on but for every older person that looks back on a lifetime spent in that organization - and who now doesn't have the good health, the money, or the family and friends - often not even the direction or motivation - it is an extremely difficult transition and one that many people cannot successfully make and that is why so many people go back.

All experiences are different - but for many - looking in the mirror isn't just about the body but about the mind - and when both have been bent and trapped by a force greater than themselves - like a tree - sometimes the trunk is impossible to force upright.

sammieswife

• d
    d

I take one day at a time and learn to appreciate life becuase their are others that are not so fortunate.

• lumper
    lumper

I was a member of my HS class of 1975. I just knew that by October of 75 it would be all over. i can identify with the various regrets expressed in this thread, but let me cheer you up with a thought that I have held onto for thirty + years. If we all didn't grow old we would never know the blessing of seeing our children and grandchildren become adults. In my case i am doubly thankful all my kids and grandkids were never scared by the cult!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit