I grew up not fearing old age

by Sour Grapes 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

As a teenage JW, I grew up believing that I was not going to finish high school nor would I get old and have to die like my grandparents did. Well, I did finish high school, as did my children and my grandchildren and old age has not been kind to me. I don't like to look at pictures from 40 years ago, from a time when I was healthy and I had the goal of "stay alive till 75." The aging of the human body makes one unrecognizable even though you know it was you. I now do not fear death but I as saddened that I did not have the realization that it would happen to me. I now envy the people who went to church because because they knew that they were going to die and go to heaven, however I was not going to grow old and die. I believed in a fairy tale for most of my life and looking into the mirror in the morning I realize that I too will die like my grandparents. Sour Grapes

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

But, you're still here. That's something. Why not pass on wisdom instead of sulking? There is still life to be lived...

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Why not pass on wisdom instead of sulking?

Knowsnothing: Perhaps our friend SG is not sulking. . . . just stating one of the [real] truths that one has to deal with once learning TTATT.

I know the feeling all too well.

We were so brainwashed -- so conditioned -- so convinced -- so arrogant. We would never get old or die. We were special!

After learning TTATT, it changes to: So stupid. So gullible. So deceived.

Doc

<<<< I don't like to look at pictures from 40 years ago, from a time when I was healthy and I had the goal of "stay alive till 75." The aging of the human body makes one unrecognizable even though you know it was you.>>>>

While aging is inevitable, poor health isn't. Proper nutrition and exercise are the fountain of youth.

I've been eating right and exercising regularly since high school. As a result, I still look pretty much the same as I did in college (uh, with an added wrinkle or two, and with a little more muscle). I still do the same active, athletic activities I've always done, and physically, I feel as good as I did in my 20s.

You're never too old to start. The best way to go about it is get a physical to make sure that it's ok for you to exercise vigorously, and then get yourself a trainer, preferably someone that looks like they take steroids (because they tend to know how to do the exercises right). Get some books on nutrition, but the simple way to look at it is that you need protein and carbs in every meal; at least 20 grams of protein per meal. Above that, eat like an animal. If it comes in a box, can or jar, it most likely wouldn't be available to animals in the natural habitat, and therefore, it should not be part of your diet.

Don't think you can't do it. You can. Replace the excuses with effort and you'll discover the fountain of youth!

• Londo111
    Londo111

Along with that is the realization we need to save for retirement…that was not a concept for me before this year.

• Left in the Cold
    Left in the Cold

"Never regret growing old. It is a privilege denied to many." -unsure

That being said, I'm in my 30's so I'll shut up now. :)

• Room 215
    Room 215

Looks like "staying alive until (you're) 75 (hopefully longer, and in good health)" is the current watchword .....

• Gayle
    Gayle

Living a life of realistic phases is still better than living in a world of being unrealistic as the JW world does. The JWs put off embracing 'this' life fully, always waiting for their "la-la world." JWs as they age, have to face their eventuality also, though never admitting any error of belief.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

Sour Grapes, I know where you're coming from. I never expected to grow old and die either.I used to count the years and think: I will be 29 when the new order comes. Whoa!! What happened? OH!, nothing happened. The world continued on and we were left behind. There's lots of catching up to do. Get with it. Get busy living or get busy dying. It's a letdown when you realize what you believed all your life is a lie. I realized ttatt in my fourties so I have adapted. I now live every day for what it's worth. I am now near my seventies. I can't believe so much time has elasped but it has. I still have a full time job and work forty hours a week. I am hoping I can work until I'm seventy-five. Time will tell. Because we got lemons, it is best that we make lemonade. Go with what you now have left. We got screwed! Now it's time to come to terms with what we have and make the most of it. I feel your pain but we have to change direction. The truth is we will die just like our grandparents, but WE ARE ALIVE NOW! Like the Eagles song, "Take it Easy" says: "We may lose or we may win, but we will never be here again." We have to go with what we have now. When some younger people make fun of me for being old, I just reply: "you should be so lucky!" Most give me respect because as I tell them, "I've been there, done that."

PHG

• itscrap&theyknowit!
    itscrap&theyknowit!

"We were so brainwashed -- so conditioned -- so convinced -- so arrogant. We would never get old or die. We were special!"

@Desirous of Change - GREAT AZZ POINT!!!!

@Sour Grapes - I feel for you. I hear you. That was a good way to put it. BASICALLY, BEING TAUGHT THAT AFTER YOU LEAVE THIS LIFE YOU WOULD BE WITH YOUR LOVED ONES WHO ARE AWAITING YOU IN HEAVEN.

My heart hurts for my dad. He died young (age 66) of cancer. He was angry because he was such a happy and gregarious person. Wanting the best for EVERYBODY that came into his presence. Lived a "simple" life because that's how the J-Dubbs are taught. My dad had so much damned potential to be so much more...to do so much more in life.

He was VERY angry in the days before he died. God had given him the mental capacity all the way to the end to KNOW he would be snatched away from his family. The people he loved deeeply. Knowing he would never see any of us again....

...and we will never see him ever again. I am still very angry w/this religion. It gave us all false hope.

My parents became J-Dubbs in the 1970's while in their early to mid 30's, taught they would never die and their 5 young children would never finish secular schooling in this life. We'd all be in Paradise circa...1980ish.

Well, now, dad has passed away...young. And now, mom wants to go because she misses him so badly. We all miss him.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit