I grew up not fearing old age

by Sour Grapes 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• itscrap&theyknowit!
    itscrap&theyknowit!

@LONDO 111 - Right!!!! Many of J-Dubbs I've spoken with NEVER invested in 401k!!!! Sounds stupid and unprepared but, this is what the ARROGANCE of this CULT has done to many!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

yea there's a huge amount of dubs that have nothing for retirement. Hey I bought into it as well. Never thought about olod age or getting severly ill. What a short sighted joke

• itscrap&theyknowit!
    itscrap&theyknowit!

Well, my dad worked 37 years, secularly. He did "LEAVE BEHIND" my mom a VERY nice egg. We all just thought we'dnever have to utilize it. He never got to "utilize" old age/retirement.

That's what I tell my kids, "do well in life, go to college, live where you want, where you want, make mistakes, travel, travel, travel, see the world for yourself, DO NOT MARRY YOUNG, save for old age/retirement and have PLENTY OF FUN LIVING LIFE!!!!!!!!!!! Exhaust THIS LIFE!!!

"IS THIS LIFE ALL THERE IS?" YES, IT IS!!!!!! So, have PLENTY of fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

It is amazing how many of my friends who are JW's say that

they never thought that we would still be on this side of the

GT. The die hards though will say "just think how much closer

we are now." They still honestly believe that the end is near.

I used to tell people that I studied with in the early 1970's that

if they did not serve Jehovah that they would be dead in a

few years. We all are going to die at some ppint in time so we need

to love life and live like there is no tomorrow.

Sour Grapes

<<<<We all are going to die at some ppint in time so we need to love life and live like there is no tomorrow.>>>>

Amen. Eat drink and be merry for tomorrow you shall die!

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I know exactly how you feel. I was never supposed to graduate high school either, and now my high school class is celebrating their 30 year reunion!

I try not to think about my own mortality, it would only drive me crazy-(Crazier-lol).

As you yourself just said, we need to love life and live like there is no tomorrow.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

You are so right Sourgrapes.... I do not read it as a grumble - just realistic. We all believed the lies, we all bought into the fairy story. It is like a massive ponzi scheme - an investment that cannot pay out what it promised because there was never anything behind it.

People say that we did not look make provision for our future, but we did. We worked hard for "The Lord" , we worked for "that which money cannot buy" and believed we were "Laying up treasures in Heaven" building a future in "The real life"......Hah!

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

I hear you. That fact smacked into my brain one day, and I'm still coming to terms with it. I'm 53 and I was never even supposed to graduate high school.

• atrapado
    atrapado

I wish the newer generations would like at the old timers and learn from them. Most of the Spanish congregations I have been to are relative young but their perceptions is that the end is almost here. Why save? I saw some even getting into debt assuming that the end is so close they'll probably won't have to deal with the debt.

I think of what the future hold for this individuals and you don't have to look very far. You can look at the English congregations to see what the future holds for them. However their standard of living will probably be worse.

The cycle keeps repeating.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

itscrap&theyknowit, your comments make me so sad. Sad for your Dad and what he might have accomplished had it not been for this organization. We, and the world, have lost much that we could have contributed to society had it not been for this organization.My brother once commented that one of our jw friends could have been Lee Trevino, the iconic golfer. This boy was a caddy for all the well-off people where we lived and played golf every day; he became a great golfer, but all he ever did was do what the borg required of him. He never even thought about doing anything he wanted to do. I see such intelligent and creative people on this site that I know could have "been somebody" and contributed so much to the world at large had it not been for the constraints this organization placed on all of us. It justs makes me sick to think aout it. I hope all of you will follow your dreams and know that the sky is the limit for all of you; forget about what we used to think. We were lied to and now this life is all we have. I, myself, have done what I can to recapture what I lost and have been successful enough that I have never had to ask anyone for any help. I have inspired my children to get a college degree and do what they can to succeed in life, but I must confess that I am getting up in years and I am a little tired. Now, I just want to encourge those who breaking free from the borg and say: There is life after the borg. Be whatever you know you can be. Follow your dreams and don't look back. We got screwed by the borg, but we are free now. You have a life to live. Make the most of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit