Image of God - the Bible or Christ?

by tec 132 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Question to Tec: If A=B and B=C, then doesn't A=C?

Answer from Tec: Often that can be true, but it makes no sense to me or I feel differently or I will discuss how I think that X is greater than Y, which you may clearly state has nothing to do with the question about A, B, and C, but I will simply go on ignoring logic and stick with X and Y.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

The problem is that the two aren't mutually exclusive. No matter how you may deny it, your Christ wouldn't exist without the bible. Christians shape their perception of Jesus based on what's written in the bible, but then claim they are not following the bible, but rather Christ.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Tammy,

What if it was, say, Allah speaking to you, pretending to be Jesus. Or Vishnu, pretending to be Allah, who in turn was pretending to be Jesus.... Could you, the imperfect human being, be wrong?

See, with multitude of omnipotent dieties out there things can get really dicey. The mere fact that you reject all of them, except for your chosen one, gives no credence of its existence, or of the non-existense of the others whatsoever.

• tec
    tec

Keyser, but they are mutually exclusive. Well, perhaps I see some of your point. There can be no bible without Christ or God (or at least the beleif in them... which could not have originally come from writings that did not exist)... but there can be Christ and God without the bible. Else there would have been nothing to base the writings upon.

The problem is, that today, the two are intertwined. So people have a hard time considering that they weren't always so.

Yan, I wasn't attempting to prove the existene of God. Only highlighting the differences between the image being Christ... or the bible.

Now, if a person doesn't believe in God at all, then why would either matter to them? But for those who do, I question how someone might think that the bible is the image of God, over Christ.

Peace,

tammy

• cofty
    cofty

Much of what i have come to understand about some things in the OT, such as the Adam/Eve account, I have learned in Spirit

Translated as - when I am stuck I just go with what feels right and credit it to god.

Magic carpet theology - it will take you wherever you want to go.

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Yan, I wasn't attempting to prove the existene of God. Only highlighting the differences between the image being Christ... or the bible.

Hmm, no. You can't get to the latter, if the former is untrue....

It is only one more step, Tammy. The bible is the word of god and so on....

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Tammy, I have only just seen this thread.

Excellent. You express far better than I ever could exactly what I would like to,say.

There is a very good and interesting book called "Jesus: self portrait by God" by Enda Lyons.

Conveniently, it is even a Google book.

Through Jesus, we can see the ideal of what we could be. Not only that, but we can see God in human form.

Through studying him, his words and actions as shown in the New Testament, we can get a clear idea of what God wants. I do not see a God obsessed with organisation and structure, Qcmbr. That is a bizarre twist insisted on my the Watchtower. Jesus shows us a God of mercy, of pity, who heals and cares especially for the poor and weak. Overwhelmingly, he shows us a God of love. Through him, we can learn about God.

True, we can also learn something about God through the written history and records of the prophets etc, but there is a strong human filter. Some of the Old Testament is much more the history of a nation and of its laws.

Christ shows us a new way. He tells us he IS the Way. The Bible is more like a map.

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear Tammy...

you said: "(Much of what i have come to understand about some things in the OT, such as the Adam/Eve account, I have learned in Spirit. Then, when i do receive understanding, i always kick myself, lol, because why did i not see it before? The understanding given is always in unity with the Image of God being loving and merciful, as Christ shows Him to be. I think we become so accustomed to seeing something a certain way, that we are blind to anything else... unless we are shown.)"...

why do you insist that eden was "spiritual" and not physical?...why do you insist that God gave A&E flesh to cover their incorporeal "being"...coverings to "trap" their "sin"?...why do you believe that Jesus Christ was concerned about the "spirit" of a person over the flesh of the person?...is it because our spiritual sin needs to be covered?

Why did Jesus Christ on the night He was betrayed break the bread too?

According to the bible Jesus came in the flesh to heal the flesh because it was fallen just as much as the spirit of man...which would make sense if the flesh of man was that which would die by not eating from the tree of life. The spirit of man continues on after the death of the flesh and Jesus, in His resurrection, made it possible to put on incorruptable flesh...that wouldn't die like that flesh that was given in the garden. His "wine" covers our sins...His "bread" redeems our flesh.

love michelle

• elderelite
    elderelite

I wonder, tec, on a thread like this, why do you run away from the core of your beliefs? The core of all you hold to be true is that christ can whisper something to you, that only you hear, and that whisper can over ride anything written in the bible. Why do not simply own that....?

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

I really think tec will drive some people to the edge of frustration; as however hard they try, Christ is never going to talk to them and provide ludicrous answers to bible questions for them. Some people do talk to themselves, but they don't have a 'talking Christ' in their head as well, and never will have.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit