Image of God - the Bible or Christ?

by tec 132 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

Peace to you!

I wanted to get some thoughts out there on this subject, because there are so many people who look to the bible as the image of God. To the point that they do not look to Christ at all, but rather they look to the law or to Moses or to the OT as the image of God... OVER... Christ. To the point that the bible has become a block to seeing and coming to Christ, and hence, seeing and coming to His Father.

But this is backward. What point would there be in having your Son come as the Truth; to come as your Image and Word, to tell people to listen to Him... if people already had the truth? If all that people needed to do was look to the OT or the law, or Moses? What point would there have been in Christ correcting former understanding and even teaching, if all that was taught and written in the past was correct? Why would he have said, come to ME, for life... and admonished searching the scriptures and thinking that by them they had life?

If you claim to be a bible follower, then perhaps you give no part of it more credence than another part of it. But then, consider His teaching on searching the scriptures for life, rather than coming to HIM for life. Consider also, that you might have to twist some of the teachings of Christ to make them fit with something that is in conflict. Which, to me, defeats the purpose in Christ coming to teach us Truth.

Some people find it very difficult to understand how someone can reject some parts of the bible that would be in conflict with the Image Christ gives, but not reject it all.

Well:

A) It is not an all or nothing book. It is not all scripture. Some of it is scripture, some of it law (and some of that is damage control), some of it is parable, some of it is moral teaching, some of it is poetry and song, and some of it is history and records. Some of it is investigation, and some of it is witness testimony. It is NOT inerrant. It is NOT one book, despite having been put in one binding.

B) We, as Christians and disciples of Christ... are to follow CHRIST. We are not told, by Christ or God, to search the scriptures for Truth. We are told to go to Christ and to listen to Him.

So for me, it is very simple. I listen to Christ. Nothing that is in conflict with Him or the Image He gives of God, can be OF God. Those conflicts could be an error in translation, or in previous understanding, or in our misunderstanding of the context today. So if I do look at things written in the OT, or elsewhere, I look with the understanding of God that I have received from His Image: Christ. I do not twist Christ's teachings to make them fit with something someone else has taught. Once again, that is backward.

(Much of what i have come to understand about some things in the OT, such as the Adam/Eve account, I have learned in Spirit. Then, when i do receive understanding, i always kick myself, lol, because why did i not see it before? The understanding given is always in unity with the Image of God being loving and merciful, as Christ shows Him to be. I think we become so accustomed to seeing something a certain way, that we are blind to anything else... unless we are shown.)

There is so much more that can be said on this topic, lol. But the bottom line is: Christ is the Image and Word and Truth of God. Nothing and no one else. So why listen to someone/something else over him? And why put even the bible above Christ, Himself?

I do not think badly of the Bible. Other than that some use it to twist the teachings of Christ into anything they want them to be. I just understand that it is Christ who sheds light on previous teachings... and not the other way around.

So look through Christ to understand God.

Peace,

tammy

• palmtree67
    palmtree67
    "To offer fresh water to the thirsty is an act of compassion, but to obligate him to drink is an act of violence, and to criticize him because he refused to drink is an act of arrogance."

- Ramon Vazquez Lopez

Just a thought.

• Pterist
    Pterist

John 5

39 You study [a] the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me to have life.

Have a blessed night in his presence and grace, enabling us to worship our Father in Spirit and Truth.

Shalom Tec

11.55pm Florida time.

• tec
    tec

Curious thought, Palm. No one here has done such a thing.

(The criticising or forcing part, I mean. I agree with the sentiment itself.)

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Peace also to you, Pterist, and to yours,

tammy

• mP
    mP

Here we go again, TEC writes up some imaginative positive story until somebody raises the dark card of slavery, treatment of women and racism attributed in the Bible to Gods law and championed by Jesus to be perfect and last forever.

• LV101
    LV101

Good topic, Tammy. I don't know what the basic, mainstream, churches teach about this but I really appreciate your observation/conclusion and it seems too good to be true after watchtower work-based, indoctrination. It certainly seems a more logical way to deal with finding answers regarding our lives/spirituality although Christ's words were there all along --- plain and simple. Your point about blindness is true.

Love and best to you -

• LV101
    LV101

mp --- how do we know God was part of slavery, abuse of women, etc., when this could all be man using God the same way religions today use the God card to enslave people. Quite a contrast from Christ --- I realize Christ didn't put an end to it but he didn't put an end to other worldly difficulties/miseries of the times but to offer us hope/everlasting life.

I don't have your Bible knowledge so be kind.

• tec
    tec

I think the beliefs of basic/mainstream churches vary, LV. I think, but could be wrong, that it is mostly the fundamentalist churches who teach inerrancy of the bible. I think Christ sometimes gets buried under doctrines and/or religions and/or men (think GB)

Peace and love to you,

tammy

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

I'm sure we are all very happy for you, tec- but why do you have to go on & on about it like a cracked record?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit