Our First Halloween

by Red Piller 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• crmsicl
    crmsicl

Great that you celebrated Halloween with your kids. I enjoyed your post and went back and read some of your other threads to see if I could get a little info on how your family came to this momentous event. I didn't find anything along that vein so I'm interested in how your kids and wife feel about living a double life. Are your kids comfortable about keeping things like celebrating Halloween a secret to JW's?

Regarding the stinginess of Jw's. My thought is that the JW's with some means are reluctant to be to generous because many don't have a lucritive income or none. So when it is noticed that Bro and Sis generous have monies to spare....well you know the rest. We have never been paid back the full amount of the money we have loaned. Once my husband bailed a sisters husband out of jail (trumped up charges). Never saw them again.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I enjoyed your story ! We have gone over the top this year for Halloween . My husband designed a Halloween light and music show for our yard and we advertized it on a facebook page . He had his picture on the front page of the local newspaper ....All this from the guy that teased me when we faded for being 'evil' and celebrating Christmas , now everyone will think I corrupted him into holidays

But seriously ,isn't it so much FUN to see the little kids at your door dressed up ? We sure missed out with our children . I am happy for you that you are able to do these things with your kids while they are young and build some great memories for them .

• Red Piller
    Red Piller

Thanks for the well wishes you guys. It was an experience tinged with sadness. What took us so long to see through this nonsense?

Troubled mind: I think when I'm totally free I will be very over-the-top for every holiday. It must be a way for some of us to cope and heal.

creamsicle: Good point on how financially strapped many witnesses are. It's sad. We've lent money, also. To their credit, it was repayed.

As far as the 'double life', I decided at the outset that there were too many complications to the whole rip-the-band-aid-off approach. So, I've been trying to gradually remove harmful influences from my kids lives. And trying to replace those influences with positive experiences and people. I don't have a specific plan - I've been more opportunistic. This event was definitely the furthest I've reached. It's a milestone. This measured approach won't continue forever. But I do think I need it, for now.

innerpeace:Isn't it exhausting? The constant doom and gloom and joylessnness.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I'm so glad you and your kids got to go out for Halloween and just have fun. I realized a few years ago wen I would go out with my kids that Halloween is sort of a good way to build a close knit community. It's a night when your neighbors may be actively waiting for you to call and see what your kids are costumed as, you can get a little chitchat going, introductions can be made, it's fun for everyone.

This Halloween I went out with my son, we're in a new neighbor hood now, and we came upon a cul-de-sac where the neighbors had a fire pit going, music playing and were sitting around having a good time while their kids played and the trick-or-treaters came by for candy. It was great.

• Londo111
    Londo111

It was my first real Halloween as well...and that_quiet_girl's.

We went to an event at the Poe Museum last Thursday, then there was an event at my church. That_quiet_girl was dressed as a Glee Cheerleader. I went dressed as Martin Luther.

I didn’t do any door-to-door Wednesday night. Red Piller, did you write down your “not at homes”?

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I agree with the comments about it fostering a community spirit.

It's nice to wave to complete strangers who are just having fun like you are. The little kids look so cute in their costumes.

And it feels good to hand out lollies (candy) to happy kids (and adults lol).

• crmsicl
    crmsicl

Red Pillar: I think that your approach is very good in make influential changes to your families life gradual, that way it will seem natural and right. Sometimes not having a specific plan is actually best. Thanks for sharing.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

My first Halloween this year too.

I didn't buy any candy - like I'm made of money in this economy. :P

So, I illuminated my kitchen with a red light, cracked open my kitchen window, put a pair of welding glasses on, and banged two cast iron pots together while staring dead ahead and slamming my biggest kichen kinfe against a wooden cutting board in sync with the cast iron pots. (My kitchen window faces the street.)

Nobody rang my doorbell all night. I'll consider it a halloween success. :D

I noticed two of my neighbors looking at me into my kitchen that night. Weirdos.

- Lime

• happy@last
    happy@last

My youngest went to her first Halloween school disco this week too, she loved it and had a smile from ear to ear, gave me immeasurable happiness.

My roommate's father carved a pumpkin and although my first thought is to be weary or nervous around it, I didn't let it bother me. It's a pumpkin for god sake! I think it's actually cool. I've never seen the inside of a pumpkin, lol or been in the same house as a carved one for halloween.

This is definitely a year of firsts:

first celebrated birthday

first time voting for president

first time sending a birthday card

first time celebrating others birthdays

having freedom of mind and life outside the borg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit