Our First Halloween

by Red Piller 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

I felt that sadness this year, too, that I had deprived my own kids of a tradition that is so much fun. I think my grandkids and I have more fun getting ready than actually going out - creating costumes, deciding who we want to be, etc. Most people in my neighbourhood don't participate, but there is a nearby community that has adopted Halloween - every single house is decorated and pretty much all of them answer their doors. Lots of them do fun stuff like ask the kids extra questions or do something a bit scary. It's really neat.

Unfortunately I had to work this year and couldn't go along, plus it was really cold, but the kids went down a couple blocks and had their bags half full of candy so they were happy.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Red Piller - love that name - I am a Matrix fan. I am so happy for you and you children! Kids need fantasy and fun. Well we all do. I know we regret the past but now is all that matters. Have fun

• blondie
    blondie

I don't participate in the costume competition at work, but I enjoy all the inspired people.

My husband works with children and handed out candy and wore a costume...the adults got a bigger kick out of it. We have a harvest theme at home and hand out candy. We had 100 children again this year, all from our neighborhood,

I found myself at work "witnessing" to a evangelical guy who said it was the worship of Satan. I asked him if he believed that people continued living after death...he agreed. I pointed out that many see this as the time souls came back to earth to see their family. I asked who was responsible for resurrection God or Satan....he got quiet and excused himself.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Celebrating Halloween makes Jehovah sad... and makes Satan very happy!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

No kids up on the mountain..

So I knock on my own door and yell trick or treat..

Then grab candy from the candy bag..

I got alot of candy this year..I`ll probably go to the same house next year..

.......................... ... OUTLAW

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

We moved to a new house about 18 months ago. Last year I bought 2 bags of candy because I hadn't seen very many children. It turns out every one in town comes here because the houses are close together and there are no lawns and we are known for our Halloween decorating. We ran out early on and had to hide out on the back like a couple of JWs, LOL. This year we spent about $20 on candy, about 180 pieces. We still ran out, although it was close to the end. It was a lot of fun.

• finally awake
    finally awake

We took the kids trick or treating for the first time this year. We gave out candy and then we even went to a Halloween party! I've already started decorating for Christmas

• Red Piller
    Red Piller

Xanthippe - I know my name is a bit over the top. But The Matrix really resonates after you wake up. "You were born into a prison. One you can't touch or feel." This little act of trick-or-treating was just one more mental jail-cell bar removed.

loading - my goal is to vote in the next presidential election.

crmsicle - I am optimistic about my approach with the kids. Like all born-ins, my perspective and experiences were very narrow. As I became more independent, I would do things that were frowned upon. Almost every time, I would make great friends (that I kept secret) or have great experiences. It all stood in contrast to the negativity coming from folks in the hall. (With all due respect to the small circle of JW friends I have that care about me.) The disconnect eventually woke me up. I want my kids to start on this path early. As they see and do more, the closed-off JW world will fade in its appeal.

Good to see so many firsts on this thread. Halloween is just one of many things denied to us that foster a sense of community and family. We've all been left out too long.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit