Our First Halloween

by Red Piller 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• Red Piller
    Red Piller

It was a first for all of us.(I grew up in the "truth".) Very risky, considering we are still active in the cong....

So we started at the first house and methodically walked up and down each driveway as worked along the street.
    We were quickly over-taken by kids who were zig-zagging across lawns and doing houses in random order. Suddenly, it dawned on me. OMG! Were doing the houses in the standard field service pattern! That thought saddened me for a moment - the programming is so deep....you don't even realize it, sometimes...

However, about midway through, my kids picked up on the fact that it doesn't have to be so "proper". And they started picking whichever houses and walking on lawns. You could almost physically see their minds taking down one more barrier.

What struck me was how un-awful and normal it all was. Our neighbors were welcoming and friendly.

At the end of the evening, they "clinked" chocolate bars and toasted to "To our first Halloween".

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

As with Christmas, it is better to screw up and do it than it is to not do it at all. Usually, with my hallway decorated to the hilt, I will place a 30 cm bowl full of candy out on a box that is about 40 cm off the floor and leave it out for trick or treaters within the apartment. It usually does the job nicely. I mix Hershey bars, Reeses peanut butter cups, Smarties, SweeTarts, and mixed candy and place it within that bowl.

But, if you are out doing trick or treat, you are better to find the places you trust than to go door to door. All it takes is one axxhole to hand out candy with pins, razor blades, or drugs to totally ruin your Halloween. Not to mention, quite a few are not home--if the light is out, skip it because they are either not home or out of candy. I believe it is a few scumbags out to take trick or treating away from people so they can't have fun or keep traditions alive that are putting crap in candy and handing it out. And I think they need to go to jail for a good long time--for assault, and for acts of terrorism designed to ruin a major tradition.

• Honeybucket
    Honeybucket

This post makes me happy and sad at the same time. Sad that the organization has put those road blocks on people they cant even live normal lives without a twinge of guilt. But yay for the kiddies. Service sucks but getting candy is fun. I too was excited because my husband carved pumpkins with me. Im fading and I had told him I dont believe in its teachings and I am going to live a normal life, start visiting my family on the holidays, and give gifts. btw, why are witnesses so stingy? In all my years as a witness, the only gifts I ever got was for my wedding. Witnesses always reason that they dont need a holiday to show someone they love them with a gift. Giving spirit my rear end. holidays teach you how to give. Christmas- giving. Thanksgiving-thankful Halloween-fun. You get my drift.

• Red Piller
    Red Piller

I agree WTWizard. Better to try and screw up. I learned some things - and will know for next time. And it was all houses of people we knew thankfully....

Yes, Honeybucket, mixed feelings throughout for me. Why was something so normal and friendly so demonized (literally)? But, every journey begins with small steps.

The org does create a lot stingy people. You're never buying anyone a round of drinks or hosting a dinner, or giving candy or giving gifts...All the normal holiday or birthday cheer stuff.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Suddenly, it dawned on me. OMG! Were doing the houses in the standard field service pattern!

LOL! What would have been worse is if you were keeping not-at-homes.

Holidays and Birthdays - Part 2

The Odd Life of Jehovah's Witnesses

• Red Piller
    Red Piller

cobalt: Another fellow who was walking alongside me kept telling his kids, "Keep track of the ones who aren't home. We'll come back to them later!"

That was not helpful!

• innerpeace
    innerpeace

Happy for you, this was officially our first halloween too, well the first one where we actually went trick or treating, it was fun.

Someone on my FB posted a message to the young JW's that are feeling left out because of the holidays, telling them to remember that THEY (the ones celebrating) are the ones that have turned their backs on Jehovah and are worshipping false gods and it's not worth losing their precious everlasting life over...It just made me sick really. Its one thing to think that, but to post it for all to see on FB, I think it offended some of their non JW friends too.

Bring on Christmas I say!

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

I am so happy for you and your children!! Holidays are fun and really bring a family together(if you want them to). We started celebrating about 4 years ago and Halloween was the first one. I laugh about it now how nervous I felt and how new it was to us.

Enjoy them, they make for wonderful family memories.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    At the end of the evening, they "clinked" chocolate bars and toasted to "To our first Halloween".

That's an awesome ending to your story.

I haven't really done any Halloween stuff, but have handed candy to kids at work.

• zoiks
    zoiks

Good for you! This was our first real Halloween as well, and we all had a blast. Isn't it great?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit