Who (not what) is your guilty pleasure? (Controversial favorites)

by Terry 79 Replies latest jw friends

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Not specifically in this order - Christopher Hitchens; Bertrand Russell; Einstein; Richard Dawkins; Sam Harris; Lawrence Krauss - and the woman I would marry on the spot; Ashley Judd.

• Terry
    Terry

I love Chelsea Handler's books but think her TV show at night is flat.

Rush Limbaugh is an entertainer who reminds me of the elders in the Kingdom Hall. He is skilled at false analogies and backtracking when he is wrong.

I do listen to him on the radio. I use to listen to Glen Beck when he was on MSNBC and had his late TV program on Fox. But, his recent antics are tiresome to me now. I like his website: TheBlaze.com

Bill O'Reilly is good when he is good, but, awful when he's on a rant. He's a cross between a guy at a bar who gets too loud and your favorite relative who tries to take over the conversation. I always watch his show.

• undercover
    undercover

Bill O'Reilly. Hate him and enjoy him at the same time. He's not loopy, like Beck or other dunderheads. He's actually bright and at times has some good stuff. It's his pandering to the stupidest of his audience at times that gets me. If he were to play it more straight, he could be a really good, sensible voice for the right.

Billy Graham. Growing up as a JW, I was supposed to not like him...and he didn't think much of us either. But I noticed that his evangelizing was different than other TV evangelists. He seemed, to me anyway, sincere and wanted to help people come to his God. He made a good living at it, but didn't fleece the flock. He wasn't perfect, but who was. As far as mega ministry preachers went, Billy Graham seemed to be the most real and caring. Can't say much for his son, though.

Jeff Gordon. As a long time NASCAR fan, growing up watching the likes of Petty, Pearson, Yarborough, Allison, Earnhardt, the Kid, Jeff Gordon was the anti-christ of stock car racing. First off, he wasn't from the South. He wasn't tough looking... he just didn't fit the mold of your typical, stock car racer. But there was no denying his skill and ability. While we made fun of him, I still got to where I appreciated watching him run.

PSY. The guy behind the Gangnam Style craze. I hate rap and hip hop. I don't like club music or techno.... but I can't help it. I like Gangnam Style. I shouldn't, but when I see the video, or copycats, or spoofs, I get drawn in and just have to watch.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

well, I do sort of like Gordon Ramsay. He's a flaming asshole on one show and a kind and generous person on another show - Master Chef.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

3 of the great loves of my life. Allen, Dickens and Byron.

• talesin
    talesin

well, I do sort of like Gordon Ramsay. He's a flaming asshole on one show and a kind and generous person on another show - Master Chef.

Yes, Hortensia! The Master Chef show is amateurs who aspire to chef-dom. The other show, Hell's Kitchen, is an 'interview' to be the manager of one of his restaurants; thus the difference.

I also love his show "Kitchen Nightmares", where he helps families save their restos from failing.

:)

t

• talesin
    talesin

Terry,

Yah, Chelsea's books are the BOMB! Agree.

xo

tal

• Healthworker
    Healthworker

1) Robert De Niro

2) Ray Franz

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

Eddie Izzard, Jon Stewart, Alan Rickman, Dylan Moran, Stephen Colbert. Though I'm not sure if they'd all be considered controversial.

• Glander
    Glander

Terry,

This is beneath you. No convictions at 60+ ?

Ann Coulter and Bill Maher?

What is your yardstick? substance or personality fetish?

" Good ole' boy who kept low to the ground. All-around asshole."

Okay.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit