Who or is the parclete in John 14:16,26 15:26 16 7-14

by insearchoftruth4 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• insearchoftruth4
  • Chariklo
    Chariklo

The Holy Spirit.

• insearchoftruth4
    insearchoftruth4

Holy Spirit in greek is pneu'ma and the Holy Spirit was already in operating before and throughout Jesus ministry

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Some points for comparison:

How described: (in the verses you cited)

14:16 a helper, the spirit of the truth, the world cannot receive, it remains with you and is in you

14:26 the helper, the holy spirit, will teach you all things and bring back to your minds

15:26 the spirit of the truth, will bear witness about Jesus, and you in turn are to bear witness

16:8 will give the world convincing evidence concerning sin, righteousness, judgment

16:13 will guide you into all the truth, will declare to you the things coming

Compare with:

Jn 3:1-8 being born from the spirit (necessary to see the kingdom of God)

1 Jn 2:18-29 anointing that teaches, gives knowledge

Luke 4:18, Acts 1:8 compare relationship of 'anointing' and 'spirit coming upon' believers with resulting witnessing done by recipients

Thanks for bringing the topic up. The Society ALWAYS uses the term "anointed" in reference to the 144,000 who would rule with Christ in heaven. In contrast, in the NT "anointing" and the related topics involving the "helper" are NEVER spoken of in relation to future ruling. They are always spoken of in terms of learning and witnessing (both of which are the essence of being a disciple).

Take care

• insearchoftruth4
    insearchoftruth4

Thanks Bobcat. At 1 John 2:1 Jesus is refered to as a helper, paraclete. An actual person. The word He throughout these verses is unique. Could he be referring to The Prophet at John 1:21. ........Peace

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

The questioning and response of John the baptizer in John 1:19-21 provides an interesting look at how the Jews saw things.

First, John confesses he is not the Christ. (v.20, presumably they asked him.) They then ask if he was "Elijah." After denying that, they ask if he was "the Prophet." (v.21) Their questions reveal that they thought "Christ," "Elijah," and "the Prophet" were seperate individuals. Some commentators see a certain progression in the Jews questioning, as if they were moving 'down the ranks,' so to speak.

Acts 3:19-26 applies the coming "Prophet" (from Deut 18:15) to Jesus. (And Jesus himself applied the coming "Elijah" to John.)

Concerning the "Helper" (Paraclete, Advocate, Comforter, Encourager - all possible translations of a word that is "found in a few places" in Greek outside of the Bible according to BDAG), Jesus refers to the coming Holy Spirit as "another (allos) Helper" in 14:16. I imagine that the presence of this 'other Helper,' as a substitute for Jesus after he left, that this was how Jesus could say that he would be 'with his disciples until the conclusion of the age.' (Mt 28:20)

The close relation of Jesus to his Father, and the substitutionary role of the Holy Spirit probably goes a long way in explaining the almost interchangable way God, Jesus, and Holy Spirit are used in the NT in some places.

(In extra-Biblical Greek, BDAG says that paracletos "has for the most part a more general sense: one who appears in another's behalf, mediator, intercessor, helper. p.766, formatting theirs)

I'm not sure if you are getting into the topic of whether the Holy Spirit is a person or not. So I left that alone. I probably have a unique view of that but I don't want your thread to be dragged into an area that you might not have intended.

Hope this is useful some.

Take Care

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I wonder if the OP is wondering if it could refer to a certain prophet who was born five hundred years later? That is one line of interpretation that is out there in certain circles.

Holy Spirit in greek is pneu'ma and the Holy Spirit was already in operating before and throughout Jesus ministry

The identification of the paraclete with the Holy Spirit is explicit in the text (the term "Spirit of Truth" also appears in Jubilees, the Dead Sea Scrolls, and the Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs with reference to the prophetic Spirit that dualistically contrasts with the Spirit of Error).

The Holy Spirit was already operating through the ministry in the synoptics, but John places special prominence to the Spirit's role and function after the death and resurrection of Jesus. The focus is on a post-Easter dispensation of the Spirit, whether at Pentacost (as in Acts) or in Jesus' bestowal of the Spirit to his disciples after the resurrection (as it is in John 20).

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Leolaia: (Greetings)

You have my curiosity up. But your statement is not entirely clear to me. 500 years after Moses predicted the coming "Prophet"? (1446 - 500 = 946?) Or 500 years after Jesus, c.500 AD, Mohammed? (I think I might have answered my own question as I typed this.)

Take Care

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Paraclete in Islam

Many Muslim writers have argued that “another Paraclete” (John 14:16)—the first being Jesus—refers to Muhammad. The earliest scholar is probably Ibn Ishaq (died 767), who was grandson of a Christian. [ 16 ] Others who interpreted the paraclete as a reference to Muhammad include Ibn Taymiyyah, Ibn Kathir, Al-Qurtubi, Rahmatullah Kairanawi (1818-1891), and contemporary Muslim scholars such as Martin Lings. [ 17 ] [ 18 ] A few Muslim commentators, such as David Benjamin Keldani (1928), have argued that the original Greek word used was periklytos, meaning famed, illustrious, or praiseworthy, rendered in Arabic as Ahmad, and that this was substituted by Christians with parakletos. [ 19 ] [ 20 ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraclete

• insearchoftruth4
    insearchoftruth4

Yeah Leolaia, if anyone fits Jesus discription, the biography and the Book that was revealed to this Man is staggering. It blows me away. BTW He is listed #1 on The most influential men in history. Bobcat, Acts 7:37 says that too, but the first few words are missing. A prophet from your own midst. Why aren't they quoted?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit