Can longtime posters on JWN be elitist? Kind of like elders in the hall?

by trujw 58 Replies latest jw experiences

• trujw
    trujw

Just wondering. I feel a little smugness from long time posters. I got out as a kid 20 years ago and since I am a newbie here it feels like we are shown a little less respect.

• trujw
    trujw

Sorry about the first miss-quote

• Satanus
    Satanus

Bow before your betters, worm;) Hehehee.

What happens, when people are here for a long time, is they develop more confidence. That happens through their testing of their ideas in the heat of discussion. Generally, weak and erroneous ideas get pruned. Issues, personal and otherwise get aired to the point where they have less power over their posessors.

Sometimes, though, if they are a-holes to start w, they stay a-holes for yrs. Doesn't make them elite.

S

• trujw
    trujw

Sat I like it!

• trujw
    trujw

I am trying to be there. Hopefully soon. Old timers tell your stories about how you roll your eyes at the newbie new members and what they do wrong. Did I just totally change this topic ?

• Satanus
    Satanus

You'll be fine.

S

• trujw
    trujw

I love to challenge my mind. I want it all. When ashiest and god believers argue I love it. Freedom fresh thought. Please get me thinking. What came first the chicken or the egg. I think about the yoke. My back ground compels me to stretch my mind to a level I have never thought about and say hmmmm. So many people here are so bright yet we share a common background. I am truly humbled.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Oi...I thought you said you didn't take yourself seriously.....

Welcome to the forum trujw...you'll fit right in. Just give it a bit of time to find your feet. I for one look forward to hearing more from you. You made me laugh already...

• trujw
    trujw

OK still thinking, A priest, JW and a Buddhist walk into a bar oh better save it for a personal PM for you

• sizemik
    sizemik

Hehe . . . I remember feeling the same way . . . even started a thread about it.

It does feel that way . . . but as Satanus said . . . it's a familiarity/confidence thing. Also, folks will warm up as they get to know you better. An open mind will be an asset . . . but don't be afraid to say what you think . . . and don't take some folks too seriously. Good to have you here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit