Make a Wish revokes a childs wish....Please Read!!

by wonderwoman77 31 Replies latest jw friends

• JT
    JT

flower says:

the way the adults in his life are handling it is going to be the thing that determines how HE handles it. if you are going to make a big huge deal out of it and act like its the worst travesty in the history of man and that his life will never be the same because he was done wrong by someone then what message are you guys sending him?

disappointments happen in life hon. thats life! if this is how you teach him to react every time he is disappointed in life or everytime someone screws up and he doesnt get his way hes going to grow up a spoiled and ignorant person.

i dont say this to mean i dont understand yours and his disappointment..i really do. i think it was wrong for them to take away the trip. but its a trip to disneyworld hon..not a bone marrow transplant or a new heart

########

my thoughts exactly, it's not the issue of did they shaft him, we all agree they Shafted him

at this point in my view it is How will the family handle it, and like flower said IT AIN'T LIKE THEY PROMISE HIM A BONE MARROW TRANSPLANT AND Now is backing out.

so they ain't going to let him see the Mouse for Free- help the kid to see the lesson that he can learn such as the need to keep promises and if you teach him that lesson for the rest of his life he will grow up to be man who understands the need to keep promises to his kids, wife and friends

he will be able to relate how he got the shaft from someone who didn't keep theirs

often times it is as kids that we learn our most valuable lesson

i think about myself, when it came to how to treat Single parents and fatherless boys in the hall-

i grew up getting the shaft, no dad in THE TRUTH, my mom got the shaft, was made to work out in service with her little 4 black kids by herself and i promised myself i would never treat a "Single" parent or thier kids that way

and when i became an elder i made sure that NO SISTER HAD TO work with all her kids- i would often take 2 of them with me , just to give the sister a break, cause i saw how my mom was dogged-

so my point is- you guys can take this opportunity and teach the little guy something, or you can lay the ground work for him that will not benifit him or his future family and friends

IT IS UP TO YOU ALL IN THAT HOUSEHOLD

it's your CALL

just my 2

james

• flower
    flower
    I take back nothing I've said. How DO you tell a little boy that has received a letter from Mickey Mouse welcoming him that his erstwhile friend has revoked the invitation and turned his back on him?? How do you do that??

stephanus, because he recieved a letter from MIckey Mouse?? Thats what makes this such a travesty of justice?? I hate to break your fairy tale but Mickey Mouse is NOT REAL. Neither is Santa Clause. So sorry to be the one to break it to you.

That little boy knows that Mickey is not real and didnt write any letter. And even if he didnt kids are told every year that if they are good boys and girls that they'll get everything they sit on santas lap and ask for. There's no big travesty involved when they dont get it. Parents are always telling them Santa couldnt bring it this time cause he was probably so busy with all the little orphans and dying children.

If hes still believing in Mickey Mouse then tell him that Mickey knew you would understand if he gave your wish to a little boy who is going to die soon.

I just dont see this as more than a disappointment in a childs life. I cant understand how you could say those things to reckless even after knowing that he lost a child who never got to have his wish.

flower

• sf
    sf

"If hes still believing in Mickey Mouse then tell him that Mickey knew you would understand if he gave your wish to a little boy who is going to die soon."

Exactly. Simple and understandable to any child.

Why complicate this child's life now with legalities?

Cease the moments and cherish them.

sKally

• wonderwoman77
    wonderwoman77

Well apparently many people do not agree with all of you. I emailed our local news and their action committee and they are planning on doing something for him. I understand he is terminally ill, but this little boy was promised something. And it was not just to see mickey mouse, his wish was the meet buzz lightyear, his hero. His family spends all there money on medical bills because they cannot get good insurance because of his condition, they could never afford to give him this. His mom teaches him that he should fight for what he believes in. I think that is great. I beleive since this organization made the mistake, they should fix it and I am going to fight for it.

Yes Flower I know disappointments happen in life. I think this little boy knows disappointments. He cannot play sports with his friends because he does not have the endurance. He works so hard just to be able to write his homework, he does not need to be told about disappointments, I think he understands that. He told his mom he understood there were children that had things worse than him, but he wants to know why they can promise you something and take it away. He feels like he has been lied to, and he has. Also, maybe you did not read, but the make a wish foundation has granted wishes for children that are not necessarily terminally ill. Do not get me wrong, I think this is a great foundation and does so many good things, but they also need to fix there mistakes....

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Hi Kismet

This happened several years ago and they were under investagation for quite awhile after that. It is very possible they cleaned there act up and are notdoing stuff like that anymore. It is hard though to trust some of these orig's after they've been under fire.
    There was another charity (Children's) that was also under investagation about 5 or 6 years ago that had a similar title but I can't remember the exact name. Since then I think the FED are making it harder for people to take advantage of people especially when the people are kid's.
    It's not a bad idea to really check them out though.

I have a difficult time anymore when it comes to who and where i donate. For awhile I wouldn't even send the Rainbow shelter any cash. I would take boxes of groceries and toy's and clothes right to the shelter instead so i knew the kids and the women would benifit. I not that bad anymore though. Thank God.

plm

"I look to the sea, reflections in the waves spark my memory
    Some happy,some sad"
    styx

This one most definitely Happy
  • wonderwoman77
    wonderwoman77

I talked to the news station and gave them my cousins information. They contacted her and they were going to drive up there and do the story today, but she wanted to wait and make sure that the doctor had not got anything worked out. But if the doctor cannot resolve it, then she is going to do a story on it on monday....:)

• LB
    LB

Well a couple of different things can come out of this story I suppose. One is that the foundation will back down and then your cousin will get to go, that of course means a child that is dying won't get to go. Another is that your neighbors may take up a collection so your cousin can go anyway. The third is that like many stories, lots of smoke will blow around and when it clears, everything is the same.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

WonderWoman,

Only you and the child's family can truly determine what is in his best interests. I hope you know that what JT, flower and others have said was meant in his best interests also.

I don't know if this was already mentioned, but you might suggest to the child's Doctor that he get in touch with Disney directly and explain the situation. Who knows, they may offer to make amends themselves.

IW

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Hello All,

I am going to chime in here. I had an encounter with the Make a Wish organization almost 10 years ago when my daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia.

A few months after the diagnoses, I contacted Make a Wish regarding a wish being granted for my daughter. I was asked what illness she had. I replied with type of Leukemia she have diagnosed with. The gentleman on the other end of the phone line informed me that the survival rate on that type of Leukemia was relatively high, so my daughter WOULD NOT "qualify" for a wish, i.e. not terminal. However, at that point, I had no idea if she was going to survive or not. With Cancer, it can literally be day to day. His business-like manner on the phone took me back a bit.

Later, I spoke to one of the hospital personnel that was involved with treating my daughter and she informed me that Make a Wish is really only interested in kids with illness and wishes that can get them lots of publicity. Hence, kids with terminal illness that have wishes that will get them on the evening news or in the newspaper.

Luckily, there are other organizations that also grant wishes that do not have such a criteria. The one that was used by the hospital that treated my daughter only cared about whether or not she was ill. Being terminal was not a prerequisite to get a wish granted.

Another thing that is bad about the "terminal" requirement is that older kids, especially teenagers, are not in the dark about their illnesses. Getting a wish granted by Make A Wish would mean they are toast.

YES! I am grateful my kid was not terminal, however, I find Make A Wishes tactics and behavior absolutely disgusting!

Andee
    Formerly GoldDustWoman

• wonderwoman77
    wonderwoman77

Hello all. I would like to say to you who keep saying if my cousin gets to go, a terminally ill child will not get his wish granted, but what I want to say is, they said my cousin could go, they said we will grant your wish and they did this without having a copy of his chart, just a paper from the doctor, so other kids with more severe illness are getting there wishes granted if they grant them this easily. The principle is they told him he could go. They had hotel reservations and the flight numbers they were on etc. And now that is being taken away from my cousin. I understand other kids may be worse off then him, but that is not the principal I am trying to fight.

Anyway, they are making progress to investigate and most likely either make a wish will send him or the doctor and the board where he works is going to make a story out of it and do a fund raiser and raise the money for him to go at least for a few days.

Beautiful Garbage--I am sorry about what happened to you. My cousin was not the one to nominate her son for the wish, someone else did and the doctor filed out the info and they granted it and now they are taking it away. My cousin said if they would have denied his wish in the first place she would have totally understood, but she did not even know about the terminally ill requirement, because she knew nothing of the organization until someone nominated her son. She just believes as I do, if you promise someone something , you should follow through.

IW---yes there is a possibility of contacting disney directly, that will be the next step.

I know that some of you have not meant to be hurtful when saying that you believe we should just teach the child a lesson from this and go on, but please do not put down my decision to help pursue this. I have seen the disappointments in the boys life and for once he needs something more than that. Yes he is thankful that he will not die, but I still believe if you promise it, you should do it and think by at leasting fighting for him I show my commitment to that belief and my commitment to him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit