Make a Wish revokes a childs wish....Please Read!!

by wonderwoman77 31 Replies latest jw friends

• wonderwoman77
    wonderwoman77

Hello all. I am very distraught tonight. I think I told the board back around the new year that the make a wish foundation was going to grant my 7 year old cousins wish that has cerebral palsy. He has been so excited, he was going to leave april 15th. Well they called and told his family that he was no longer able to go over some paperwork thing. He had even gotten a card from mickey mouse saying he could not wait to meet my cousin, and now he cannot go. His doctor sent in a form saying he had cerebral palsy but was not terminally ill. They granted his wish and sent one last form to the doctor, and the doctor sent it in with the same information. They now say he cannot go because he is not terminally ill, but when they said he coudl go, they knew this information. Someone in their organization messed up and my cousin has to pay. His doctor is upset and is trying to advocate for him. I have been sending emails to make a wish and to other local places to see if something can be done to help him still get his wish. He told his mom when he found out " Don't they know about the pain in my legs and fingers, don't they respect what I have been through?" Poor child.....

If you can think of anyway else I can advocate for him, please respond or email me. This is awful. I know this is usually a good organization, but this is wrong and someone needs to do something...

• rekless
    rekless

Hi WW77,
    I would first like to say I am sorry for your little cousin and the pain and heart ach he has gone through.

I having been with a son with leaukemia realize how this organization works.

They have a budget and it is set aside for terminally ill children.
    If any protest you igniciate goes unansewered you may just have to tell your cousin that the organization was set up to make a dream come true for children that are going to die.

My son died before he could ever realize his wish. Let your cousin realize that he is fortunate in that he may have pain but he is alive and in the future he may be able to see the realization of his dream at a later date.

The trip he was to take you may explain to him that he is truly a special person because he let some child take his trip that won't be alive later on.

I know it is a heart break for a young child, but he must realize also that his illness will at lease give him a longer life span.

LIfe isn't fair even to those are ill.

I hope you don't feel that I am an ass hole and not taking your side on this error, but terminal illness does rank higher on the priority list.

Hell is truth seen too late. H.G.Adams

• wonderwoman77
    wonderwoman77

I do not disagree that he is lucky he is not terminally ill, but that is not the principal here. The make a wish foundation knew from his first paperwork that he was not terminally ill, and they said they would grant his wish anyway. They promised him the wish with this knowledge. That is the principle. You cannot promise a child something and take it away from him. If they knew he was not terminally ill and planned on not helping him for this reason, they should have never promised to grant his wish in the first place. The fact is, they knew his status and approved his wish and they are now taking it away. And that is wrong....

• rekless
    rekless

I'm sorry.There is not any thing else I can say. Some times a child must realize that they have shoes where others do not have feet.

I can list you two hands full of diappointments that my son went through before he died, at lease maybe your cousin will become more compassionate to others who are more ill than he. This may be a hard situation to swallow, but he will be a better person in the long run.

Then again, Do the American thing...sue.

• wonderwoman77
    wonderwoman77

My cousin told him that he was lucky to not be dieing and he realizes that. he is a very compassionate kid. The thing is, he is 7, and he cannot fully understand things like an adult. I am sorry your son had to endure so much. But this is a different situation. He was promised something and because so idiot at the wish foundation filed paperwork wrong he can no longer get his wish granted, it is absurd. They should realize it was their mistake and they have to fix it by keeping there promise. This is just teaching this little boy he can not trust anything in this world. Again I am sorry for the hardships you had with you son...but I think it is clouding this and you are not able to see this situation as different. I hope you can one day heal from you pain....

• rekless
    rekless

WW77,
    Look I really feel sorry for your cousin, I would be crying with you if I was with you...I am the most tender hearted person you will ever meet, I have worked in non-profit organizations and I know they have to abide by their grants, if not they cvan be brought up before the District Attorney for misappropreation of funds. They had a dummy that sponcered your cousin and then after the final paper work came trough they realized he did not qualify.

I know he is heart broken and I wish he could go, and if I was wealthy I would send him, but I'm not, but my heart goes out to him.

The family may just have to anti up and make his dream or wish come true if it is that important.
    There are cheap rooms that can be rented, everybody anti up $10 $20 bucks from every family member could possibly solve the problem.

Sometimes the ones who really need the help falls through the cracks.
    My heart goes uot to you and your family.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    They had a dummy that sponcered your cousin and then after the final paper work came trough they realized he did not qualify.

Fine, then sue them for hiring a dummy! I have no sympathy for any group which plays with the emotions of a sick child, and I've had one of my own die. Surely the DA's office could make an exception when extenuating circumstances are shown. Or are you by-the-book, even in the face of real human need and compassion, Rekless, kinda like when you were a Dub? Did you ever really leave??

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

((((((((((((rekless)))))))))))

• Kismet
    Kismet

I have done a lot of work for a similar charity (Childrens' Wish Foundation) and that holds much the same mandate. I can understand your point but also can appreciate why they cannot provide the trip in this case.

You are right in that a mistake was made. They should never have accepted your request since it does not fall under their mandate. This organization and all those who donate towards it state that it is for wishes of terminally ill children.

Not only could they lose their status if they provided this trip but it would then be depriving a child who is dying his last wish. While I understand your compassion for your family member let it not blur the fact that by going against their mandate and giving your family the request, a dying child will not get his/hers. Yet that charity was designed for the child that is going to be deprived.

The trip should never have been promised. A mistake was made but should a dying child be the one that is forced to pay for that mistake? Yes the budgeets are that tight and many terminally ill children cannot get thier wish due to limited funds.

I am sorry that he is so sick but am extremely gratified that it is not terminal.

Are there any charities in your area that are designed for sick kids not necessarily terminal? Perhaps even the Red Cross could direct you to a charity that could do something that makes up for the disappointment.

Kismet

PS- Stephanus - speaking of heartless comments and dublike atitudes (judgmental) I take umbrage to your words to Rekless. You might want to re-read the thread and show a little empathy for what Rekless might be experiencing talking about this subject before you start with the insults and attacks. {{{Rekless}}}

edited for typos

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

I take back nothing I've said. How DO you tell a little boy that has received a letter from Mickey Mouse welcoming him that his erstwhile friend has revoked the invitation and turned his back on him?? How do you do that?? The family obviously isn't in the position to take him themselves, or they wouldn't have applied to a charity for help! Are you all that heartless and braindead that you can't see the anguish and heartache in all this??? I repeat, did you ever really leave the Borg?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit