Make a Wish revokes a childs wish....Please Read!!

by wonderwoman77 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Kismet
    Kismet

I would rather tell Wonder's cousin that he cannot go than to tell the dying child that only has three weeks to live that due to a clerical error he cannot have his wish. Enjoy the last three weeks of your life.

While difficult, I think it is a better option that someone with only a few weeks to live get higher priority than a child who despite his great suffering and pain endured will live long enough to see his wish later on in life.

Let's be realistic, this is a charity for kids. It takes unique caring people to get involved in that kind of operation. Do you really think they are intentionally jerking around this child. I am confident they are torn up over it.

But it is even harder telling family after family that they cannot get a wish due to budget constraints.

As I said I would rather disappoint a child with a life ahead of him than a dying kid. I would prefer not to disappoint either actually but if left to making a choice between the two..the dying kid wins IMO.

Kismet

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Hi wonderwoman77

The law of offer and acceptance is being questioned. I would have thought that your young cousin (bless his sox) made the 'make a wish foundation' an offer...and they hereby accepted!! End of story!!

Contractual law is complicated...yet this seems rather simple to me. The foundation stuffed up. Yes they do have an obligation to the terminally ill child...but they also have an obligation to act honourably when they make mistakes. There also appears to be a breach of a promise...my advice...see a lawyer...someone that does this sort of thing for publicity and not for money...so that it doesn't cost you anything.

Your little cousin might not be terminally ill...but there is no need for them to discard him like an old newspaper I don't think the issue is whether he is going to live with a disability or die at a tender age. That is SO not the point. The issue is, is it ethical for the foundation to officially grant him acceptance, and then at a later date say 'whoopsie' no can do? If mistakes are acceptable then why are doctors being sued for malpractice?

The foundation breached an agreement between themselves and your cousin...it does not have to be written...it can be oral (Australian law here)...you might want to look into that. But they are liable...and I would be seeking compensation!

Here is a little story that I thought you might find interesting...its all about ethics. Recently I went to New Zealand to attend my father's funeral. While there, we bought some coke...inside the cap is a blue seal...which my daughter and step daughter like to use to make these hideous bracelets out of. I have scolded them for picking up these seals from bottles discarded in the street...so I make an effort to keep them when I can remember. While in NZ...I kept these seals. I came back to Australia a week later and went to present these seals to my girls. Before I handed them over, I noticed an H crest on one of them. I then investigated and realised it was a prize in a Harry Potter competition...the prize was a trip to the UK for a family of 4. All you had to do was send the H crest into the coke promotion company by a certain date...this competition was being run in New Zealand and Australia...same competition...same prize...same winning seals etc...how lucky was I??? I quickly sent in the token....and was relieved to receive a call from them saying that they had received my H crest seal and would get back to me with details of the prize. We were so excited...and my step daughter who has never been on a plane started to organise her passport etc.

A week after the competition ended...I received a call from Coke...they said we had been disqualified. They told me that the H crest seal was NOT from their competition...they had secret markings...and mine indicated that it came from a bottle in NZ. The competition in NZ ended at the same time...we were too late to claim the correct prize. My heart sank...I said out loud...how am I going to tell the kids??? The coke promotion company explained that they could understand how we felt...and they offered us a consolation prize. By this time my disappointment had turned to bitterness...and I sat there with this scowl thinking 'oh great...movie tickets...what we always wanted'. The lady then said 'no...we would like to offer you the Harry Potter DVD movie...u will be one of the first in Australia to receive one'....I sniggered...as I thought about all the pirated copies being sold at the local markets. She then said...'plus, we'd like to offer you a Sony DVD player'...I thought...'cool'....'plus...a Sony Television'... by this time I was beginning to smile...'plus a small portable fridge (yes fridge)...full of coke and Harry Potter chocolates...plus...all the Harry Potter books'.

I was very pleased with the consolation prize...and so are the kids...and yet coke didn't stuff up..."I DID"!!

Just a little story about ethics.

Beck

ps..I must mention that during the conversation I had with the coke lady...she reinforced these words "DO YOU ACCEPT OUR OFFER"...she said it more then twice...which suggests to me that they were recording the conversation. They were protecting themselves in case I wanted to change my mind and sue their sorry asses But I didnt...the trip would be over now...but I still have my DVD, TV, Fridge and books! (but no movie passes)

• wonderwoman77
    wonderwoman77

Reckless---I am sorry if I misundestood you.

There is another issue I did not mention in my first post. They have a telethon on a local radio station and in 24 they try and grant 10 wishes. Well the last wish they granted last year was for a girl that was 17, she had been in remission for 5 years and the doctors say she should live a healthy rest of her life, yet she got to got her wish. She was not going to die before 18, and they granted her wish, how is that different from granting my cousins wish. It is not. They have granted wishes of kids that are not exactly terminally ill. I have already contacted local places and I will go farther if I have to...

• Shimmer
    Shimmer

wonderwoman,

Have you thought about contacting the media? In the city that we live in there is a "call to action" number. Or you could go bigger and contact 20/20 or dateline or something like that. Sometimes doing that gets results.

Shimmer

Maybe being oneself is alway an acquired taste.-----PATRICIA HAMPL

• Kismet
    Kismet

Well with that extra piece of information I can see your point more clearly.

Since they have made exceptions in the past that adds more weight to your position. I wish you well on your quest on behalf of your nephew.

Kismet

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I didn't read thru all the posts I just wanted to say I new another little boy this happend to several years ago.
    What I learned about the "Make a wish" people since that made me sick.
    They make millions on contrabutions and in return for the sake of reputation grant a few wishes. It's awful.

plm

"I look to the sea, reflections in the waves spark my memory
    Some happy,some sad"
    styx

This one most definitely Happy
  • outnfree
    outnfree

I have to hug both ((((((rekless))))))) and (((((((Stephanus))))))) -- losing a child has to be the hardest loss in the world!

Meanwhile, WW, you have mail.

outnfree

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts -- John Wooden

• Kismet
    Kismet

Plmkrzy:

I have been doing various fundraising activities for the Childrens' Wish Foundation for about 5 years and sincerely hope they are not doing any such thing as you describe. I have seen no evidence and I have seen the books for my local chapter. Money in, less minimal administration fees (about 5-8% of the money) and then all moeny left goes into providing Wishes.

I would be interested in hearing more about what you found so I can investigate my chapter mpore thoroughly. I don't want to hijack this thread tho, so please email me the details if you so desire.

Thanks.

Kismet ( [email protected])

• JT
    JT

WONDERWOMAN SAYS:

"This is just teaching this little boy he can not trust "ANYTHING" in this world".

@@@@@@@@

NOT TO Sound like i'm dogging you but in my OPINION the above will depend on how your family handles it.
    If that is the lesson you want him to learn then it will be, but if you want to let him know that actually it is a part of life,

i think you are making a trip to see Mickey into something that it is not

if you think he will suffer long term emotionally harm from not seeing the Mouse, i have to wonder what the Heck is going on in your all home

while i agree they did Shaft the little guy, but to raise it to the level of HIS LIFE IS NOW JUST DESTOYED, WELL i don't know.

just my thought

• flower
    flower

i totally agree with you JT and with Reckless. its a shame that they screwed up and arent letting him go but geez its something that he should be able to get over and learn a lesson about life from.

the way the adults in his life are handling it is going to be the thing that determines how HE handles it. if you are going to make a big huge deal out of it and act like its the worst travesty in the history of man and that his life will never be the same because he was done wrong by someone then what message are you guys sending him?

disappointments happen in life hon. thats life! if this is how you teach him to react every time he is disappointed in life or everytime someone screws up and he doesnt get his way hes going to grow up a spoiled and ignorant person.

i dont say this to mean i dont understand yours and his disappointment..i really do. i think it was wrong for them to take away the trip. but its a trip to disneyworld hon..not a bone marrow transplant or a new heart. think about it before you dedicate your life to getting revenge.

i'm sorry that your cousin has to deal with this awful disease.

flower

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit