Your explanation for a total contradiction in the New World Translation.

by Johnny Brown 62 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Johnny Brown
    Johnny Brown

Apples werent mentioned in that post either but that does not mean they don't exist. ;)

Whoever puts faith in me, just as the scripture has said: ‘From deep within him streams of living water will flow.’”+ 39  However, he said this concerning the spirit, which those who put faith in him were about to receive; for as yet there was no spirit,+ because Jesus had not yet been glorified.

• cofty
    cofty

Jan I appreciate your honesty.

If it impossible to explain something as fundamental to your faith as the nature of god, in your own simple words then something is seriously wrong.

The trinity is utter drivel. It is an esoteric form of words that was imposed on the church. Without a knowledge of the Greek terms like homoousios, and hypostasis it can't even be stated. Even Greek speaking theologians couldn't agree on the meaning of these terms.

You cannot have worship of Jesus and monotheism. Trinitarians want to have their cake and eat it. 

Johnny - Posting the same nonsense 4 times over 10 hours with no explanation is not how we do conversation.

• Johnny Brown
    Johnny Brown
    i only posted once, or so i thought.. the site was taking 30 minutes to process the one post and I refreshed it a few times... OMG end of the world... the programming for this forum software should at least check for duplicate posts before posting them.. that would be a pretty simple SQL query.
  • WheninDoubt
    WheninDoubt

In regards to Jhine comments:

You should really pick better scholars, since YHWH never lies.

YHWH AND THE SILVER SCROLLS

Ketef Hinnom Amulet I (left/top) and Ketef Hinnom Amulet II (right/bottom). When the amulets were unrolled,

scholars were amazed to learn that they were inscribed with an abridged version of the priestly benediction

of Numbers 6:24–26—the oldest portion of Scripture ever found.

Excavations in Jerusalem in 1979–80 by Gabriel Barkay turned up two amulets dating from the late seventh

century BC.1 They were found in the fourth of several burial caves he discovered on an escarpment known

as Ketef Hinnom, which overlooks the Hinnom Valley (Gehenna) just opposite Mt. Zion. Each amulet

contained a rolled-up sheet of silver which, when unrolled, revealed the Priestly Benediction inscribed on

them. The exact Hebrew words (translated into English) are:

May Yahweh bless you and keep you;

May Yahweh cause his face to

Shine upon you and grant you

Peace (Coogan 1995: 45)

It is also the oldest extra-Biblical reference to YHWH, the God of Israel

Commented the late archaeologist Kathleen Kenyon:

This is now the earliest occurrence of a Biblical text in an extra-Biblical document, significantly predating

the earliest of the Dead Sea Scrolls. It is also the oldest extra-Biblical reference to YHWH, the God of Israel

(1987: 124; cf. King and Stager 2001: 306).

• WheninDoubt
    WheninDoubt

An update to my earlier comment:   As stated before the fallacy is within your forefathers that refused to make the distention between LORD and GOD in the New Testament. So Religions that transfer the original word or meaning to properly make those distentions are not wrong. However that’s why God gave us all free will to decide or make a choice between good and evil, from right or wrong, from the truth to a lie.                               

Full Definition of KYRIOS

lord <early Christians confessed Jesus Christ as their instead of the emperor>

Variants of KYRIOS

Ky·ri·os also Ku·ri·os

Origin of KYRIOS

Greek kyrios lord, master, from kyros power, might

Kyrios appears about 740 times in the New Testament, usually referring to Jesus. The use of kyrios in the New Testament has been the subject of debate among modern scholars, and three schools of thought exist on that topic. The first is that based on the Septuagint usage, the designation is intended to assign to Jesus the Old Testament attributes of God. The reasoning here being, that at the time the Septuagint was written, when reading out loud, Jews pronounced Adonai, the Hebrew word for "Lord", when they encountered the name of God, "YHWH", which was thus translated into Greek in each instance as kyrios. And the early Christians, the majority of whom were speakers of Greek, would have been deeply familiar with the Septuagint. The second is that as the early Church expanded, Hellenistic influences resulted in the use of the term. The third is that it is a translation of the Aramaic title Mari applied to Jesus.

• Johnny Brown
    Johnny Brown

The NWT says that I should put my faith in Jesus Christ, does that not infer that he is a God by implying that "faith" should be placed in "him".

Whoever puts faith in me, just as the scripture has said: ‘From deep within him streams of living water will flow.’”+ 39  However, he said this concerning the spirit, which those who put faith in him were about to receive; for as yet there was no spirit,+ because Jesus had not yet been glorified.

• cofty
    cofty

Johnny - That is a simplistic argument. Having faith in Jesus could simply mean having faith that he is the Messiah.

Did you read the article I linked that describes the differences in the Christology of Jesus and the early church?

Here it is..

My challenge still remains unanswered. Please explain the trinity succinctly IN YOUR OWN WORDS without contradicting yourself and being careful to avoid heresies.

• jhine
    jhine

Whenindoubt , I said that the Tetrgrammaton was not in the earliest New Testament scrolls ever found . I did not say that YHWH was never found ,just not in any New Testament documents .

Jan 

• SanLuisObispoTruthSeeker
    SanLuisObispoTruthSeeker

The New World Translation and The New-New-World-Translation are both piles of trash,they are dishonest translations and the reason nobody knows who wrote them is to fight off the charges the NWT is not credible.

We were raised to sing praises about the NWT and fight against 'paraphrased translations like the NIV' only to have the Watchtower create a Paraphrased Version, what a bunch of buffoons!

• jhine
    jhine

When in doubt

The Watchtower itself admits this in the forward of the original NWTIn 1950 . Page 10 

" One of the remarkable facts , not only about the extant manuscripts of the ORIGINAL text , but in many versions, ancient and modern is the ABSENCE of the divine name "              capitols mine

They then give a non logical argument citing YHWH in the OT for their decision to put Jehovah instead of Kyrios .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit