Your explanation for a total contradiction in the New World Translation.

by Johnny Brown 62 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Johnny Brown
    Johnny Brown

"For if you publicly declare with your mouth that Jesus is Lord,+ and exercise faith in your heart that God raised him up from the dead, you will be saved. 10  For with the heart one exercises faith for righteousness, but with the mouth one makes public declaration+ for salvation. 11  For the scripture says: “No one who rests his faith on him will be disappointed.”+ 12  For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek.+ There is the same Lord over all, who is rich* toward all those calling on him. 13  For “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah* will be saved.”

The following verse is copy pasted from the NWT. I do not belong to any religion, I am simply a seeker of truth studying the differences between the JW and Christian doctrine.

This verse basicly says in a nutshell from the JW bible that Jesus' name is the same as God. An apple and an orange are both fruit for example. Putting the word "Jehovah" in that verse when the context is clearly referring to Jesus Christ.

The KJV "King James Version" however does not contradict itself:

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."

If you are going to change the bible, you should at least make it make sense people.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Welcome to the forum!

Most of us here are either ex-JWs or current JWs who aren't buying it anymore for a variety of reasons. Just so you are aware of your audience.

Now, on to your question. The anonymous NWT translation committee decided to "restore" God's personal name in the Bible, including 237 times in the NT where THEY believe it should be. Part of their reasoning is that if something is quoted from the OT (as is the case of Romans 10:13... it quotes Joel 2:32) and the OT verse has God's name (represented by the Tetragrammaton, which most other translations translate as LORD in all caps) then they would use it in the NT verse. Unfortunately, this rule is violated quite often for verses in the NT that are NOT quotes from the OT. They have a habit of translating the Greek word Kyrios into Jehovah instead of Lord.

If you have any interest in this, there is an analysis done around this that makes for an interesting read:

http://tetragrammaton.org/divname.html

• Johnny Brown
    Johnny Brown

Ok I see, however, wouldn't this purposeful mistake prove the JW doctrine false? I'm not trying to prove it false, but you can't escape this verse, which clearly refers to Christ as being God. And they placed that there to belittle Christ. Even though they changed it, you can still understand what it is saying.Which is actually pretty amazing but makes me feel sad for people who read and believe the NWT bible. 

Is it true that JW's put limitations on God, saying that he is not "everywhere" infinitely present? I have personally witnessed in real life, that God is in fact present everywhere, at all time, even for people who are the least deserving. I did not "see" God or Gods' avatar, but I did have a vision that saved my life in a 150Mph car wreck. The vision I had was a "distortion of reality" that was impossible because the "wall" I "hallucinated" was beyond my vision, meaning I could not possibly see it, but I did. God saved my life, and I can tell you with certainty that I was the least deserving of divine intervention, I was also an atheist. I believe in God not because I was faithful but because I witnessed Gods' power. God doesn't even need to change reality to change the world, God can manipulate your mind to change outcomes by giving you a vision or changing your perception of reality.

For now, I am studying the Christian religion and will let God lead me on the path God has set. I am thankful to be alive and will repay God however I can. Where ever I can and when I feel God pulling my strings.

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

that new gray bible is so messed up i cant stand reading it. inserting all sorts of words where they dont belong, changing sentences and words . its to form a works based doctrine and to deny the importance of Jesus.

ever read a wt article and underline how many times the name Jehovah is in the article? its outright annoying.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

I concur with what Leaving_quietly said. I thought a few additional thoughts might be in order. As to their translation “Jehovah,” many comments have been made and many books and articles written. Here the Committee became stuck in the time warp of the early twenties when the name “Jehovah” was popular. In the mean time this name has gone out of vogue to be replaced by “Yahweh.”

What might assist you in your studies, is taking note of the style of NT writers. In this case, Paul quotes from a variety of verses in the OT. Verse 11 is a quote from Isaiah 28:16 (LXX → Greek Septuagint), which points to the Messiah. As has been pointed out, verse 13 is a quote from Joel (2:32 LXX), indicating YHWH. However, in our current copies of the LXX “lord” is used and not the Tetragrammaton.

If only the Committee stuck to their guns to only replace “lord” with the Tetragrammaton (= YHWH) at those places which are indicated as OT quotations. Unfortunately they decided to replace it in some instances where it is clearly not referring to the Tetragrammaton, e.g., the Lord’s day. Here the NT differentiates between the Lord’s (Jesus’) day, and the Lord’s (YHWH’s) day.

• Johnny Brown
    Johnny Brown

Mabey you are missing the point. No matter if it says Jesus/YHWH/Lord/God/Yahweh, the verse clearly claims/says that Jesus Christ and God are the same thing. Whether you replace Lord with Jehovah or not, it does not change the context of the previous verse:

Exhibit A:

"For if you publicly declare with your mouth that Jesus is Lord"

Exhibit B:

"
    For the scripture says: “No one who rests his faith on him will be disappointed.”+ 12  For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek"

This verse is referring to Jesus Christ, stating that faith in christ is the same as faith in God the father. In essence it is saying they equal and the same.Does this not represent what Jehovah's witnesses claim to not believe in, the Trinity doctrine?

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

to the brain dead JWombie what you are saying nonsense and apostate. the don't have the ability to see the false translations you point out....Just like you always hear at the meeting that jehovah is going to judge us. where it clearly states in John 5:25 - 30

Most truly I say to YOU, The hour is coming, and it is now, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who have given heed will live. 26 For just as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted also to the Son to have life in himself. 27 And he has given him authority to do judging, because Son of man he is. 28 Do not marvel at this, because the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice 29 and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment. 30 I cannot do a single thing of my own initiative; just as I hear, I judge; and the judgment that I render is righteous, because I seek, not my own will, but the will of him that sent me.

Yet, you always hear at the meetings that jehovah will judge us. These people are blind and dillusional.

It's a cult...the worse mistake of my life was joining. if i could turn back time.

GTTM

• Johnny Brown
    Johnny Brown

What about this verse in the NWT

For just as the Father raises the dead up and makes them alive,+ so the Son also makes alive whomever he wants to.+ 22  For the Father judges no one at all, but he has entrusted all the judging to the Son,+ 23  so that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him.

Does this not prove the trinity? How would a JW defend this as not being a trinity or Jesus being Equal with God from their own bible?

• Johnny Brown
    Johnny Brown

I also have questions about this verse in the NWT:

But Moses said to the true God: “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your forefathers has sent me to you,’ and they say to me, ‘What is his name?’+ What should I say to them?” 14  So God said to Moses: “I Will Become What I Choose* to Become.”*+ And he added: “This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘I Will Become has sent me to you.’

I feel ashamed to even think God is "becoming" something "else". God is infinite, and does not "become" anything in any concept of "changing". God is truth and the truth never "becomes". It is what it is. God is "everlasting". God is Everpower, God is Everpresent but god is not "becoming". This seems like a really bad perversion of other Christian bibles. It feels like im insulting God just thinking about it and belittling Gods infinite power.

• Johnny Brown
    Johnny Brown

Can anyone explain this to me where Jesus says He is God and God is He:?

At that time the Festival of Dedication took place in Jerusalem. It was wintertime, 23  and Jesus was walking in the temple in the colonnade of Sol′o·mon.+ 24  Then the Jews surrounded him and began to say to him: “How long are you going to keep us* in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.” 25  Jesus answered them: “I told you, and yet you do not believe. The works that I am doing in my Father’s name, these bear witness about me.+ 26  But you do not believe, because you are not my sheep.+ 27  My sheep listen to my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.+ 28  I give them everlasting life,+ and they will by no means ever be destroyed, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.+ 29  What my Father has given me is something greater than all other things, and no one can snatch them out of the hand of the Father.+ 30  I and the Father are one.”*+

Basically God the father made him into a God by putting some bondo in between them and making them one unit.. Everywhere Jesus goes, so goes God, Everywhere God goes, so goes Jesus. (Purely a symbolic representation of what the scripture says).

When you prey to Jesus, you prey to your Lord Jesus and Also God the Father. It says it in all the bibles, even the NWT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit