About what one thing do you find yourself being a real SNOB?

by Terry 78 Replies latest jw friends

• tiki
    tiki

Rachmaninov - those wonderfully morose piano concertos by candlelight - weeping of losses.......................

tiffany art glass - art nouveau................

waterford crystal........

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Steak

I don't even like going to a friends house for steak unless I know he knows how to prepare it. I cringe when I hear "I've been marinating these all day!"

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

I used to be a real snob... about everything! But now I realize that people usually have good reasons for their choices. It is not really possible to micro-manage every part of your life- life is too short for that.

• Terry
    Terry

Cobaltcupcake said: Punctuation. Even on text messages. And for pete's sake, don't use letters to represent words!

I must ask you something. Does it disturb you that lexicographers monitor how language is currently being used by a majority of writers so as to

CHANGE the definitions, pronunciation and spelling of words and amend and adjust the Dictionary?

I see the total obliteration of punctuation happening before my eyes because of Text and e-mail society.

Not one writer in a hundred knows how to use a semi-colon!

It all begins with an ambition for clarity. My own personal opinion is that declining vocabulary in younger people leads to an inability to articulate with clarity. Further, the tools for precision in thought and disambiguation erodes, degrades and dwindles. As a direct consequence the punctuation necessary to create clarity become atavistic and extraneous.

What say ye?

• Satanus
    Satanus

On british and some american documentaries, singular nouns are often given plural verbs. An example: 'the team have', instead of 'has'. Seems the powers that be ignore the singular nouns that describe groups and use a verb for the multiple group members, instead.

S

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Whisk(e)y.

• tornapart
    tornapart

Brizzy:- "You say 'erbs', and we say 'herbs'.

Not every English person does.. London cockneys say 'erbs'... LOL

Love the video btw.. Eddie Izzard is great!

• jamesmahon
    jamesmahon

I know you posted this two days ago Cofty but still

Rugby is tedious and lacking in skill.

You need pulling up on that. Although I must admit to liking American football more as I get older which I think is a real chess game. And your eulogising about football made me want to wretch.

To answer the question. My revulsion of 20/20 cricket over test cricket. Now you would have to be a real English snob (or a Yorkshireman) to be like that. Also people who post breaking up each sentence with multiple full stops for dramatic pause. Can someone please tell me which rules of English grammar they are following?

• Glander
    Glander

Hortensia - " I was a yarn snob -- only the finest merino or alpaca -- but now I'm finding I like acrylic too."

My God you sound like my wife. At this time of year has again laid in a small mountain of yarn. She crochets like a machine. Bedspreads, comforters, sweaters, caps, booties, you name it. Everything goes as Christmas presents to kids and grandkids. Last year she had a flare up of an old carpal tunnel problem from it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit