About what one thing do you find yourself being a real SNOB?

by Terry 78 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

We all try to get along. You know, to fit in....to be a part of our own family or group and not be a total nerd or contrarian.

We hold our tongue. We smile and nod.

But, then....there is at least ONE THING we just can't go along with because it is too important.

Why? Because we are a total snob. We KNOW better than the others and we can't keep our mouth shut.

We simply have to stand up, stand out, tell it like it is.

It could be about wine or clothes or movies or novels---doesn't matter what. It IS IMPORTANT to us and we KNOW BETTER than the others.

Rather than just making a list of "stuff I really like" I want you to dig down deep and pick the ONE BIG thing--when the snob inside you pops out.

Define: SNOB

A person who believes that their tastes in a particular area are superior to those of other people

Taste is the key. Not just opinion!

To have taste you have to have extensive knowledge and experience. You have to be discriminating.too, because you can distinguish the tiny important differences that add up to the total experience.

For example: when I ask people generally who their favorite author is and they reply, "Oh, I just love Stephen King!"--I want to barf. I'm a total snob about writing. King does what he does successfully and well, however, he is not one of the top 50 greatest writers by any means.

And so on.....

You see? You'd get a huge argument from me with lots of examples of great writing as opposed to merely "effective" writing.

I'd start talking about Cormac McCarthy, Ray Bradbury, John Steinbeck, etc. and how their words and vision are simple, poetic and evocative in a powerfully emotional way. Blah blah blah:)

Okay, that's the set up.

What is that...subject....that thing which brings out the SNOB in you and why?

• Left in the Cold
    Left in the Cold

Clothing/Shoes. I have tried so hard not to be, but I'm a snob when it comes to that. I've thought about it. I don't know why I feel superior to those who dress cheaply, but I do. I can't stand cheapness when it comes to fashion. I judge. I don't want to, but I do. I'm being honest. It drives me nuts.

Poetry, too. But I believe you said "one thing".

• james_woods
    james_woods

Oysters.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I feel superior to those snobby about wearing fashion labels and who pay stupid money to do so.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

I'm somewhat of a snob about coffee and wine, at least among the people I usually hang out with. That being said, I'm sure REAL SNOBS in both categories would consider me to be among the great unwashed!

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Movies, and entertainment in general. It's one thing to have bad taste in movies. It's quite another to recommend that I waste my time and/or money watching them. I work with a guy who keeps telling me I need to see the movie Zookeeper, with Kevin James. This person is also a big Steven Segal fan. How do I respect such a person?

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

comic books. i hate them with the exception of calvin and hobbes, and the boondocks.

i prefer books. always have, always will.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Three things; all related:

- widescreen over pan-and-scan.

- 1080p over standard def.

- extended over theatrical cut.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Everyone thought I was going to say Ferraris, but I said Oysters.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades
    Ray Bradbury, John Steinbeck

farenheit 451 (i probably spelled that wrong which is ironic because it...) is my favorite book of all time.

you know what's funny about that book? my mother tried to burn it a couple times. well, threatened to at least

never read cormac mccarthy, though i drank up no country for old men, still want to see the road.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit