SHUNNING- Oregonian Article-HUGE!

by messenger 104 Replies latest jw friends

• messenger
    messenger

. http://oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/front_page/101671540232151251.xml
    Shunning in spotlight

03/21/02

WENDY Y. LAWTON

Keith Casarona doesn't pretend to know the mind of Robert Bryant. Why anyone wipes out his family with a shotgun on a Saturday night, then points the 12-gauge under his own chin is beyond the comprehension of this soft-spoken Tigard real estate agent.

Yet Casarona knows -- in intimate and anguishing detail -- the pain Bryant felt in his final years. Both men split with the Jehovah's Witnesses. Bryant was expelled three years ago in California. Casarona chose to leave a Beaverton congregation last fall.

The decision gave Casarona peace and fresh possibilities. But the break was devastating. Casarona said he lost his wife of 27 years and friendships that stretched back three decades. About a fourth of his real estate clients vanished.

"Witnesses are good people, and I bless their path," the 52-year-old said. "But when you leave them, you go into a Never Never land."

The killings in McMinnville last month -- the worst mass murder in recent Oregon history -- cast a spotlight on Jehovah's Witnesses and their practice of "disfellowship." In a Christian sect that proudly protects members from the corrupting influence of outsiders, expulsion is the harshest form of discipline.

There is no official motive for the slayings. Police think Bryant was under emotional strain when he shot his wife, four children and himself. That stress, investigators said, included fallout from his shunning.

Now anti-Witness Web sites are abuzz with accusations. "Who in their right mind would ever want to stay in this horrible, horrible, hateful religion?" one posting reads. Witnesses, too, are talking. But they're saying the church is the scapegoat for an unfathomable act.

Leonard Golaboff, a 46-year-old elder in Oregon City, notes that there is no proof that Bryant's ouster from a congregation outside of Sacramento was directly responsible for the murders and suicide. Like all expelled members, Golaboff said, Bryant could have changed his ways and come back.

"This is all just a tragedy, a travesty, a shock," Golaboff said. "What was going on in this man's mind? I am sure there is a lot that we don't know."

What worries Golaboff and other Witnesses is a link between the trigger of Bryant's shotgun and a 132-year-old faith that deplores violence and cherishes family.

Jehovah's Witnesses are a made-in-America church that boasts 6 million international members. They believe in Armaggedon: The world will end, the wicked will die, and God will create a paradise on Earth for the righteous. The name refers to members' watchful return of Jehovah, or God.

The Bible is their bedrock. Witnesses live their lives in strict accordance to its teachings and follow a rigid moral code. Stealing, drinking, smoking, premarital sex -- all are forbidden.

According to another Bible interpretation, members also must keep separate from a world invisibly controlled by Satan.

They're not supposed to vote, join the military or celebrate holidays aside from the commemoration of Christ's death each spring. Close ties with nonmembers, or the "worldly," are discouraged. The reason is reflected in a standard Witness saying: "Bad associations spoil useful habits."

Protecting the congregation's purity is the point of disfellowship. Members are kicked out before they can harm, or continue to harm, others with conduct or beliefs that contradict the Bible.

Sherwood elder Tom Davis said there is a second purpose: Putting a member back on the proper moral path. Davis said disfellowship -- or even the threat of it -- often forces people to make positive changes in their lives.

"This helps someone realize that they've made a mistake and need to change their ways," Davis said. "And we're not talking about little stuff. This discipline comes from violating the stated laws of God."

According to elders, experts and church materials, here is how disfellowship works: To get kicked out, baptized members must display a pattern of "serious un-Christian conduct," such as molestation, adultery, drinking or lying. Promoting teachings that conflict with the Bible also qualifies.

It isn't clear what Robert Bryant's offense was. Neighbors and friends in California said he began to question Bible teachings and found the Shingle Springs, Calif., congregation too controlling. An elder has declined to discuss specifics, saying Bryant had "turned away" from the faith.

Elders said they try to avoid shunning through Bible counseling. And, if repenting members convince leaders they've changed, they can stay. If they don't, elders call a private, judicial-style meeting and expel them.

The shunned still can attend religious services, officials said, and conduct business with members. But Witnesses are instructed not to socialize with someone who is disfellowshipped.

John Crossley, a professor and director of the school of religion at the University of Southern California, said a similar tradition of excommunication is shared by Catholics, Mormons and the Amish. But the practice is fading.

"It is almost impossible to hold up moral doctrine and force people to conform to it anymore," Crossley said. "It is especially difficult to continue a practice that is as severe as disfellowship."

Witnesses point to lives transformed by shunning. People kick drugs, stop gambling, mend marriages. But critics attack the practice as cruel and destructive.

While families aren't required to split up due to disfellowship, critics and even a few church members said that is often the practical result. Computer sites devoted to attacking Jehovah's Witnesses are loaded with stories of divorce and custody battles and estranged siblings -- as well as depression, drug abuse, bankruptcy and suicide.

Daniel Duron used to be among the angry.

After he left the church in 1984 over a disagreement over blood transfusions, the Hillsboro roofer's world turned upside down. Elders came to his door and told him his two boys were "fatherless." His wife and friends and extended family became strangers. Duron was so shaken he planned to kill himself. The gun store, however, was closed.

Soon Duron started fighting. He divorced and won joint custody of his sons. He picketed a local Kingdom Hall. He joined a support group for ex-Witnesses, where he met his second wife. Looking back, the former elder said the biggest impact of his shunning was the sudden loss of certainty.

"Everything you believed in is gone with this tight-knit church family," Duron said. "The way you look at science, spirituality, the after-life -- it's all different. Eventually, that can be very positive. But it's also scary. I wouldn't wish the experience on anyone."

You can reach Wendy Lawton at 503-294-5019 or by e-mail at [email protected].

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

>Witnesses point to lives transformed by shunning. People kick drugs, stop gambling, mend marriages. But critics attack the practice as cruel and destructive. <

Yes, I guess the Bryant and the Long children won't be doing any of these things for sure.....

RUN WATCHTOWER RUN............

• MavMan
    MavMan

Good article. I think it's balanced in showing both sides of the story.

• joelbear
    joelbear

I think its a well balanced story too.

Much more factual that the Watchtower web site itself. The elders quoted in the article are forthcoming about the fact that it is indeed a severe form of punishment.

People should be aware of these facts before they decide to be actively associated with the Watchtower Society.

I, for my part, can't recall anywhere where Jesus said anything about getting people to change their lives and follow him by ostracizing them and putting them under pressure of social sanction. Seems to me, the change in people's lives was supposed to be a result of their accepting the gift of everlasting life through Jesus Christ. Coercing people to behave seems to grant very limited power to the power of God's holy spirit.

Joel

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

I think it's a very comprehensive article. I enjoyed reading it. It was fair, well written and to the point. I think it explained disfellowshipping in a way that a normal "worldly" person can understand.

I love how ex-witnesses, apostates and just about anyone BUT the witnesses feel comfortable talking about the organization. Don't hide the light under a basket people, but they turtle up time and time and time again. If they have nothing to hide or nothing to misunderstand, then why do they hide so much?

I keep thinking it's 120 years but it's 132 years old already?? Boy, how close we are to the end.

Slipnslidemaster: "Easter so longed for is gone in a day."
    - James Howell

• Will Power
    Will Power

Great Article although this line really bugs me.

"Promoting teachings that conflict with the Bible also qualifies."

Baptizmal vows include "things unique to JWs" meaning over, above, and outside of teachings of the bible.
    These are the things when questioned result in DFment and the apostate label which is their doublethink word for God hater!

This REALLY bugs me, this is what puts them in the cult catagory.

• Simon
    Simon

A good article. The only slightly misleading bit is this:

The shunned still can attend religious services, officials said, and conduct business with members. But Witnesses are instructed not to socialize with someone who is disfellowshipped.

In reality, they will not even speak or look at you which is much harsher.

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

I enjoyed reading the article. I just wish there had been a greater emphasis on the fact that one of reasons for disfellowshipping is that you no longer believe what the witnesses are teaching. So there are times when shunning is undertaken not because someone has done something that is morally wrong, but simply because one ceases to any longer believe that the witnesses have the truth. If you voice that belief you are disfellowshipped and shunned. If you disassociate yourself from the organization you are shunned. However, all in all, it was a great article.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I agree that it is a fairly good article BUT

According to elders, experts and church materials, here is how disfellowship works: To get kicked out, baptized members must display a pattern of "serious un-Christian conduct," such as molestation, . . .
    Seems to me like a set-up to attempt to pre-empt the DATELINE story on JW child abuse. Yes, they'll disfellowship for molestation - if there are TWO or more witnesses (and does forensic evidence count?).

- Nathan Natas, UADNA
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America)

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

I am very very concerned, Nathan, with what I see as very inaccurate reporting of the expulsion/shunning doctrine. I don't know quite what to do about it.

If the press is AFRAID of the Watchtower and won't report the truth about this issue, what remedy is there? The Watchtower is a huge corporation and a force to be reckoned with I guess. I'm hearing horror stories of the full contents of interviews not being made public; only the mildest and least controversial issues being let out.

Let this be a lesson for you France, Bulgaria and Russia....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit