A spin off of the athiest thread

by trujw 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sizemik
    sizemik
    - that worship is part of a human concept whereas the idea of there being an unnameable unknown type of spirit releases us from what is we already know to move towards what we don't know.

I'm not sure I fully get that . . . but why only go some of the way? . . . why not start with a truly blank canvas? Otherwise we will always be looking according to what we "know". You can't change a portrait to a landscape half way through. We then end up spending time rejecting and refuting everything instead of actually proving stuff for ourselves.

Any belief we are currently holding to is a prejudice, nobody can change that. The skill of intellect is setting that prejudice aside, albeit temporarily, in order to evaluate conflicting information with intellectual honesty. It's not really that difficult . . . but still remarkably elusive. You see folks not listening to stuff they don't want to hear all the time.

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

For decades I believed Jehovah existed, but that his human-like character sucked. I was mad at him for decades, while still believing.

Now I'm a happy atheist. Finally found out he had the character and flaws of the writers that invented him.

• glenster
    glenster

For the possibility of the basic God concept, I recommend "How to Think About
    God: A Guide for the 20th-Century Pagan" by Mortimer J. Adler. For Abrahamic
    faith, progressive/reform.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

sizemik

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The idea that there is a vastly superior being that looks at us as we look at ants is a very serious philosophical position.

Ants don't worship humans and humans don't give a shit if they step on ants.

Give that some thought and stay away from that "God" fellow. If the Bible reflected the actual attitude of an actual "God," He does sound like someone who would step on us when he is bored.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Gods, demi gods, fallen gods. I never met any.

I don't remember ever having a conversation with god. I don't mean prayer you know, that one way chat thing with no replies.

If there are lesser gods they sure are crap at communicating!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit