How Suicidal Thoughts can take over your Life.

by Lady Lee 57 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

How Suicidal Thoughts can take over your Life.

I lived most of my life thinking about suicide. I have clear memories when I was 8 years old thinking about what it would be like to die. I went to sleep every night of my young childhood saying the prayer:

Now I lay me down to sleep

I pray the Lord my soul to keep

If I should die before I wake

I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Needless to say I wasn't involved with the Jehovah's Witnesses back then. I prayed those words and wished that I would not wake up in the morning. Then I would climb into bed and go through my nightly ritual. Most kids rearrange their stuffed animal collection. I would lie in my bed, very still. I was on my death bed. My parents were standing outside my hospital room waiting for the doctor to tell them I had only minutes to live. They could visit but it had to be very short. (Times were very different then). They would file into the room and stand by my bed and cry and beg forgiveness. But it was too late. My "death" would happen as I fell asleep.

My death scene visualizations continued for many years. I had no fear of death. Thoughts of death was a friend; an Ace up my sleeve for whenever I thought I had enough pain in this life and could not go on. I felt trapped in a family or in a foster care home and I saw no way out.

I grew up and became a Jehovah's Witness. My mother arranged a marriage for me just after I turned 18 to someone I barely knew and had no feelings for. (He knew that but married me anyway hoping that would change). I had my first child just before I turned 20 and a second child just before I turned 24. The girls were my one reprieve from my nightly ritual death scene.

But I felt more trapped in a marriage I didn't want and had no way out of. Death was the only honourable way out for a Witness and it wasn't long before my death scenes took a slight twist. Instead if me dying I wished for a couple of police officers to show up at my door to tell me my husband had been killed in an accident. But since no police ever came I eventually resorted to my old suicidal thoughts and dreams.

By my early 30s that ace up my sleeve was slipping down into my hand. Thoughts of suicide were like a buffer between me and the world I lived in. I could escape into those thoughts instead of dealing with my real problems - an abusive marriage after a horribly abusive childhood. But the ace up my sleeve wasn't as comforting as it used to be in my childhood days.

No one knew how I felt inside. On the outside I was the perfect young elder's wife and Witness. Inside I was dying bit by bit. I filled my days with busy work, sewing or knitting or crocheting clothes for the girls, canning fruits and vegetables, making jams and pickles and freezing food for the family; anything to keep my mind off the thoughts of suicide.

I would often resort to drastic attempts to "fix" my life by chopping off my hair or rearranging the furniture. Sometimes the kids would come home from school to discover their room was now across the hall from where it was when they left that morning.

By my mid 30s I broke down completely. It was all I could do to get up in the morning and get the girls off to school. My depression worsened to the point where I spent most of my days planning how I would do it, when and where. I spoke to Witnesses I trusted and asked them to be there for my kids if anything should happen to me.

And then I realized I didn't really want to die. I wanted the pain to stop. But that meant I had to take some action to deal with the pain and the continuing abuse. I had to leave the marriage and my home, possibly lose my kids and try to find a way to live on my own.

And I did it. I got therapy. My busy work became getting an education. The further behind I left the marriage the less I thought about suicide. I was finding out new and wonderful things about the power within me and I was using it and it felt so good.

For 27 years I had not even the glimmer of a thought about suicide. I felt really great about that. But sometimes life has a way of bringing pain back into your life and old coping behaviors surge up from the depths.

Last Mother's Day I got a call from my youngest daughter. She said: "Happy Mother's Day. Thank you for giving me life. I don't want a relationship with you". I felt like somebody took my heart and pulled it out of my chest and stomped all over it and took my mind and wrapped it in cotton balls and drowned it. I spent the rest of the day going through the motions until I got home.

My mind raced. I was worried sick that her sister will do the same thing. I was so scared. Nothing felt right anymore. The other day I was sitting there thinking how much this hurt and the thoughts just flooded my head. "I just want to die. I could do it."

If I wasn't scared enough before now I was really scared. I don't want to go to that place in my head where suicide seems like an option. It is too dark a place to live in and I won't go back there. I refuse to think about it. I am not trapped like i was as a child and even though I feel totally helpless over the decisions my children make, that doesn't mean I am totally helpless.

So I talked to my doctor who knows my family history and she said she would refer me for counselling but until that happened I could use their walk-in clinic any afternoon. I left her and went back to the front desk and got in to see a worker within minutes.

It helped so much just to sit and talk to someone. I have been emailing with a friend, Big Tex (aka Chris) and he has been a great support. But face to face counselling - it is just different. So in the last 2 weeks I have talked to my doctor, two workers at the walk-in clinic and I started with a regular worker.

We are going to work on how I can manage my fears and work on building a plan where I can feel some degree of control in the situation with my daughters. Sounds like exactly what I need.

So why am I telling you this?

A couple of weeks ago a board member of jehovahs-witness.net, Oompa, committed suicide. He wasn't the first. And it breaks my heart to think that therapy could have helped him deal with his pain. It hurts so much to lose your kids. I thought I had felt everything but this one hurts way more than anything else I have been through.

I don't want to be the next person everybody is talking about.

In some ways my life has been a challenge. I'm certainly older. I might be losing the sight in one eye. I have new hearing aids. I use a wheelchair anytime I go out my front door. I suffer from chronic pain. Life was not supposed to turn out like this. Wasn't that paradise supposed tp be here already?

But until this past May I could easily handle all those challenges. This one has taken me by surprise - well shock me is more like it.

But I don't want to be dead. I have more to do in this world. So I am back in therapy, doing what I have to do, to feel like I have some control over how I react to what other people choose to do.

I can't change my daughter's mind for her. There isn't anything she wants from me. But I do not have to let my fears overwhelm me. I can choose to do something different other than allowing those old suicidal thoughts take up residence in my head again.

I can call my worker any time during the day. She will get back to me.

I can go to the walk-in clinic any afternoon if I feel like I really need it.

I can pick up my telephone book and call the crisis line or the distress center. I can call Big Tex or email him.

I can ask for help.

I am not powerless.

I am no longer that young child that needed to "die" to get to sleep at night. I can think different thoughts. I can do different things. I can talk about how I fee,l because pretending it will go away just doesn't work. Not for me. And most likely not for anyone else either.

Don't be the next person people have to say goodbye to.

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

Lady Lee you made yourself vulnerable for the sake of others on JWN, that's real love and compassion!

Please accept my apologies for the atrocious conduct of your youngest one, it's her loss! God Bless you ladylee!

• Glander
    Glander

Your experience was very moving.

Suicidal thoughts can become a subtle, and unhealthy, coping mechanism. "The Ace up your sleeve"

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

wow lady lee

Thankyou for sharing this. I too was once in that dark place, where every night i would pray to not wake up and when i did I would curse 'god' for letting me. I too sought some counseling and changed my life around, for me it was what I called 'circumstancial depression'. Once i abandoned the religion and life that was sucking my soul out, I was able to make recovery. ( it took some time i might add)

I hope I never revisit that dark place.

To all those who have felt or do feel suicidal...PLEASE GET HELP. I think we all know that sometimes the pain can be just too much even with professional help and people use that 'ace up their sleeve', but please dont! You will have no idea just how much devestation you leave behind among those you may think dont care.

Oz

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Lady Lee, thank youi for your honesty on a subject too many people hide and refuse to talk about. I've been wanting to start a thread like this, too. We need to have this honest conversation.

I've been in that dark place as well, And I don't plan to ever go back. But it's very true that unexpected happenings can threaten the ability to stay "in the light". I've found that I have to always stay vigilant and monitor my ongoing health, since the only times I've felt myself slipping back are the times when I'm stressed, run down, and not taking care of my physical and emotional self.

It's so important to get help before you slip too far, because once you do, you often no longer believe help is available to you. I'm a strong believer in professional counselling, but help can take many forms. A creative outlet is also essential.

Most importantly, keep nurturing your own well-being. Love yourself and feed your soul and spirit so that you won't be "the next person people have to say goodbye to."

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

A few weeks ago I never would have dreamed that I would ever have even 1 thought again about suicide.

One thought is one thought too many and I did not want to put off getting help and take a wait-and-see attitude. With my history of thinking about it daily for almost 30 years it is a habit too easily picked up again and that was what that one thought was like - a drinker who takes that one drink, or the smoker who takes that one puff and slides right back into avoiding the problems and medicating them with any form of addiction. And for me thinking about suicide was like an addiction.

Not my doctor or the workers I saw thought I was being overly dramatic. When my sister committed suicide 6 years ago I spoke to my doctor about it. She started an assessment on me in the office and I thought it was funny because I used to do that to other people. But she took me seriously then and realized my risk was low. But this time she made the immediate referral. My risk had gone too high and she wasn't fooling around either.

I am so grateful to her and the other workers who all sat and listened to me.

I have a lot of support around me and I know I will be okay. My worker is going to help me develop a strategy to deal with my other daughter who is caught in the middle and playing avoiding talking to me because she doesn't want to deal with the issues.

The worst of this happened the same weekend we all found out about oompa. I really didn't want to open this discussion at that time. Everybody needed an outlet and an opportunity to deal with that trauma first.

So here I still am willing to open the discussion.

It is a very dark place to live believing the pain will never end. Most of the time I was hanging on by a thread. Definitely getting away from the JWs helped a lot. Then I could for the first time in my life think about a future. I still want a future regardless of what shape it takes.

I have a new hobby - making purses. First one was real crap but it was supposed to be my "mistakes" trial run. Second one was better but not great. My third one is coming out beautifully.

I am also working on forming a community group for people with acquired disabilities, mostly people in wheelchairs who have had to alter their lives drastically when the disability took over their lives. It is a traumatic experience that no one in the community seems to be addressing. So far there is a lot of interest for it.

So I am keeping busy at home and trying to get this group together. Life goes on - one day at a time

• finally awake
    finally awake

Thank you for your honesty Lady Lee. It's hard to open and and talk about suicidal ideation. I sincerely hope you find peace in your relationship with your daughters.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing
    I don't want to be the next person everybody is talking about.

Thank you for sharing, Lady Lee. There is always someone willing to lend a helping hand. I can relate. I've had some of those thoughts myself over the years, and I'm lucky I've been able to bounce back.

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

The religion prey's on anyone with low self-esteem and fuels the negativity that drive's people into self-loathing.

When is it time to disconnect with loved ones? I think if they repeatedly bring you back into depression hell", or leave your head spinning for weeks after talking to them, it's a good idea to avoid them. In the last Hall I was in, we had a couple with seven kids who had no part of the religion. They had not talked to any of their kids in twenty years, out of seven kids, not one would talk with them! I will blame this on the parents who are self-righteous and refuse to visit their grand-kids who never knew them. It's the beauty of the cult, that shredds innocent grand kids from every seeing their grandpa and grandma, don't you think?

I can only say what works for me, I avoid anyone (including family) that rob's me of my job or attempts to start touble. Life is short, big hearted people open themselves up to having their hearts ripped out, by those who are suppose to love them. I hope you can adjust your expectations with your daughters by not expecting anything from them, in time maybe they might see the "light'?

keeping busy with art or helping with the community sounds like a good way to keep the overactive mind busy! God bless you Lady Lee!

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Dear Lady Lee,

I have so much compassion for you. Your life has been so hard and you have shown so much strength. You know so many of us are quite in awe of you. You have lived a life of dignity, inspite of all of your burdens. My words are just words but the love and respect I have for you, is very real. If you went, I would miss you, and I don't want to miss you, I and everyone else on JW.net, want you continally in our lives, on this board, handing out advise, for the Newbes and the Oldies, for tomorrow and the day after, and the day after that. Don't leave.

I had noticed you didn't post for a while. Then, recently, you showed us the beautiful purses you custom design and sell. How is that working out for you? Do you have a website where people can contact you for possible purchases? My self, I am not looking to buy anything. I just moved and have down sized but others might be interested.

Lady Lee. You are a beautiful, talented, intelligent woman. A Tower of Strength to yourself and others. You have opened the door of your mind and heart to us, with your stories and poems, and now telling us how you are getting strength from educated Professionals in your time of darkness. Kudos to you. I was mentioning Oompa to my daughter just this morning and how his tragic death has affected me. She told me when she was in grade 10, her teacher asked if anyone knew anyone who had committed suicide. She said yes. She knew of 11. The teacher took it as though that was unusual. In our little corner of the world, my daughter only knows JW's. Not unusual where we're coming from.

BIG BIG HUGS, and cookies, and a foot rub and a beautiful sparkly morning and my friendship.

Most sincerely, with real honest warm love, LoisLane

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit