A problem with my daughter

by DATA-DOG 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Should I try to dissuade my daughter from being baptized? She doesn't seem to be in hurry. ALL her " friends " are already baptized, some since early childhood which is ridiculous in my opinion. I do not want her wasting her life for a Corporation, I do not want her pioneering or going to Bethel at all. I don't know what to do. I am trying to get her to use her brain. I don't think I should just flood her with info either, she is not ready for that. If my wife would just wake up things would be so much better. I gave her the old Awake article about young people NEVER growing old, but we have yet to discuss it. What do think I should do?

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

I would certainly discourage her from getting baptised. There will be a lot of pressure from her friends. How old is she?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I would find a quote where it is said that baptism is the MOST IMPORTANT decision in a persons life -- this is definitely in the Wedding Talk outline (it says marriage is 2nd most important, next to baptism). Then, ask if 12, 14, 16, whatever, is really old enough to commit to the MOST important decision. After all, no one would suggest that is old enough for marriage!

Obviously, Jesus is our exemplar. When was he baptised? NOT at 12 when he was amazing all the scholars at the Temple. NO, when he was 30 . Why would we ever think that we were better than Jesus?

Doc

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

I agree with the others, I would discourge her from getting baptized. The examples of how old you need to be to make a commitment to marriage and the age Jesus was when he was baptized are both good examples to use when discussing it with her. I was baptized at the age of 11, I wish someone would have talked me out of it. I never allowed my two children to be baptized even thought I took a lot of flack for it from other sisters. I never lost them when I decided to leave the borg.

PHG

• cantleave
    cantleave

Yes! Dissuade her as much as you can!!!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

She is 16. That is about the age I was baptized. It is way too young even if JW's had the ultimate truth. My wife thinks she is too young, but still believes the WT is God's Org, so I have a little time left. I just have to keep slowly pointing things out to them both. I think I could survive if my my wife left me, although that is not my wish, but if my daughter disowned me....? This really sucks. Thanks for the advice it make a lot of sense. I am continually mentioning, not pushing, but mentioning furthering her education after high school. I may even insist that if she wants to pioneer she must further her education first, and that would by me some time. I am banned from privliges anyway so what are they gonna do about it?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I am continually mentioning, not pushing, but mentioning furthering her education after high school.

Once she is on the higher education bus, then the elders will even question if she qualifies for baptism.

You can also reason that she should wait until AFTER she finishes college, as she needs to be able to serve "whole souled" once she gets baptized. After college there will be PLENTY of time to pioneer, etc.

Doc

• Scully
    Scully

Well, you can tell her that as long as she isn't Baptized™, she will not be accountable to the Elders™ should she wish to do anything that goes against the WTS's "rules". Things like going to college. Having a boyfriend who isn't a JW. Having fun.

Not that you want her to run wild, of course, but just to experience a normal adolescence as much as possible before she decides to "settle down".

You could say that you want her to have an education beyond high school and to have the kind of experiences growing up that you now regret that you missed out on.

They've been saying that "the end" is Right Around The Corner™ for decades now, and they'll still be saying it decades from now too. There's no urgency in her getting Baptized™. JWs will try to pressure her in that direction, even getting her JW friends to start distancing themselves from her. Be there for her and let her know that it is a tactic. Then encourage her to make friends outside the JWs so the snubbing doesn't hurt her too much. Give her as much advance warning about these potential behaviours so that she (a) won't be taken by surprise by them and (b) will grow to trust you and the advice you're giving more than she does what the JWs claim or say to her.

Good luck!

• Ding
    Ding

I think DesirousofChange gave the best approach.

• moshe
    moshe

Tell her that "new light " is coming out soon that changes a major WT doctrine- she needs to wait for that new teaching to come out first.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit