JW Sister Missing near Portland, OR

by tresdecu 56 Replies latest jw friends

• tresdecu
  • tresdecu
  • Tylinbrando
    Tylinbrando

You must know this lady personally? Hope she is found soon.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition

That sucks. I've never been in a situation where someone close to me simply disappeared and is considered missing. Gotta be rough on the family. Hope she turns up soon and all is well.

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

I don't know her very well at all...friend of a friend. Met her when my wife and I were visiting out west.

Very cute and Sweet...so sad. Such a scarry thing to see happen to someone. I hope she is found soon.

• Tylinbrando
  • Glander
    Glander

The area where she dissappeared is very close by. Gresham, Troutdale. It does not look hopeful after this much time and she is an adult. The fact that she is a JW makes us feel like we know her. Makes me sad and angry at the same time.

• AnneB
    AnneB

I saw the news story yesterday, listed with several other headline-only items at the end of a web page. Of all the headlines listed, I clicked on that one simply because I felt sad that someone was missing. It wasn't until the end of the article that I discovered she was a JW.

I had to stop and think about the response it engendered in me. It was definitely more than it had been a moment before I knew she was a JW. Now why should that make any difference? I'm not a JW, haven't been in many, many years. I no longer believe that the worst JW is better than the best "worldy" person, yet knowing that she is a JW left me momentarily breathless. Conditioning? Remember the announcements at the KH after some tragedy struck and word would filter back "thousands were affected but no JW was killed or injured", as though JW lives are somehow more precious than others?

I'm very sad that this young woman appears to be in harm's way. That's "normal". What's bothering me is that I care more about her situation than any of the non-JW similar situations that I read about almost every day. I'll know I'm OK when I care equally about all the persons that go missing no matter what their affiliations (or lack thereof).

I do hope that she returns unharmed.

AB

• Tylinbrando
  • undercover
    undercover

This explains why JWs on my Facebook friend list are re-posting this story...

Don't me wrong, I hope they find her safe. I hope nothing bad has happened.

I just find it ironic how JWs that I know on FB avoid getting involved public service announcements - you know, that whole remain separate from the world bit - but when a JW is missing, then they jump through hoops to sound the alarm.

It's only natural to get involved if it was someone who were acquainted with, or know some family, or even in the same local church. It's a bit different when JWs in the deep South are posting on a missing JW from the other side of the continent. Do Catholics post missing person reports on missing Catholics several states over...just because they're Catholic?

Again, I hope they find her safe and sound... I just get irked at a group of people who consider themselves above the world and only consider their own kind. It's like, "oh, she's a Witness, let's pretend to help..." when had it been a person in their own town, not a JW, they wouldn't have lifted a finger.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit