Freedom from religion foundation - I'm joining!

by tootired2care 47 Replies latest social current

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Its about time to quit living in the united "christian" states of america.

• sabastious
    sabastious

America was first settled by the puritans. I don't see how Christianity can be unfused from the State. It's our tradition and they don't die easy. Good thing Christianity is true otherwise it would be pretty awkward.

-Sab

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

America was first settled by the puritans

Interestingly enough they left England to escape the oppresive church of England and worship Jesus freely in their own way. We now have a lot more information that they did not. It's time to get religion out of politics. Just because it was founded that way does not mean it can't be changed to keep up with more modern thinking that doesn't reflect rules of a bronze aged god.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Interestingly enough they left England to escape the oppresive church of England and worship Jesus freely in their own way. We now have a lot more information that they did not. It's time to get religion out of politics. Just because it was founded that way does not mean it can't be changed to keep up with more modern thinking that doesn't reflect rules of a bronze aged god.

I think we should get junk religion out of politics, but I think it should be replaced with MORE religion, but substantive religion. Stuff people agree on.

-Sab

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

I think we should get junk religion out of politics, but I think it should be replaced with MORE religion, but substantive religion. Stuff people agree on.

Wow SAB do you mean stuff like this?

Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

No, Sab: read it again, but with more care. The claim was that MOST social/moral progress was from non-religious sources. NOT ALL, but MOST. If it's anymore than 50%, then your protestations fail.

You are so colored by absolutist binary thinking that you've interpreted what was written into black-and-white absolutes.

• sabastious
    sabastious

Wow SAB do you mean stuff like this?

Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

A Monotheism precedent is integral for any substantive religion that is attached to a State. You can't have arguing gods, that's what humans are for.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    No, Sab: read it again, but with more care. The claim was that MOST social/moral progress was from non-religious sources. NOT ALL, but MOST. If it's anymore than 50%, then your protestations fail.

Since science only came to be because of religion, then I would say 100% of all social and moral development comes from religion and it's offshoots. So any initiative about freedom FROM religion is not only anti-American, it's anti-history. It's folly, imo.

-Sab

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

"No arguing Gods"? Have you not read ancient mythology? It's FULL of arguing Gods, even where some would say satan vs yhwh is the ultimate battle...

Sab, you seem to be drinking your own Kool-Aid again: you're not going down the path with EOM, too, are you?

• sabastious
    sabastious
    "No arguing Gods"? Have you not read ancient mythology? It's FULL of arguing Gods, even where some would say satan vs yhwh is the ultimate battle...

Yes, that's bad and you don't want it attached to your State. That's why polytheistic civilizations are not strong and monotheistic are.

Sab, you seem to be drinking your own Kool-Aid again: you're not going down the path with EOM, too, are you?

That's reminiscent of the Bible's "don't lean upon your own understanding." But that's only applied to God, not Science or giving into social pressures. EoM is doing fine, lay off him.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit