Freedom from religion foundation - I'm joining!

by tootired2care 47 Replies latest social current

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

After leaving JW's I have come to really despise religion, and how it manipulates and controls people. What really irks me is when people try to inject their religious ideals into public policy in this day and age.

Modern examples of where the mixing of religion and politics is bad for people is; countries like Iran, where you get stoned for apostacy against Muhammad, or countries like England where they are allowing people to get Sharia law going. We also have Christians trying to get their ideals back into governments and schools like prayers at schools right here in the U.S.. IMHO such things are unnacceptable for public policy in this age of scientific understanding.

Don't get me wrong. I think people should be free to practice it in their own way, in their own privacy or church groups, as long as it doesn't influence public policy, harm others, or encroach on their rights.

I recently saw a billboard in my city for this organaization called Freedom from religion foundation. It really pique'd my interest, and so I checked it out online and really liked what I saw. This organizations #1 goal is to keep state and church separate through lobbying and other means. I think this is a very important task and I thought this would be a cool way for me to get involved and do something positive after leaving the wt$.

How about you, have you gotten involved with this or with anything like it? Was it a waste of time, or worthwhile? What is your view of any Islamic & Christian ideals mixing with public policy?

Discuss.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Religion & public policy/law should be wholly separate. If my child was being taught creationism in public school, I would go on the warpath, for example.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    The history of Western civilization shows us that most social and moral progress has been brought about by persons free from religion - FFRF.org

Wow, this is not even close to true. Ever heard of Isaac Newton? And that's just one person.

-Sab

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

@SAB

Here is the quote you took out of context.

The history of Western civilization shows us that most social and moral progress has been brought about by persons free from religion. In modern times the first to speak out for prison reform, for humane treatment of the mentally ill, for abolition of capital punishment, for women's right to vote, for death with dignity for the terminally ill, and for the right to choose contraception, sterilization and abortion have been freethinkers, just as they were the first to call for an end to slavery. The Foundation works as an umbrella for those who are free from religion and are committed to the cherished principle of separation of state and church.

If religion had the power (like they did in 15th century England), they would have never allowed any of these things in the last 100 years. Because they thought that it's was their god given right to oppress others, and deny others (e.g. women) certain rights.

@LKS

That certainly is very understandable, as there is no proof for creationism.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Uh, Sab: it says "social and moral progress", not "scientific process": Newton was not a social reformer by any stretch (and even there, Newton lived in an age before Darwin, which changed things forever for science).

• fakesmile
  • tootired2care
    tootired2care

I love your user name "Fakesmile" . That is what I spent much of my doing.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

what social and moral progress did newton contribute to?

scientific? plenty. i think several thngs are important to note.

1. his studies in math and physics didn't go against church teachings. ok maybe the alchemy did. i don't know if that was a sin or not.

2. by the time newton was doing his thing, he didn't have to battle catholocism. the church of england was in full swing by then.

3. iirc, the catholic church changed some of it's views and was a bit more open to science by newton's time anyway. i forget who, but i believe a few scientists had work published AFTER they died so as not to piss off the pope

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Uh, Sab: it says "social and moral progress", not "scientific process": Newton was not a social reformer by any stretch (and even there, Newton lived in an age before Darwin, which changed things forever for science).

Scientific progress and moral/social progress are interconnected, wouldn't you agree (think contraception)? Also Newton's religious ferver played a vital role in the development of his sciences. God was his motivation and drive, there is no denying this. Therefore it's not at all illogical to say that he greatly affected the moral and social progress of the future.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Religion & public policy/law should be wholly separate. If my child was being taught creationism in public school, I would go on the warpath, for example.

And you would be met by stronger forces than yourself in battle.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit