Was the Watchtower Right?

by Christ Alone 91 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

All that being said, I would LOVE to believe in universalism. I just can't find that teaching in the Bible myself. But if it's true, that would be awesome...

• cofty
    cofty

when someone has a solid understanding of hermeneutics, these contradictions disappear. - Christ Alone
    No they don't. They disappear in your head if you are prepared to engage in the sort of disingenuous mental gymnastics that we used to protect our faith in the governing body. - Cofty

Using hermeneutics, there is no way that you can come to believe in a Governing Body in the way that JWs believe today. - Christ Alone

I meant it was necessary to perfom mental gymnastics to hold on to the shit that passed for doctrines by the GB. Precisely the same antics are necessary to beleive the bible has a supernatural origin.

• Sulla
    Sulla

Aren't you conflating the idea that there are no contradictions within the Bible with the idea that the Bible is inspired of God (or, as you say, of supernatural orogin)?

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

eternal separation from God.

That sounds like heaven.

• cofty
    cofty

Sulla - No but I think Christ Alone is. I realise that millions of christians treasure the bible without needing to believe it was literally inspired or inerrant.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I just can't find that teaching in the Bible myself.

There's a lot of information not in the Bible. This is just one of a number of reasons I found/find this book to be suspect.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I've had the same arguments on the JWStruggle discussion forum with those who believe in eternal destruction and they cut and pasted the same articles. The word 'aion' definitely depends on context and who it is describing, and this is especially telling in the Septuagint. Some things it described like how long a slave was to stay with his master, how long the Law and the Aaronic Priesthood were to last also used the same word.

I'm about to cut out for the weekend and I'm usually not online much during that time. I encourage you to read the book Hope Beyond Hell. Google it and you should find the free PDF. It will give my perspective on the matter.

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

"I would LOVE to believe in universalism. I just can't find that teaching in the Bible myself" sounds very much like a dub saying "I would love to believe Armageddon isn't coming to destroy everybody, but I can't find it in the Watchtower". If something is morally repugnant it has to be rejected whether it's in ones cherished "source of knowledge" or not. And if it is, one needs to question that "source of knowledge". If there's one thing I learned from being a dib, that's it.

• Sulla
    Sulla

Cofty -- I understand now. I do think that Christalone's idea that one can resolve every seeming contradiction in scripture is not true, except with the sort of mental contortions that we used to use, back in the day...

• LV101
    LV101

Interesting topic, ChristAlone. So many issues to resolve in our souls --- me, anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit