Was the Watchtower Right?

by Christ Alone 91 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mrquik
    mrquik

This list is based on what I think makes sense. For the record, this could all be crap. Adam & Eve, a paradise on earth, earthly resurrection, gentile times, Armageddon, some having a heavenly resurrection, Jesus & God being two individuals, Satan, no conscious state after death. Best of all, if you croak before everything hits the fan you're coming back. I look forward to meet all of you in some far future bar I'll have in the Caribbean. MrQuiks of course.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

The WT also mess with the resurrection doctrine.

The bible says about a resurrection in the flesh (same dead body) in the last day when they'll go to heaven in transformed bodies.

Nothing about a resrrection in a earthly paradise.

The whole WT doctrine has a lot of philosophical flaws in a resurrection with another new body. Simply put, the WT doctrine is about clones.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Good basic description of the Trinity, Christalone!

Going from John 1:10 to Genesis 18-19 with an emphasis on 19:24 and then Amos 4:11 then back to John 1:10 seals the deal for me. I can't get a JW to explain those to me yet.

• processor
    processor
    I'm wondering what you think they got right, at least according to what the Bible says

This would require that the Bible makes clear statements, so that one could compare those to JW views.

But with the Bible you can prove that Trinity is right and you can prove that Trinity is wrong.

You can prove that war is right and that war is wrong.

You can prove that Christmas is right and that Christmas is wrong.

Accordingly, depending on which verses you consider, JW's are right or wrong.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Hey OnTheWayOut!

Loved your comment:

"KNOCKING (JW documentary) attempts a similar feat in discussing Watchtower's championing of personal freedoms in the courtrooms but fails to mention how their courtroom battles were self serving and how they took away personal freedoms from members."

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

While they misrepresent trinitarianism a bit, overall I think they are quite correct to reject it. I also think they get the no immortal soul and no hell teachings spot on. I also agree with their pacifism. Apart from that there is not much else I think they have got especially right.

• cofty
    cofty

I also agree with their pacifism.

I don't want to take it off-topic but I can't understand how anybody can defend pacifism. There comes a time when killing your enemy is the lesser of 2 evils.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I don't want to take it off-topic but I can't understand how anybody can defend pacifism. There comes a time when killing your enemy is the lesser of 2 evils.

Which is very rarely what the wars of modern states are ever about.

• Emery
    Emery

@slimboyfat, I agree.

If there was ever a time that I felt it necessary to fight in the past century it would have been WWI and WWII. Since then its been all about political disagreements for control and power. I also understand cofty's point too, especially when Witnesses don't realize that if it weren't for the USA going to war with Germany, the entire organization would have been permanently destroyed if it came under Nazi rule. The WT would not exist or have the religious freedoms they have today if it weren't for Satan's worldly governments getting involved.

Things I think the WTS has right:

- Pacifism
    - Trinity (although the same way they theologically argue against the Trinity, is the same way they argue for Jesus being Michael the Archangel, using ambigious scriptures to solve this identity crisis)
    - Hellfire

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

It's interesting that some of the doctrines that are peculiar to the cults are the ones that many still hold onto even after leaving. Makes me wonder if some researched these matters outside of the NWT after leaving? As far as I can see, other translations show a far different picture of who Jesus is, what the soul is, and what the eternal destination of all of us after death.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit