Neurosurgeon Has Near Death Experience

by metatron 78 Replies latest jw friends

• still thinking
    still thinking

I thougth neurosurgeons made a lot of money already. Also he's risking losing credibility with his peers and endangering his future career I would have thought.

I don't see why it would ruin his career....if he is a good neurosurgeon. It's not like they grow on trees. I can't see the medical profession ditching a neurosurgeon because he wrote a kooky book about heaven. That just wouldn't make sense.

• still thinking
    still thinking

An untrained mind interferes w the above mentioned persuit. Not easy to do.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Would you want a kook who went to heaven messing around in your brain?

S

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

He says he had this experience while his cerebral cortex was shut down and under medical observation. But how does he know? The fact is that he woke up from the coma. Isn't the simplest explanation that he had the expience shortly before waking up? It may have seemed like the experience took a long time, but that is what dreams are like. What seems like hours of dreamtime can take a minute or two.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

These experiences can be explained and induced. There was a big UK and Australia study on such events. It was a serious trial and it found no evidence of any real occurence, though people 'experienced' such an event. They hid items on top of equipment and lights and cupboards etc and when people cliamed to leave the body , they would ask if they saw any of the items. They did not.

The human mind is more than capable of imagining what it would look like to observe down from above in a hospital envirmoment. Lucid dreams are VERY realistic, having experienced a few due to medication following a car accident. Add to that being able to hear the medical equipment and staff, the mind can fill in the gaps and provide an expeience one could intepret several ways.

As for this being a neuro surgeon. One of my acquaintances at medical school wants to be a neuro surgeon or cardiac surgeon. He believes Adam was 600 ft tall and he thinks that dinosaurs are all a huge fraud. He called Jurrasic Park "science fiction" (not the 'dino DNA' element, the 'there was once dinosaurs' idea) and said that there are no real dinosaur remains. He gets one of the highest marks in class and by chance happens to be a Muslim.

Critical appraisal has never been so important now that info is so easily available.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

snare&racket maybe you have not read the story, it was not simply an out of body type experience.

I don't believe there is s a heaven. But I always thought the experiment you mention was pretty stupid. So what if they didn't see objects placed on top of furniture? It perhaps proves they were not actually floating in space, I suppose, but was that ever what was meant to be claimed for these experiences anyway?

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Ok I actually decided to bunk off from my clinic for 5 minutes to read the article... I very soon got annoyed, this guy should know better !

"There is no scientific explanation for the fact that while my body lay in coma, my mind—my conscious, inner self—was alive and well"

In my first year of medical education I had to do a project of my own choosing. I did it on Dr Adrian Owen and actually spoke to Dr Owen for the project. Have a look at what we have known for over 8 years now... (you need a university account to see the study but it was reported in the news too)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8497148.stm

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/laneur/article/PIIS1474-4422(06)70592-0/fulltext

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/feb/03/vegetative-state-patient-communication

We do know that patients are aware in comas via FMRI's (functional MRI's), we even use the science to help them recover! My project was all about the dignity and respect that should be afforded a patient in a coma. I argued that they should receive the same care as a normal patient and that the assumption should be made that they can hear your every word etc. I used the above studied to defend my point.

Snare x

• still thinking
    still thinking

Would you want a kook who went to heaven messing around in your brain?

If he was a neurosurgeon and good at his job...I don't care if he is a hare krishna, a buddihst, a muslim, a catholic, astro travels, reads auras or claims to visit heaven. I am more concerned about his qualifications. His personal life and beliefs are his business. His ability to do the operation is mine.

• still thinking
    still thinking

He says he had this experience while his cerebral cortex was shut down and under medical observation. But how does he know?

He doesn't...he's making assumptions based on what he wants to believe. It could easily have happened just before he awoke from the coma. He has no proof that this wasn't the case. But has written an entire book based on the assumption that it was.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I agree with the comments on the site that reading this article was a bit of a waste of time. The man had a nice dream. So what?

On the other hand I read an excellent article by a brain surgeon a couple of weeks ago that was absolutely worth the five minutes it took to read.

It's a shame it probably will not get as wide a readership as the main story on this thread!

www.granta.com/New-Writing/Henry-Marsh

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit