Ladies: A Purse Question

by Lady Lee 39 Replies latest jw friends

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

color? tan for spring, summer and fall and black for winter, (to match my shoes and boots)
    size? medium (big enough to accomodate a rather large Prada wallet)
    interior or exterior pockets? interior pockets to avoid smaller items rattling around, and exterior pockets for cell phone and cigarettes
    zippered top or sections? zippered top to avoid spills
    long straps or short? long straps to keep hands free
    material it is made from? leather; real or fake, material It doesn't matter to me, as long as it's sturdy.
    slouchy or sits straight? It doesn't matter, but I happen to have two slouchy ones now.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

interesting answers

BTW, what do you call the small money-holding receptacle we call a purse?

Wallet for paper money and change purse for coins although many wallets have a section for change

Right now my favorite spring, summer, and fall purse is a brown leather embossed bag. Black or dark blue for winter

Long strap that crosses the body and sits on my left hip or lap. I need hands free because my right hand is always on the wheelchair joystick while my left hand is doing everything else.

Lots of pockets. At least one exterior pocket for bus pass. My brown purse has 3 large zippered pockets and one of those has a small pocket that I put my address book in along with med boxes, chapstick etc. The first pocket has my wallets (one for cards, another for IDs and more cards and a change purse for both paper and coins. This also is where I carry my e-reader. Middle pocket has camera, batteries, MP3 player and any other electronic gadget I have with me. Third pocket has my list of DVDs I have (terrible about buying something I already have), disabled parking permit for when I go out with a car, and various other things like tissues, pens and a small notebook.

My wheelchair carries a ton of stuff with a bag on the back for shopping bags, rain gear, cord for charging the chair as well as a folding cane and whatever else I might think I need. I really carry waaaay too much stuff with me. and a small bag between my back and the front of the seat. That one holds mostly maps for quick reference (wheelchairs version of a glove compartment lol)

Some of you know that every year I try to learn something new. it took me until the last month to figure out what that would be. So I am making purses. Right now I have used the dimensions of my favorite brown purse to make a cloth one of similar size and shape. This is my second one and it is turning out way better than the first. The first one had the three pockets. I learned a lot about what NOT to do. It is a mess. But it was supposed to be a learning experience and it was. This second purse is coming along very nicely.

If this turns out as well as it looks like it will then I have a bunch of materials for more purses. I will try to post some pictures later.

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

I've had the same purse now for 6 years because I love it so. It is a velvety fabric, it can expand to almost mary poppins proportions, but light weight on its own. Its colour is it's own...it's been called pink, purple, gray, brown. I still get complements on it often, and people asking to touch it. I originally bought it for carrying toddler paraphernalia when my youngest was a wee one... can't seem to let it go. I've had to stitch it in areas numerous times. It's so comfortable.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

forgot to add that the second purse I am making has only one pocket but it will have a removable organizer that will hold most of what I have --- I hope.

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

Lady Lee, some call purses or ladies hand/shoulder bags..pocketbooks (at least some from closer to the East coast)

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

it.It has a flap that with two leather roses on the front.When a security person at the courthouse examined it prior to letting me enter the courthouse, he told that was the neatest purse inside that he had ever seen. That comment made me try to do better with my other purses.

PHG.

• panhandlegirl
  • yknot
    yknot

I love purses....

My mood and outfit determine which bag I take out for a the day.

With this cold snap today, a crisp black croc embossed satchel accompanied me in FS today.

My 'go-to' bag has been a knock off Valentino Napa Rose....

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

Yes, Lady Lee, post pictures. I love knitted purses. I had two when I was young and I loved them.I think it is nice to learn something new on a regular basis. I am trying to learn Latin.I am using WHEELOCK's LATIN Textbook. I have learned a little. Someone advised me to ask the local Catholic priest for help when I have trouble with some of the words, maybe I will just do that.

Here in the SE, I hear purses called pocketbooks.

PHG

• jgnat
    jgnat

I've been picking funky colors like lime green or purple, faux glossy leather. Zippered. It must be big enough to carry a letter-size file folder. I carry a ziploc in the purse with breath mints, band-aids, lip gloss, and so on, that can easily be slipped in to anything else I am carrying. There MUST be an inside pocket for my iPhone.

If I keep my eyes open, Winners sometimes has purses in funky colors.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit