Speaking in Tongues

by AvailableLight 25 Replies latest jw friends

• AvailableLight
    AvailableLight

So what's the deal with this? Have you ever seen anyone do it? Done it yourself?

Are those that have this ability just nuts? Possessed? Faking? Can they do at will or does it just hit happen at random?

Lately I've been kind of struggling with ideas related to the supernatural and what seem to be supernatural abilities in humans. I always accepted the JW doctrines regarding demons, but now have to question them as I question everything else.

What do you think?

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

I think speaking in tongues is more psycosamatic than anything else.

Join the Watchtower or you will die.
    Only Jehovah's Witnesses have the TRUTH all other religions EVIL and from the Devil.
    You must beleive the Watchtower or you're going to die a painful death forever, isn't that the GOOD NEWS?
  • Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

La thaba too jast coffus toojas lablathis da ja ja fabla ta chesha....

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• Valis
    Valis

This site has a very detailed look at the whole speaking in tongues issue from several perspectives.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/tongues1.htm

In my opinion, speaking in tongues is just like the nut cases that can make themselves sick on demand, all a matter of putting oneself into something that resembles a trance state. The other ludicrous view would be to say that an entity came down from the sky and filled the worshiping vessel with the holy spirit.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

I know of a small "Christian" cult named "The Way International" that does it and strongly emphasizes it in their prayers. I went to a couple of their sessions and they did Speaking in Tongues after the round of prayers. How they do it is like this: After the round of prayers, the conductor picks someone (about 2 or 3 people, one at a time) in that session to do the speaking in tongues and that person will do it and then, "supposedly" say the translations.

IMHO, it is kinda bizarre.

my 2 cents.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I went to churches for a couple of years that did this. While i liked it there, i never wanted the tongues thing. Towards the end, i changed my mind about it. I tried, and others tried to get me to do it, but i couldn't. Terrence mackenna, the famous psychadelist also did it. I conclude that it is some kind of spiritual thing, which some people are able to use to alter their consciousness slightly. There is nothing demonic about it.

SS

• TheStar
    TheStar

SaintSatan,

There may be nothing demonic about it but it sure does sound creeeepyy.... doesn't it? I've heard it only once and that was enough for me to say "no thanks!"

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

LALALALLlaLOLOLLALAalLALALAOOALALOAALLALLLLAAOAOALalOOALAOAL

I have a Sister-in law who does. yup.surenuff.

I really made me sad when I found out she joined this cult where they do that on a regular basis. Toungs and snakes. ALRITTIETEN>>

She was my fav sis-in-law. real sweet person. I don't talk to her any more. can't understand a word she says.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Star

Because of our conditioning, our first reaction is that it is creepy. You may feel that gregorian or buddhist chant is creepy too, if you haven't heard it before. They are used to alter consciousness as well. Somebody who never saw anyone pray could think it strange. Watchtower meetings are also mind altering.

SS

• LB
    LB

There's a little assembly of god church down the road from me. They just love speaking in tongue in there. Hell they heal each other all the time.

I think it's completly whacked.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit