2012 annual meeting notes

by lostinthought 100 Replies latest jw friends

• jeremiah18:5-10
    jeremiah18:5-10

This is a truly interesting development.

I'm prompted to ponder if Anointedjw.org has had anything to do with this. For the last year they have written very deep, informative articles focusing on the true hope of the Bible, the earth, "sonship", among other things. They have sent weekly letters to the GB/ Writing Dept calling for reform and adjustment in teachings in order to accept "fellow sons".

Their efforts are completely based on the premise that all anointed are part of the FDS and thus their authority to write these articles and letters and submit them. It looks to me like the GB couldn't dispute any of it and this was the easiest way to quell their efforts among the R&F.

From all indications, the site has had a flood of interest from current JW's of all rank. (Of course all posted and claimed results can be subjective and debatable.)

While this site has been largely disregarded on this forum, I think it will prove to be an interesting read over the next few weeks/months to see how they react to this "new light" from the GB.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree
    "hang on, the GB are the F&DS. Aren't they?". Maybe the new light will not appear to be new light for many...

My thoughts too.

The Organization has been conditioning Witnesses for some time to make this transission, to many it will be ... "oh, that makes sense" ...

WELL OF COURSE IT MAKES SENSE! It makes sense because what the had been teaching didn't ....

(pause)

I just spoke with my wife about this ... she answered just the same as I expected unfortunately ... "It makes sense"

So, I ask, Jesus appointed the faithful and discreet slave in 1919 and they only realized in 2012 who they are? That makes sense?

Wife: "John said in Revelation that the scrollls we be understood gradually and knowledge would become abundant."

I told her that I am pretty sure she means Daniel, but anyway, she said they both talk about the last days.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I'm prompted to ponder if Anointedjw.org has had anything to do with this.

Ha. I'd forgotten about them! Possibly one of the contributory factors, ya never know.

• besty
    besty

Anointedjw.org wrote a letter to Brooklyn dated 1st October 2012 which concluded as follows :

Now that we are into a new service year, we hope you brothers will begin to clear out some of the cobwebs in the Watchtower teachings and bring in the fresh air and new light of sonship with God and our common heavenly destination. We know it will take some time for the Watchtower apparatus to pivot toward the bright light (Proverbs 4:18), so while you brothers work out the adjustment, we will continue our work of building up the Body of Christ.

Again, we encourage you to let us know if you disapprove of what we are doing. So far, we have accepted your silence as tacit approval while you work out the logistics of correcting the kingdom message. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, and may the Father bless your efforts in this regard.

Well that clears that up then ......

https://anointedjw.org/uploads/L-WBTS_100112.pdf

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Kepler:

(Greetings, and it sounds like you're making good use of your McReynolds Interlinear)

Just to add a little to the definition of discreet which might make some sense of some of the renderings you see in the NWT:

AMG Greek-English Dictionary:

"From phroneo (5426), to think have a mindset. Prudent,sensible, practically wise in relationships with others (Mt 7:24; 10:16; 24:45; 25:2, 4, 8, 9; Lu 12:42; 16:8; 1Co 10:15; Sept.: 1Ki 3:12;Pr 3:7; 14:6; 18:15; Is 44:25). In an evil sense, thinking oneself to be prudent or wise because of self-complacency (Rom 11:25; 12:16; used ironically in 1Co 4:10; 2Co 11:19; Sept.: Prov 3:7

Derivative: phronimos (5430), prudently.

BDAG: (Bauer's 3rd edition)

Pertaining to understanding associated with insight and wisdom, sensible, thoughtful, prudent, wise.

Louw & Nida Lexicon:

The psychological faculty of thoughtful planning, often with the implication of being wise and prudent - 'thoughtful planning, way of thinking, outlook.'

NIDNTT (vol.II pp.619-20) has a really interesting discussion of the use of the term in the NT.

The adj. phronimos occurs 9 times in the Gospels and 5 times in Paul. The adv. phronimos occurs only at Luke 16:8.

(a) In the Gospels the words are confined to parables or figurative language, and refer to that wise, judicious behaviour which should characterize those in the kingdom of God. The examples are taken from everyday life, though occasionally they are significantly exaggerated: the wise man builds his house on the rock (Mt 7:24); the five wise virgins have a supply of oil (Mt 25:1 ff.); a wise and faithful steward watches and is ready at the coming of his master (Mt 24:45; part. Lk 12:42); the unrighteous steward acts wisely, for "the sons of this world are wiser in their own generation than the sons of light" (Lk 16:8); and in Mt 10:16 the wisdom of serpents is held up as an example to Christ's disciples. It has to be said , however, that the wisdom which is presented to the disciples as being in keeping with the kingdom of God is not just ordinary human common sense. Rather, the fact that phronimos is contrasted with moros, foolish, in the first two parables mentioned above (Mt 7:26; 25:2 f., 8), shows that here the OT idea of wisdom is involved: the wise man is he who does the will of the Lord (Mt 7:24); the foolish man is he who refuses obedience. Hence the idea behind phronimos in the Gospels may be summarized thus: the believer's wisdom lies in his obedience.

(b) The Pauline passages clearly arise from the slogan which seems to have been in circulation among the "charismatic" Corinthians: hemeis de phronimoi, "But we are intelligent [or discerning]", a claim which Paul controverts in 1 Cor 4:10; cf. 10:15; 2 Cor 11:19. The wisdom claimed by such people was a purely human wisdom, which because of their arrogance jeopardized the unity of the church. Therefore, Paul counters it both with a reference to his own suffering as an apostle (not without a touch of irony, e.g. 1 Cor 4:10; 2 Cor 11:19) and with the warning, supported by the OT, that the man who regards himself as wise falls under the judgment of God (Rom 11:25; 12:16)

Some of the irony of the GB defining themselves as "the faithful and discreet slave":

1. There is some truth in the description, in that the parable of Luke 12:42-48 (and by extension Mt 24:45-47) does (to a degree) focus on leadership within Jesus' congregation. Luke 12:48 provides the overriding principle that the parable is based on: "Indeed, everyone to whom much was given, much will be demanded of him; and the one whom people put in charge of much, they will demand more than usual of him."

But that principle would argue that the parable was not just for a few top-guns. Compare Peter's question that led to the parable in Luke 12:41, and the open-endedness of introducing the parable with the question, 'Who really is . . .' It is a thought question inviting the listener to consider whether he has received anything of value for which he needs to show some appreciation. Similarly in Matthew 24 the Olivet Discourse opens with the disciples question of, 'When will these things be and what is the sign?' This naturally invites Jesus to, not just give an external sign, but to also express what he expects of them. (Which he does mostly from Mt 24:36-25:30.)

Matthew 24:45-47 is a slimmed down version of the Lukan parable (12:42-48). And the immediate context leading up to the parable is quite similar (compare Mt 24:43, 44 with Luke 12:35-40). The Lukan version was given by Jesus sometime in the fall of 32. The Matthew version is spoken by Jesus in the spring of 33. Like is done with commercials after they have had their initial run, Jesus (in Mt 24:43-47) can give the gist (of what he said in Lu 12:32-48) and rely on his disciples memories to fill in the extra details.

2. The parable in Mt 24:45 and Luke 12:42 is introduced merely with a question ("Who really is . . ."). It is not in any sense a command on how to describe oneself.

But in Luke 17:10, Jesus specifically tells his disciples how to refer to themselves: ". . .So YOU, also, when YOU have done all the things assigned to YOU, say, ‘We are good-for-nothing slaves. What we have done is what we ought to have done. . ."

In fact, notice the context of Luke 17:1-10: Verse 1 has Jesus speaking to "the disciples." But in verse 5 the "apostles ask Jesus a question which leads him to the statement in Luke 17:10. So Luke 17:10 is most directly speaking to the very top leadership among Jesus' disciples.

If the GB were going to take things ultra-literally, then, they should rightly be calling themselves "the good-for-nothing slave class." Instead, as Romans 11:25 says, 'they have become discreet in their own eyes.'

3. Even C.T. Russell reportedly had a modicum of modesty. Supposedly he recognized the possibility that he might be "the faithful and discreet slave" but would not say so in public.

4. Now the GB cannot anymore blame an ethereal "faithful slave class" for all the dreadful things they have taught and hold to (blood, no alternative service, [add your favorite here]). As the Master said: "Out of your own mouth I judge you, wicked slave." (Lu 19:22)

And again: (John 9:39-41) . . .And Jesus said: "For [this] judgment I came into this world: that those not seeing might see and those seeing might become blind." 40 Those of the [the GB] who were with him heard these things, and they said to him: "We are not blind also, are we?" 41 Jesus said to them: "If YOU were blind, YOU would have no sin. But now YOU say, ‘We see [are discreet].' YOUR sin remains."

Take Care

• designs
    designs

So much for Apostalic Succession...

• moshe
    moshe

JWs are brainless slugs-

• Ultimate Reality
    Ultimate Reality

As many of us have discussed over the past few years, they have been planning this and now it looks like New Light will be officially seen during the 2013 Service Year; as discussed in a post from 2009: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/173385/1/Who-really-is-the-slave-The-Governing-Body

Paragraph three from the February 15, 2009 Watchtower in the article They "Keep Following The Lamb":

"Jesus has appointed the faithful and discreet slave "over his domestics ," that is, the individual members of the slave class..."

The WT has been redefining certain terms (like the "Slave" or "Generation"), which then causes a general confusion among members, and lastly the GB comes to the rescue with clarification. Usually over a period of months...or in this case years.

The GB must be deparate to concentrate their power and control and rid themselves of those pesky growing numbers of annointed who think they also have a direct line to God.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    moshe - "...let the lobotomies begin..."

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

"Will this change in doctrine cause problems for the rank and file?"

No.

And let me tell you why.

Right now, doctrine is in place that states that you have to make a choice between saving the life of your child with a blood transfusion, or upholding a Bible "principle" and allowing your child to die without it.

And most of the R&F have no problem AT ALL with this doctrine!

What then, would be the kerfluffle about a change in understanding on something that most only have a hazy understanding of to begin with?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit