I'm in agony

by rem 42 Replies latest social relationships

• Introspection
    Introspection

Sorry to hear that Rem. You know, it's interesting to note that there is a relationship stage theory out there that basically says after a while the two people drift apart, but in the end you can have a better sense of who you are as an individual and be interdependent but not codependent. I wish I remember a reference but it was a brief mention in psych class that wasn't even material we were tested on. Maybe a board member who's a mental health professional will know. In any case, I thought as an intellectual you'd be interested and I figure it could be encouraging in a way.

Mark

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

{{{rem}}}, first of all, I'm so sorry you are going through this. And I agree with Anne. Be unconventional. Marriage shouldn't mean no freedom. If anything, it should give you more. Complete trust should "allow" things, not stifle.

I hope things work out.....and she sees what she had. But that old cliche.....about loving something and letting it go....really is true sometimes. If love is real, it will come back to you.

Love........

April

Men are from earth. Women are from earth. Deal with it.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/171905

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

I'm just a phone call away if you need it....my email is open.

((((((((((((((((rem))))))))))))))

• Shimmer
    Shimmer

rem,

I can relate to what you are going through. My husband left me 4 years ago and we were seperated for 1 year. He said pretty much the same thing that your wife said. That we got married too young and he wasn't happy. I told him that I would give him one year to try and figure out what he wanted and then I was moving on. It took a year and marriage counseling and becoming more positive people but we are now more happy than we ever were before. Sometimes it takes something like this to make people realize how much we take each other for granted and also to figure out what is really important.

I hope things turn out good for you.

Shimmer

Maybe being oneself is alway an acquired taste.-----PATRICIA HAMPL

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

(((((((((((((((((((((((REM)))))))))))))))))))))))))

Oh sweety! I know what you are going through, it hurts like hell, but keep your chin up and if you ever need to talk feel free to drop me an e-mail. Talking about it is great therapy dear.

Kisses and Hugs,
    Moe

• JBean
    JBean

Just caught this thread now... I can't really add too much to what all the others have said. My heart aches for what you're going through right now. But each day brings new hope and promise. Things WILL get better for you, whichever way they end up... take care of yourself. Jbean

• detective
    detective

I'm sorry that you are in pain. I hope you will find something beautiful is born from this sadness. Take care.

• outnfree
    outnfree

((((((((((((Rem))))))))))))))

So sorry for your pain. <SIGH>

outnfree

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts -- John Wooden

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

I know this will sound trite, but you're going to hurt for a while, maybe a long time. You will be emotionally screwed up for the time being. This is normal after a breakup or divorce.

How long you continue to *badly hurt* will be determined a lot by what you do in reponse to your emotional pain. I agree with all of Valis' suggestions. They work. Basically, build a new life for yourself and try and get some enjoyment out of life... even though you're going through a bad patch right now. These emotions will not last forever. They will pass one day. The quicker you are able to force yourself to move on, the faster that day will come when you are no longer deeply torn up over the loss of your relationship.

• seven006
    seven006

Rem,

Right now you are experiencing one of the greatest emotional and painful situations that can be felt by a human. There is virtually nothing that anyone can say that will make your current pain dissipate. It will be hard for you to think rationally for a while but believe me when I say all is not lost yet.

You and your wife seem to be suffering from the cultural adjustment that is brought on by leaving the JW religion. Many of the things she may see in your relationship that she is trying to get away from and start anew is not directly a result of your personality but that of a personality that has been ingrained in you by the religion. Many of the things she may see as possibly controlling and unappealing could be just her observing you trying to be a good JW husband. The religion strips women of their own individuality and puts the control of their life into the religions hands and then tries to filter that control down through the husband to the wife.

At this point she does not know who she is and she is desperate to find out who the person living inside her body really is. You are in the same situation and you probably do not realize it. One of the first things the religion tries to convince you both of is that you do not have the right to be an individual and rely on your own thoughts and judgment. Neither one of you know how to really think for yourself. Right now your wife is associating "freedom of thought" with leaving "you" when that actual freedom will be realized by leaving the "religion" and not you.

You both need to learn new communication skills and spend time figuring out what each of you personally think about things in life from a completely new perspective. You have a great opportunity to share this new life together if you give each other chance to gain this new perspective and help each other deal with the transition of life in the real world.

If you love your wife and she loves you that is a very powerful force that will help both of you adjust. Setting out alone will be much harder than trying to adjust together. I suggest you think about what it is that really makes your wife feel she does not know herself. Is it YOU or is it the influences of the religion?

If you two can agree to go to counseling not necessarily with an agenda to get back together when the counseling is over but rather to begin to discover who both of you really are, it just might make you both realize that it was the religion and not each other that has made you two grow apart. The last thing you or your wife needs right now is another situation where a predetermined result is expected. You both are trying to experience some freedom. You are both confused and reacting to painful situations. Give it a little time and hold back on the reins a bit and see what happens.

Take care and hang in there, I feel for ya man.

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit