The opposite of love is ......

by caliber 27 Replies latest jw friends

• caliber
    caliber

The opposite of love is ....
    is the opposite of love indifference
    is the opposite of love hate
    is the opposite of love fear

I have the most trouble accepting this one... the opposite of love is indifference . I can see where short term romantic affair or with a religion could result in indifference ... but what after a long term history exists ? Ignorance is bliss only because of lack of knowledge , is it not?

"The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of beauty is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, but indifference between life and death " ~~~~Elie Wiesel

Eliezer "Elie" WieselKBE ( play/ ' ? l i v ? ' z ? l / ; Hungarian: Wiesel Lázár; born September 30, 1928) [1] is a Romanian-born Jewish-American [1] writer, professor, political activist, Nobel Laureate, and Holocaust survivor. He is the author of 57 books, including Night, a work based on his experiences as a prisoner in the Auschwitz, Buna, and Buchenwald concentration camps

I certainly agree that indifference not hate lead to much suffering for the Jewish people..indifference means inaction

And how would you apply this to your religion ? Can intense involvement with such as JW's

go from dedication to indifference ?

Or is the word love too broad a term to fall neatly into any of the above statements as fact ?

Can the opposite of an emotion ... be no emotion at all .... Love to indifference ?

Your opinions are requested.... Can the opposite of love be all the above hate, indifference and fear ?

Are there fifty shades of gray , which make it impossible to answer ?

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

"Darkness is the absence of light". Albert E.

• jgnat
    jgnat

The first time I came across the idea that apathy (indifference) is the opposite of love was in Tim Allen's book, "I'm Not Really Here"

I was convinced. Think about it. Both love and anger come out of high emotion, involvement with the object of our desire. In both cases, we think about the person, wonder what they are doing. We are involved.

I've swung between love and hate for my own mother. Love and hate are very close to each other.

I've seen this love-hate swing with women leaving an abusive relationship. The same woman who would declare she hated all men and would never marry again would swoop in to a new relationship within months. Why? She was living off the high emotion, and could easily swing either way. To really break free she had to let go of the hate, the almost obsessive involvement with her desire.

You can see this with an exiting Witness who perhaps was kicked out. There can be an unhealthy involvement with the old hall, wanting revenge, justice, to force former friends to open their eyes. The ex-JW is still involved, and won't really be free until the emotion is discharged.

On a side note, it annoys me no end when Witnesses declare that householders who reject their message are apathetic. I'm not apathetic; I have done a thorough examination and found the Watchtower to be wanting. I firmly reject the WTS!

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

A weak cup of coffee

• caliber
    caliber

I'm not apathetic; I have done a thorough examination and found the Watchtower to be wanting. I firmlyreject the WTS!

So then does this mean you are not indifferent , emotions are involved ?

...thus the debate does logic involve emotions

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Caliber, Einstein didn't believe in a theistic God: that attribution is false.

http://www.snopes.com/religion/einstein.asp

I've always accepted the opposite being indifference, as anger and love are strong emotions that can be evaulated by PET scan in emotional centers of the brain. Indifference is a lack of activity of brain waves in those same areas.

Logic is considered as occurring in different areas of the brain (pre-frontal cortex) than emotions (limbic system); so no, the goal of reasoning and rationalism is to try and make decisions with one's "brain", not the "heart" (in the popular misnomer: we don't "feel" or experience emotions with our hearts. Ancient men in Biblical times believed we reasoned with our hearts, and experienced emotions with our kidneys:that includes Jesus, and even God).

Emotions in brain:

http://www.psycheducation.org/emotion/brain%20pix.htm

• Satanus
    Satanus

I'm getting more and more indifferent to jws. At my mother's death, my sis contacted for the necesary transactions. While i love my sis and supported her in all the processes, and was very helpful and friendly, i felt at peace w not bringign up any negativity toward her jw religion. I don't feel an obligation to put in effort to getting her out. When she is ready, then i would help, of course. But, until then, it's her life, her decisions.

S

• Satanus
    Satanus

By the original analogy, that would mean that i don't love her. Ooops. Whatever.

S

• caliber
    caliber

King solomon I get your point.. I had erased it even before your comment .. but thanks anyway

• caliber
    caliber
    By the original analogy, that would mean that i don't love her. Ooops. Whatever.
    S

This is my point I can't see how love and indifference can be true opposites

Does not every situation evoke some subtle emotions conclusion ? Our sense of direction .. what is right or wrong ?

Now that I know what I know I can't go back
    .... is it not some emotional responce that make a person"feel "this way

I "feel " uneasy dealing with such and such, so I avoid it.. you don't just know you are uneasy you "feel ' it

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit