The opposite of love is ......

by caliber 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
    Satanus

I see, calibre. I could also say that indifference is opposite of hate, as it is the opposite of love. So, the original idea postulated isn't accurate, it's some kind of figure of speach?

S

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I knew I was truly over my ex when I stopped caring and became indifferent.

I have always thought this lack of feeling was the opposite of love.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

When you are in pain and someone you loves reacts with indifference and apathy to your pain, it can sure make you feel a lot less loved.

Human beings are flawed. The flaws in any one person can be simple or they can be very complex. If any one human, or group of humans, is indifferent to your suffering, realize that there is probably not some easy, simple reason for the apathy. It's easier, sometimes, to move outside of the experience and to look at it objectively, rather than subjectively. If we can step outside it all, and view it as onlookers, we can possibly understand the human indifference better. Maybe becoming an onlooker will make the experience less painful and more bearable.

• caliber
    caliber
    it's some kind of figure of speach?

Not sure I can answer that.. but figures of speak must relate to reality for it to have any valid meaning

FHN

objectively, rather than subjectively ...so true

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I always think that answering this question is kind of like trying to figure out weight using a ruler. It doesn't really fit that there is an opposite. I do agree that indifference could be considered opposite (using the metaphorical yard stick), and when I felt it toward my now ex-husband, I knew it was over. But another emotion that I think comes close to being opposite is contempt. Once contempt sets in, it is nearly impossible to regain love. Hate---well that's almost easy to recover from when compared to recovering from contempt. I think it is more possible to turn from indifference to love than it is to turn from contempt to love.

But again, I don't think it can be measured with the instruments we have chosen, so my answer is subjective.

• Satanus
    Satanus

'Course, elie wiesel is laying a guilt trip on the vast world population, the rest of the world, really, that had no involvment w jews dying. Using a vague, yet deep sounding phrase would be effective foe that.

S

• caliber
    caliber

I think it is more possible to turn from indifference to love than it is to turn from contempt to love.

That would place indifference in a more neutral position and makes more sense to me.

• TOTH
    TOTH

The opposite of love is emptiness....

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

From just reading the LIE-ble, Jehovah wants simply for us to be his slaves (right from Genesis 2). Satan wanted us free (Genesis 3) and got punished by the sore loser Jehovah (later Genesis 3). Everything beyond that point glorifies Jehovah mass-slaughtering everyone that is not an Israelite or some form of Jewish proselyte. This goes through the Old Testament, where everyone surrounding Israel had the choice to become a practicing Jew or get slaughtered.

The New Testament is not much better. Here, people are judged with future damnation threats unless they become Christians. Jew and Gentile alike are supposed to become practicing Christians or face damnation. Ultimately, neither side spoke out against slavery and torture, and both sides make women second-class citizens (or worse), bash homosexuals, and regulate sex when they should be speaking out against the kind of rubbish that makes things miserable for everyone.

Whether you are looking at the Old Testament where Jehovah slaughters every non-Jew in the area, or the New Testament where he threatens every non-Christian with damnation unless they become Christians, Jehovah is the epitome of hatred and bias. Unlike Satan, who simply wants mankind to be free to live up to his full potential.

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

Think of some random person living in a foreign country on the opposite side of the World, who you'll never know about or meet (heck: let's call him Zhong Zhei, 28).

Do you HATE him as a person? Nope. Do you LOVE him as a person? Nope. You are indifferent to him, as he's not a part of your life. Are you ignoring him? No, it's just that your respective realms of conscious existence have never overlapped, and never will. Every non-family member you've loved in the past was once a stranger to you, but you built a relationship.

Falling out of love is the same: you go your separate ways, and given enough time and other experiences (AKA moving on), and it eventually becomes someone who's name you cannot remember, or even "whatever happened to?". When even that fails to happen, you are truly indifferent.

Satanus used the example of her sister, and expressed indifference for her JW BELIEFS, and NOT indifference for her as her sister, whom presumably she loves (if not, if only loving her for the memory of shared childhood, etc). BIG difference....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit