The opposite of love is ......

by caliber 27 Replies latest jw friends

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

There is no such color as black...

• Heaven
    Heaven

The opposite of love is... oppression, abusiveness (physical, psychological, emotional, mental), subjugation, slavery, poverty, hatred, intolerance, prejudice, pushing someone down to build yourself up, negligence.

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

I've been thinking about this one...

I don't know if it's possible for love to have a direct opposite, but...If there is one, I believe it would be hate, as simplistic as it sounds.

Both love and hate/anger are strong emotions, but it doesn't mean to me that they must be related and that to not have love means directly that one has completely absolved themselves of all feellings, period (indifference). Granted, ambivalence can be had, but I don't believe that just because a person experiences a strong feeling of hate that they must also love the object ( for lack of a better word), or must have once loved the object.

Indifference seems to me to be the blank canvas upon which life's experiences can paint brush strokes of any number of feelings that may be related or not...and can change..

• caliber
    caliber
    I don't know if it's possible for love to have a direct opposite,

this is so true.. so my mind asks myself... why does everything need direct opposites like a mathematical equation anyway?

so the question of what is opposite of love may be bogus... but at least gives food for thought

and it helps me understand this quote better

There is no such color as black...

The "white of love' does exist but black and white thinking need not to...for this itself is showing love

• King Solomon
    King Solomon

this is so true.. so my mind asks myself... why does everything need direct opposites like a mathematical equation anyway?

so the question of what is opposite of love may be bogus... but at least gives food for thought

Now you're getting somewhere.

ALL emotions exist ONLY in our heads, and don't exist outside of a brain, i.e. there is no physical element that can be isolated and concentrated and sold as "pure love".

Instead, all emotions result as an interaction of neurotransmitters stimulating certain receptors in certain areas of the brain, and much like imagining the sound of one hand clapping, you cannot separate the physical hardware from the effect produced. Hence it is irreducible, and hence somewhat pointless to ask if you're looking for an answer.

Hence why it's fun to speculate on things (such as whether love is unconditional or not), but it's a non-theological version of arguing how many angels can sit on the head of a pin (since angels aren't proven to exist).

• Satanus
    Satanus

I love you guys, sometimes;)

S

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

I love you guys, sometimes;)

S

Wheww! So glad you didn't say you are indifferent toward us, sometimes. Because that would be worse that hate, right? It would mean you are devoid of any feelings for us at all. (yes, I'm being a smarty pants)

• caliber
    caliber

So glad you didn't say you are indifferent toward us, sometimes. Because that would be worse that hate, right? It would mean you are devoid of any feelings for us at all (FFF)
    ALL emotions exist ONLY in our heads, and don't exist outside of a brain, i.e. there is no physical element that can be isolated and concentrated and sold as "pure love".(KS)

All emotions may exist only in our heads but do they not play a major roll in decision making , whereby we take action that may change

physical things we do in this world ? Do emotions not change or at least influence our reality & the choices we make ?

I just have this "feeling" the King Soloman sees logic and feelings as being totally set apart somehow... that rational thought

and conclusion can result , without emotional input of any kind. Are emotions mere hindrance to the thinking man ?

King Solomon what are your thoughts on this quote ? ......

In one study, a businessman, Elliot, suffered from a brain tumor that partially damaged his brain, specifically his prefrontal cortex—the emotional center of the brain. As a result, Elliot "lost the ability to experience emotion; and without emotion, rationality was lost and decision-making was a dangerous game of chance." (1) Without emotions, he could no longer analyze the experiences he had lived through, which left him with nothing to tell him whether a decision would be good or bad. Elliot's lack of emotional response to anything that he experienced led to a lack of understanding what is good and what is bad. This case seems to emphasize the importance of emotions in "rational" decision-making. Emotions "are fundamental building blocks out of which an intelligent and fulfilling life can be constructed
    http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/biology/b103/f02/web2/lbang.html

"Emotions are more than just whims or "following your heart;" emotions are a part of how we think "rationally,"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit