JW saved by Bovine Blood Product

by cantleave 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cantleave
    cantleave

Not sure if this has be posted before, I apologise if it has..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1383586/Cows-blood-saves-life-crash-victim-world-procedure.html

Doctors have saved the life of a woman car crash victim with the first ever use of cow’s blood.

Tamara Coakley, 33, rejected a life-saving conventional blood transfusion because of her Jehovah’s Witness faith despite being close to death.

But in a world’s first procedure, a synthetic blood substitute made from cow plasma was used to revive the patient just as her heart was failing through severe blood loss.

The success of the procedure could help combat the worldwide blood supply shortage.

Mrs Coakley’s religion permits the use of blood substitutes and doctors in Melbourne, Australia, flew in ten unites of the haemoglobin- based experimental plasma – called HBOC-2-1 – from the United States where it is being developed by the military.

The cow’s blood product was painstakingly administered over two days to Mrs Coakley, who had been in a medically-induced coma following a horrific car collision last October.

After a few close calls, including a bout of pneumonia, the patient’s haemoglobin levels more than doubled.

Mrs Coakley was overwhelmed by the lengths doctors went to save her life and respect her personal choices.

More...

‘I’m glad something positive could come out of it. They did everything they could. I am so grateful for that,’ she said.

Mrs Coakley was overwhelmed by the lengths doctors went to save her life and resect her personal choices

Mrs Coakley was overwhelmed by the lengths doctors went to save her life and resect her personal choices

Unlike donor blood, it does not require crossmatching and can be stored without refrigeration for up to three years.

‘It’s a bit of science fiction,’ said Associate Professor Mark Fitzgerald, of The Alfred Hospital in Melbourne. ‘Currently only one in 30 people give blood, but one in three will need it.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1383586/Cows-blood-saves-life-crash-victim-world-procedure.html#ixzz28PtxvfYd
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Whatever way round you put it, the blood still has to be donated. It stil has to be harvested and processed. It astounds me that the illogical nonsense of this basic reality continualy goes over most Witness's heads.

• inbetween
    inbetween

"Mrs Coakley’s religion permits the use of blood substitutes and doctors in Melbourne, Australia, flew in ten unites of the haemoglobin- based experimental plasma – called HBOC-2-1 – from the United States where it is being developed by the military."

interesting, comes from the military, or even worse, probably developed by real doctors who enjoyed higher education, one of Satans snares....I feel like puking with soo much hypocrizy....

anyway on the hand, I´m happy that she could be saved, and that in some way, the whole blood doctrine is being undermined so much already...

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Good for her! And she didn't violate her Christian-trained, bible-based conscience because a bunch of old guys she doesn't even know made the decision for her!

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

Bovine blood, huh? I thought even animal blood must be "poured upon the ground." In addition to refusing human blood for transfusion, animal blood must not be eaten. It too must be removed and properly disposed. How do they justify this case when the product was made with bovine plasma (one of the WBTS 4 main forbidden components of blood)?

The fact that bone marrow (where blood is actually made) transplants are a conscience matter for JWs proves that the GB has little to no understanding of basic biology and medical science.

The fact that every blood sacrifice in the Bible was an atonement (including Jesus's), meaning the animal from which the blood was spilled died, also shows the glaring error of JW interpretation on this doctrine. The people who donate blood or chose to preserve and store their own do not die. Therefore, no atonement sacrifice was made, assigning no sacred nature to the blood used in transfusions.

• falseprophet
    falseprophet

So, now JWs don't have to properly bleed animals before eating them? Black pudding (blood sausage) is now permissable?

I see the article states that the religions "allows blood substitutes". How is blood a substitute for blood?

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

No, falseprophet...

But I'm sure if you had fractional sausage or fractional blood pudding, that would be AOK.

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

Current JW blood doctrine analogy:

Cars are banned for purchase or driving.

Use of: car exhaust, electricity generated from the battery, the cool from the AC, the heat from the heater, the radio, CD and mp3 ports, the cup holders, the glove compartment, the trunk, the comfy seats, arm rests, mirrors and the spare tire are all acceptable if your conscience allows you to use them--provided it's from a donated or borrowed vehicle. And you can't share these comforts with anyone else.

Car factories? oh, well... yeah, those are fine.

?????????????????

• blondie
    blondie

Plasma is considered a COMPONENT by the WTS NOT a FRACTION.

"Jehovah's Witnesses do not accept transfusions of whole blood or the four primary components of blood namely, red blood cells, white blood cells, platelets, and plasma. They also do not donate or store their own blood for transfusion." Kingdom Ministry Nov 2006 p.3

http://www.jwfacts.com/pdf/blood-substitutes-tcm18-191343.pdf

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

Agreed, Blondie! Why isn't this gal getting DFed then? It will be interesting to see if she gets in any trouble now. Especially after this story is public to the world!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit