What Made You Question "The Truth"?

by minimus 53 Replies latest jw friends

• jam
    jam

Sitting in a JC meeting and DFing a close friend.( a good man).

• paladin
    paladin

The failed 1975 prediction and then being told that the members were at fault for running ahead of themselves. Also the 1914 Generation definition changes.

• rekless
    rekless

It all started when the society filed a friend of the court brief in behald of the tele-evangalist Jimmy Swaggart to protect him from paying taxes on his books, and other items he was selling . After the case was lost, that was when the org. went to the contribution system to keep from paying taxes on their literature and lunches served at the assemblies.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

For me there were several factors that all coalesced around the last three years to raise my suspicions, and brought me to start questioning things.

1. I saw many close friends and family that just didn't seem to get these great blessing of Holy Spirit (that we all keep hearing about in the yearbooks), to help them overcome life’s difficulties in pursuit of pioneering goals. My sister had a nervous breakdown while pioneering and starting a part time business to support herself. Where is Jah's blessing when you need it most, eh?

2. The end not coming "sooner rather than later" as was drilled into my head from my youth. I wasn't supposed to graduate high school that was 17 years ago!

3. The sentiment from number 3, coupled with the chaffing yoke of endless burden that the society puts on us. You put up with this because you keep telling yourself it's just for a little while longer. Then the new generation teaching came out and it made my blood boil. Now there is no end to carrying the heavy burden, I could die an old man with this "new light".

4. The absolute mind numbing content of the meetings lately. I seem to recall more history and stuff that was somewhat more interesting than what they have now. The KM's and WT's the last several years have just been so boring. As an appointed brother it was so hard to make this stuff into anything from the platform. I hated watching the friends eyes glaze over, and just didn't have the stomach for it anymore.

After thinking much on these things, I decided that no future hope was worth spending the rest of my life doing this on, and just quit going to meetings cold turkey. It was very hard but I was determined to be free.

Now I have my weekends and evenings to refresh myself, read, watch t.v. play video games etc. and I already feel several years younger by not having that milestone around my neck anymore; it's been wonderful, and I'm never going back.

• bennyk
    bennyk

There were a number of Watchtower doctrines I had rejected over the years. But that wasn't enough.

One day I realized I really didn't want my children or my non-Witness friends to be(come) Witnesses.

And then I wondered why that was...

• yknot
    yknot

What Made Me Question"The Troof"?

I stumbled onto JWN....

Was given opportunity to download older publications, encouraged to review the"'Finished Mystery" ...

If I had never accidently clicked onto JWD that day.....I would be sitting in my seat right now frustrated but steadfast in my dedication instead of outside on the curb popping onto JWN....its a nice night btw...

Probably time for the announcements.....cya

• minimus
    minimus

Jwd/jwn has stumbled many,

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

When they came up with "solutions(??)" that made problems worse or guaranteed that they would never be fixed (meeting men as a "solution(??)" to not getting the opposite sex), that was enough.

• jws
    jws

I wish I was like others and questioned it. I didn't really. And now I feel really stupid for not questioning.

Oh there was an issue about the "heart" not being figurative that I knew to be wrong (ie, the heart doesn't have emotions). But they corrected it.

I was born-in, so maybe because it was all I knew. Maybe because I wasn't really paying close attention and just going through the motions. I was never a happy JW. Hated Field Service, hated meetings, never really felt God guiding me towards JW things. If anything, I might say I had a curiosity about why those that left did. And what those apostates had to say that everybody was so afraid of them.

At about age 18 I started to live life more like a wordly person. Which garnered hatred from some at the hall. A few years later, meeting attendance dropped, then became non-existant. I was dating a wordly girl who freaked out when I told her I was a JW. Her mom had taped some religious show about JWs and through one of the guests on the show (an arch-nemesis of my father) I ordered Crisis of Conscience.

That opened my eyes. I hadn't been attending, but felt guilty about it and felt I should return someday and learn to love it. After reading Crisis of Conscience, I decided not to go back. The thing that stood out for me was how man-made it all was. God wasn't directing it. It was men and men that made the mistakes of men. I immediately lost all the guilt I had and felt free.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I was born in, and always things did not add up, it was not "normal". When I was pre-school age I was embarassed to be a JW, but did not really spell out to myself why, none of my family were in the least embarrassed, they were proud of it.

I questioned a lot, never got satisfactory answers.

I was spurred into action, well inaction actually, I stopped going in F.S , when no one could prove to me the 1914 doctrine from scripture, and of course everything else hangs on that one.

Within months the screeching demands of the Governing body for loyalty (worship) got too much and I walked away for good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit